Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Emulating Scrub Plane

When I was at the WoodWorking Show, someone from LN/V showed me how
to emulate a scrub plane. He was using a Low-angled plane with a blade that
appeared to be ground with a lot of camber. Now I'm asking myself whether
it would be
helpful for it to be "dished" as well--or wouldn't that matter because of
the amount
of camber? I intend to try the same idea with my #5 Jack plane (comments
welcome--please!).
Intuitively, making the blade iron "dished" means removing more metal which
seems bad.

Bill

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bill" wrote in message
When I was at the WoodWorking Show, someone from LN/V showed me how
to emulate a scrub plane. He was using a Low-angled plane with a blade
that
appeared to be ground with a lot of camber. Now I'm asking myself whether
it would be
helpful for it to be "dished" as well--or wouldn't that matter because of
the amount
of camber? I intend to try the same idea with my #5 Jack plane (comments
welcome--please!).
Intuitively, making the blade iron "dished" means removing more metal
which seems bad.

A jack with a fair amount of camber in the iron and an open mouth would have
been the starting place for board preparation in centuries past.... then a
jointer and then a smoother. The scrub is a relatively recent development!

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 28, 3:44*pm, "Bill" wrote:
When I was at the WoodWorking Show, someone from LN/V showed me how
to emulate a scrub plane. *He was using a Low-angled plane with a blade that
appeared to be ground with a lot of camber. *Now I'm asking myself whether
it would be
helpful for it to be "dished" as well--or wouldn't that matter because of
the amount
of camber? *I intend to try the same idea with my #5 Jack plane (comments
welcome--please!).
Intuitively, making the blade iron "dished" means removing more metal which
seems bad.

Bill

Crowning the edge works well enough. Additional advantage is,
when the narrow working part of the edge is dull, tilting the iron
brings a sharp edge back into play.

The 5 will make a good scrub once you set the frog back.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
On Feb 28, 3:44 pm, "Bill" wrote:
[...]

Thank you very much! And John Grossbohlin, thank you for the brief history
lesson--I'm
doomed to repeat it! ; )

Bill