Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Good scrub down vs power washing deck

We are going to restain the deck. Before we do so, we are trying to
decide if we want to power wash it or just use some deck cleaner. If the
latter.. .any suggestions as to kind
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 22, 6:13�pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
� �We are going to restain the deck. Before we do so, we are �trying to
decide if we want to power wash it or just use some deck cleaner. If the
latter.. .any suggestions as to kind

scrub brush with deck cleaner.

pressure washing can damage woood easy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 15:27:30 -0700 (PDT), bob haller
wrote:

On Mar 22, 6:13?pm, Kurt Ullman wrote:
? ?We are going to restain the deck. Before we do so, we are ?trying to
decide if we want to power wash it or just use some deck cleaner. If the
latter.. .any suggestions as to kind

scrub brush with deck cleaner.

pressure washing can damage woood easy

There is a bleaching type cleaner. It helps lighten the wood color.
Use a Nylon brush.

Power washing can be DONE wrong.

I guess the wood needs to dry, before the stain is applied.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
We are going to restain the deck. Before we do so, we are trying to
decide if we want to power wash it or just use some deck cleaner. If the
latter.. .any suggestions as to kind

I was in the same dilemma when I did my deck last summer, therefore, I did
both. I scrubbed with a solution and deck brush. After it dried, I cold
still see that black residue on some boards. Then I borrowed a friends
powerwasher and what a difference. I also tried the bleach solution on a few
boards and it definitely brightens the boards. If you use it, use it all
evenly over the entire deck, otherwise, I believe the powerwashing will be
fine.

The secret to NOT damaging the deck during powerwashing is spraying distance
from boards and constant movement. The distance will be determined by the
power of the spray and never stay in one area. It was the first time for me
and I didn't have a problem. Of course, my deck was only a year old. Using a
PW on older rotted wood can spray off much of the decaying spots and pit the
boards. This is where you really have to be careful. There is a device you
can attach to the wand of the sprayer to keep a constant distance from the
wood. It contains wheels and you roll it along and the same distance all
over.

Overall, it wasn't bad at all. Just make sure you pick a sunny week. It'll
requires 24 to 48 hours for the deck to dry then another 48 to 72 for the
stain to dry, though, depending on type of stain.

Good luck

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Kurt Ullman" wrote in message
We are going to restain the deck. Before we do so, we are trying to
decide if we want to power wash it or just use some deck cleaner. If the
latter.. .any suggestions as to kind

Scrubbing is probably all you need. Power washing can do a lot of damage if
you don't know how to do it. It can cut grooves and tear up the grain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 22 Mar 2009 18:13:41 -0400, Kurt Ullman
wrote:

We are going to restain the deck. Before we do so, we are trying to
decide if we want to power wash it or just use some deck cleaner. If the
latter.. .any suggestions as to kind

1/2 cup TSP
1/2 cup household bleach
1 gallon warm water

Dissolve the TSP in water, add bleach, use in a garden sprayer. Wear
old clothing.