Posted to rec.woodworking

Default MLCS Dovetail Jig?

MLCS has a decent looking dovetail jig, #8706
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html

I'm thinking of getting it.
For $54/shipped, it looks like the best bang-for-the-buck for sub-$100
jigs.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with this jig?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
MLCS has a decent looking dovetail jig, #8706
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html

I'm thinking of getting it.
For $54/shipped, it looks like the best bang-for-the-buck for sub-$100
jigs.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with this jig?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

That sure looks a lot like an old Sears dovetail jig I once had. It worked
ok after a lot of trial and error.
Made plenty of drawers with it though.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 3/2/10 5:22 PM, Max wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
MLCS has a decent looking dovetail jig, #8706
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html

I'm thinking of getting it.
For $54/shipped, it looks like the best bang-for-the-buck for sub-$100
jigs.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with this jig?

That sure looks a lot like an old Sears dovetail jig I once had. It
worked ok after a lot of trial and error.
Made plenty of drawers with it though.

Max

Anyone have any hands-on experience with this jig?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Mike

I thought that jig looks a lot like the Porter Cable 4112 see photo
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/pc4112.htm and after looking at the manual it
is the old PC one. They have the same exact measurement that my manual has,
19/32" from the edge of the board. I bet there a ton of people who have
used the PC version and could give feedback.

I have the 4112 and it has been pretty handy. I used it quite a bit when I
was making a bunch of draws for a project.

Nothing fancy.

Larry C

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
On 3/2/10 5:22 PM, Max wrote:
"-MIKE-" wrote in message
MLCS has a decent looking dovetail jig, #8706
http://www.mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/smarthtml/pages/dovetailjig.html

I'm thinking of getting it.
For $54/shipped, it looks like the best bang-for-the-buck for sub-$100
jigs.

Anyone have any hands-on experience with this jig?

That sure looks a lot like an old Sears dovetail jig I once had. It
worked ok after a lot of trial and error.
Made plenty of drawers with it though.

Max

Anyone have any hands-on experience with this jig?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Sorry. Won't bother you any more.

Max (back in the cave)

Posted to rec.woodworking

I thought that jig looks a lot like the Porter Cable 4112 see photo
http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/pc4112.htm and after looking at the
manual it is the old PC one. They have the same exact measurement that
my manual has, 19/32" from the edge of the board. I bet there a ton of
people who have used the PC version and could give feedback.

I have the 4112 and it has been pretty handy. I used it quite a bit when
I was making a bunch of draws for a project.

Nothing fancy.

Larry C

Thanks, Larry. I don't always like fancy. Sometimes, simpler is
betterer. :-)

I got my hands all over the HF jig and it really looks and feels like a
POS. All the adjustment knobs are in the way of the other knobs and
some of the key parts are plastic. I read some reviews of the HF and
they all say that it works OK, *after* you tweak it up or build parts
for it, or whatever.

I don't want to spend $150 for a jig, but I don't want to have to
re-engineer the thing, either. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Mar 2010 20:18:14 -0600, the infamous -MIKE-
scrawled the following:

[...]

How does $20 sound? Get this instead:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=0e0_1267571546 (Oops, not that.)
This: http://fwd4.me/0OJ From $15.39, delivered. You'll have the
method up and running smoothly in a day. Mo betta than jigs.

--
I am beginning to learn that it is the sweet, simple things of life
which are the real ones after all. --Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957)

MLCS Router Plate Locutus Woodworking 7 August 9th 06 05:08 PM
mlcs router bit set [email protected] Woodworking 15 July 18th 05 01:30 AM
MLCS MARVEL 60 router D Shack Woodworking 11 March 14th 05 04:15 AM
How to Make DoveTail Joints? Dovetail Saws charlie b Woodworking 5 January 27th 04 02:46 PM
Router Bits From MLCS RJD74 Woodworking 4 September 8th 03 05:52 AM