DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Waterproof Exterior Wood Garage Door Panels (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/299181-waterproof-exterior-wood-garage-door-panels.html)

Hoosierpopi March 4th 10 01:14 PM

Waterproof Exterior Wood Garage Door Panels

The sprinkler near the garage door keeps the bottom panel(s) wetter
than otherwise in South Florida's semi-topical climate. It is time to
replace the door panels once again. They are no longer made of the
world's best lumber - style and rail affairs with a plyeood panel
insert.

Last time I tried two coats of exterior primer and three oats of
exterior latex flat and the job didn't last two years in places and I
had to repair sections of the rails.

SO, I thought to check-in here and see if there were any trucks of the
trade one or more of you might share to help me best protect the $130
replacement panels the need replacing now.

Leon[_6_] March 4th 10 02:27 PM

"Hoosierpopi" wrote in message
The sprinkler near the garage door keeps the bottom panel(s) wetter
than otherwise in South Florida's semi-topical climate. It is time to
replace the door panels once again. They are no longer made of the
world's best lumber - style and rail affairs with a plyeood panel
insert.

Last time I tried two coats of exterior primer and three oats of
exterior latex flat and the job didn't last two years in places and I
had to repair sections of the rails.

SO, I thought to check-in here and see if there were any trucks of the
trade one or more of you might share to help me best protect the $130
replacement panels the need replacing now.

I think the simplest solution would be to correct the sprinkler problem. Is
repairing the door every 2 years less trouble than correcting the sprinkler
application in that spot?

Dave In Texas March 4th 10 02:59 PM

"Leon" wrote in message

I think the simplest solution would be to correct the sprinkler problem.
Is repairing the door every 2 years less trouble than correcting the
sprinkler application in that spot?

BINGO, Leon! In the dozen or so years I was 'contracting' I couldn't
estimate how much rotted siding or how many rotted windows or window sills
we replaced/repaired account people's sprinkler systems were watering the
house as much as the flower beds.
Sometimes I think irrigation systems are just another status symbol,
like lawn crews and a Beemer in the driveway.

Dave in Houston

Sonny March 4th 10 04:45 PM

Waterproof Exterior Wood Garage Door Panels

Agreed. Treat the disease, not a symptom of it. Otherwise, rebuild
your garage door with composite material or metal.

Sonny

Morris Dovey March 4th 10 05:06 PM

On 3/4/2010 7:14 AM, Hoosierpopi wrote:
The sprinkler near the garage door keeps the bottom panel(s) wetter
than otherwise in South Florida's semi-topical climate. It is time to
replace the door panels once again. They are no longer made of the
world's best lumber - style and rail affairs with a plywood panel
insert.

I agree with Leon on fixing the sprinkler setup.

I had a similar problem (with a 20-year cycle rather than 2-year) and
applied the crowbar to buy the monsterous bit set from MLCS to cut new
rails and stiles from Menards' best 2x4s, and sacrificed a sheet of
their fine (well, maybe not so fine) 1/4" plywood and built a new panel.

I used dowels and Gorilla Glue and if I were doing it today, I'd use
Titebond III and pocket screws.

I gave the panel three coats of polyurethane, sanded the top coat
lightly, primed, and applied latex. It's been five years now, and the
panel still looks like new.

I applied the savings from not buying a new weatherproof door toward a
new B&D variable-speed router and a Jessum router table and lift to do
the routing.

A new door would have been cheaper, but I've enjoyed the new router
setup. :)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Pat Barber[_2_] March 4th 10 06:26 PM

Waterproof Exterior Wood Garage Door Panels

(1) Move the sprinkler
(2) Buy a metal garage door
(3) Chevy & Ford make nice trucks of the trade