Default mlcs router bit set

Any opinions on the 66 piece mlcs router bit set for $190. It seems like a
fairly good deal for the weekend woodworker.
http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_...ages/set66.htm
Duane Bozarth

" wrote:

Any opinions on the 66 piece mlcs router bit set for $190. It seems like a
fairly good deal for the weekend woodworker.
http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_...ages/set66.htm

MLCS stuff has had middle-of-the-road ratings for inexpensive bits in
various places I've seen. For occasional use, you'll probably be
happy....it is a lot of profiles for a pretty inexpensive start.
bob

You won't use 52 of those bits and the quality is so-so. You're better off
to buy a dozen high quality bits that you'll use all the time.

wrote in message
Any opinions on the 66 piece mlcs router bit set for $190. It seems like a
fairly good deal for the weekend woodworker.
http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_...ages/set66.htm

toller

"bob" wrote in message
.. .
You won't use 52 of those bits and the quality is so-so. You're better
off to buy a dozen high quality bits that you'll use all the time.

Other times this issue has come up people have reported that the bits are
smaller than the normal priced mlcs bits.

George

"bob" wrote in message
.. .
You won't use 52 of those bits and the quality is so-so. You're better
off to buy a dozen high quality bits that you'll use all the time.

The difficulty arises in determining which bits you will be using all the
time since you don't have them to find out.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 06:28:14 -0400, "George" George@least wrote:

"bob" wrote in message
. ..
You won't use 52 of those bits and the quality is so-so. You're better
off to buy a dozen high quality bits that you'll use all the time.

The difficulty arises in determining which bits you will be using all the
time since you don't have them to find out.

that's ass backwards thinking. decide what you want to build, then
figure out what tools you need to build it. then go get the ones on
the list you don't have yet.

if the set was free having a bunch of unused ones sitting around would
just be wasted space, but if you have to pay for them, then they are
both wasted space _and_ wasted money. and being cheapo bits, the ones
you do use will do a lousy job and wear out quickly.
Lew Hodgett

Subject

If you have extra money you want to **** away, then buy the MLCS set.

If you DO NOT have extra money you want to **** away, then DO NOT buy
the MLCS set.

Lew
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
that's ass backwards thinking. decide what you want to build, then
figure out what tools you need to build it. then go get the ones on
the list you don't have yet.

Have you never cut a piece of wood and after doing a round-over wondered how
it would look with a different size? Or a contour instead of a roundover?
You either have limited imagination, or have an absolute perfect mind for
design.

OK, they are not the best quality bits, but having a few extras is not such
a big waste of space.

I'm really happy for you that you can start a project and never make a
change. I waste a lot of time doing things like that.

loutent

I have about a dozen or so MLCS bits and a few shaper
cutters as well. They are medium duty and not bad for
the price.

That said, I just ordered a bunch of Whiteside bits from
Hartville since they have 20% off this month. The price
difference is not that great, so why not get a quality bit
if you can.

BTW, they also have a starter bit set in their closeout
section for around $60 (1/4, not Whiteside).

Lou

In article , Edwin Pawlowski
wrote:

wrote in message
that's ass backwards thinking. decide what you want to build, then
figure out what tools you need to build it. then go get the ones on
the list you don't have yet.

Have you never cut a piece of wood and after doing a round-over wondered how
it would look with a different size? Or a contour instead of a roundover?
You either have limited imagination, or have an absolute perfect mind for
design.

OK, they are not the best quality bits, but having a few extras is not such
a big waste of space.

I'm really happy for you that you can start a project and never make a
change. I waste a lot of time doing things like that.

On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 15:11:52 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

wrote in message
that's ass backwards thinking. decide what you want to build, then
figure out what tools you need to build it. then go get the ones on
the list you don't have yet.

Have you never cut a piece of wood and after doing a round-over wondered how
it would look with a different size? Or a contour instead of a roundover?
You either have limited imagination, or have an absolute perfect mind for
design.

OK, they are not the best quality bits, but having a few extras is not such
a big waste of space.

I'm really happy for you that you can start a project and never make a
change. I waste a lot of time doing things like that.

okay, go ahead and buy 'em. no skin off of my teeth....
George

"bob" wrote in message
You won't use 52 of those bits and the quality is so-so. You're better
off to buy a dozen high quality bits that you'll use all the time.

The difficulty arises in determining which bits you will be using all the
time since you don't have them to find out.

that's ass backwards thinking. decide what you want to build, then
figure out what tools you need to build it. then go get the ones on
the list you don't have yet.

Nope.

First you learn, then you buy. Unless you're some sort of relative of Bill
Gates.

Never learned a thing from a tool I didn't own....

What's happened to the writers in this group? Years ago a question would
get some thoughtful opinion without bitterness and/or personal attacks or
ridicule. That's all I see in this group now.

I know it probably doesn't matter but I'm not rolling in money and I'm
not a novice woodworker. I've been making furniture for our house for ~25
years. I have the basic tools, nothing fancy, and make do most of the
time.

I wanted some honest opinons. For those of you who gave them thanks.
For the others, well I'm glad that your so much superior and better than
me. I wish you well.

I'll think twice about another post in this group.

Sadly I'm gone.

"Dhakala" wrote in
ups.com:

wrote:
Any opinions on the 66 piece mlcs router bit set for $190. It seems
like a fairly good deal for the weekend woodworker.
http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_...tml/pages/set6
6.htm l

Each bit will probably stay sharp as long a razor cartridge.

MakaNui

.. .

wrote in message
Any opinions on the 66 piece mlcs router bit set for $190. It seems like

fairly good deal for the weekend woodworker.

http://mlcswoodworking.com/shopsite_...ages/set66.htm

In my short tenure thus far making chips and dust as well as mechanicing on
the vehicles or anything else that requires the use of tools I've always
bought what I need when I need it. Course I don't have a huge shop with lots
of storage space. Check-book ain't all that big either. I will splurge once
in awhile when that "too good to pass up" deal comes along (which isn't
often) if I have the spare cash and I know it's something I will use. I
really do not need any more cheap tools. I need stuff that lasts. Besides...
you can buy more stuff if you're not busy buying stuff to replace the stuff
that wasn't good stuff ;-)

Aloha...
Craig

CW

Bye.

wrote in message

I'll think twice about another post in this group.

Sadly I'm gone.

Dave

I always buy the Katanza bits from MLCS. They are as good as anything on the
market.

"MakaNui" wrote in message
news:1121645329.6874c847ddc60eeb89618720971df41d@t eranews...

.. .