Robert11

Default Pressure Washing, And Stain Color On A Wooden Deck ?

Hello:

Moved into a house that has a wooden deck.
It apparently was stained brown, and the brown stain color is in fairly good
condition.

I guess these types of stains are nothing more than a surface treatment,
although it might be absorbed a little) also ?

But, the deck is really "dirty and grimy"

So, I guess I'll do a pressure washing of it, and apply a new deck stain.

Have never used a pressure washer on a deck before.

Was wondering if the washing is "likely" to remove any of the brown stain
color, or can I just assume
it will only clean off the surface dirt ?

I'm asking as I would like to re-apply a clear stain, and not have to worry
about matching to the existing brown color.

Thanks,
Bob

Phisherman

On Sun, 5 Jun 2005 12:41:36 -0400, "Robert11"
wrote:

Hello:

Moved into a house that has a wooden deck.
It apparently was stained brown, and the brown stain color is in fairly good
condition.

I guess these types of stains are nothing more than a surface treatment,
although it might be absorbed a little) also ?

But, the deck is really "dirty and grimy"

So, I guess I'll do a pressure washing of it, and apply a new deck stain.

Have never used a pressure washer on a deck before.

Was wondering if the washing is "likely" to remove any of the brown stain
color, or can I just assume
it will only clean off the surface dirt ?

Washing will remove some stain, but stain does seep into the wood
unlike paint.

I'm asking as I would like to re-apply a clear stain, and not have to worry
about matching to the existing brown color.

Clear stains (even the ones with UV protection) are not as good as
those with some pigment. Getting a stain that is close in color
should be good enough.

Thanks,
Bob

Josh

"Robert11" wrote

Have never used a pressure washer on a deck before.

Was wondering if the washing is "likely" to remove any of the brown stain
color, or can I just assume
it will only clean off the surface dirt ?

I'm asking as I would like to re-apply a clear stain, and not have to

worry
about matching to the existing brown color.

Bob,

Before you rent a pressure washer and destroy your deck, I suggest doing a
lot of reading.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...&btnG=Se arch

Hopkins

Yeah, solid color stains are most effective for decks... then
semi-transparent... clear stains are least effective.

Stain soaks in -- paint forms a film on top.

Main points about pressure washing --
getting the tip too close will chew up the wood.
you'll want to do one [maybe 2, depending on tip used] board at a time,
from end to end.
move in one, long continuous motion. starting and stopping will show
overlap marks and staining afterward won't look good.

You could change color, though going with something much different may
allow the brown to show through some.

Detergents and cleaners FAQ [email protected] UK diy 49 September 25th 05 11:34 PM
HELP - Soap for pressure washing a house Harry Everhart Home Repair 4 March 3rd 05 03:50 PM
Will solid stain cover old stain on a deck? Mike in DE. Home Repair 1 September 7th 04 08:17 PM
acid stain concrete WHoME? Home Repair 8 August 5th 04 03:05 AM
Cedar deck maintenance Eric Woodworking 3 October 11th 03 10:39 PM