Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Waterproof Exterior Wood Garage Door Panels

The sprinkler near the garage door keeps the bottom panel(s) wetter
than otherwise in South Florida's semi-topical climate. It is time to
replace the door panels once again. They are no longer made of the
world's best lumber - style and rail affairs with a plyeood panel
insert.

Last time I tried two coats of exterior primer and three oats of
exterior latex flat and the job didn't last two years in places and I
had to repair sections of the rails.

SO, I thought to check-in here and see if there were any trucks of the
trade one or more of you might share to help me best protect the $130
replacement panels the need replacing now.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
The sprinkler near the garage door keeps the bottom panel(s) wetter
than otherwise in South Florida's semi-topical climate. It is time to
replace the door panels once again. They are no longer made of the
world's best lumber - style and rail affairs with a plyeood panel
insert.

Last time I tried two coats of exterior primer and three oats of
exterior latex flat and the job didn't last two years in places and I
had to repair sections of the rails.

SO, I thought to check-in here and see if there were any trucks of the
trade one or more of you might share to help me best protect the $130
replacement panels the need replacing now.

I think the simplest solution would be to correct the sprinkler problem. Is
repairing the door every 2 years less trouble than correcting the sprinkler
application in that spot?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message

I think the simplest solution would be to correct the sprinkler problem.
Is repairing the door every 2 years less trouble than correcting the
sprinkler application in that spot?

BINGO, Leon! In the dozen or so years I was 'contracting' I couldn't
estimate how much rotted siding or how many rotted windows or window sills
we replaced/repaired account people's sprinkler systems were watering the
house as much as the flower beds.
Sometimes I think irrigation systems are just another status symbol,
like lawn crews and a Beemer in the driveway.

Dave in Houston

Posted to rec.woodworking

Agreed. Treat the disease, not a symptom of it. Otherwise, rebuild
your garage door with composite material or metal.

Sonny
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 3/4/2010 7:14 AM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
The sprinkler near the garage door keeps the bottom panel(s) wetter
than otherwise in South Florida's semi-topical climate. It is time to
replace the door panels once again. They are no longer made of the
world's best lumber - style and rail affairs with a plywood panel
insert.

I agree with Leon on fixing the sprinkler setup.

I had a similar problem (with a 20-year cycle rather than 2-year) and
applied the crowbar to buy the monsterous bit set from MLCS to cut new
rails and stiles from Menards' best 2x4s, and sacrificed a sheet of
their fine (well, maybe not so fine) 1/4" plywood and built a new panel.

I used dowels and Gorilla Glue and if I were doing it today, I'd use
Titebond III and pocket screws.

I gave the panel three coats of polyurethane, sanded the top coat
lightly, primed, and applied latex. It's been five years now, and the
panel still looks like new.

I applied the savings from not buying a new weatherproof door toward a
new B&D variable-speed router and a Jessum router table and lift to do
the routing.

A new door would have been cheaper, but I've enjoyed the new router
setup.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to rec.woodworking

(1) Move the sprinkler
(2) Buy a metal garage door
(3) Chevy & Ford make nice trucks of the trade