Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to scrub an awning that is very tough to access?

Raccoons have been cavorting on our 200 square foot awning that is over
a between-buildings gathering area.(at a school) Little pawprints are
everywhere - and very visible when you are hanging out under the
awning.

We have tried reaching with 20 foot brushed from each side of the
awning, but we cannot get enough muscle behind the scrubbing from so
far away. And going out on the ribbing of the awning is not feasible
either.(they are not strong enough)

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

FacilityFred wrote:
Raccoons have been cavorting on our 200 square foot awning that is over
a between-buildings gathering area.(at a school) Little pawprints are
everywhere - and very visible when you are hanging out under the
awning.

We have tried reaching with 20 foot brushed from each side of the
awning, but we cannot get enough muscle behind the scrubbing from so
far away. And going out on the ribbing of the awning is not feasible
either.(they are not strong enough)

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Mike

Send a plea to your local power company or other utility service and
see if the can do a good will service for your scholl / children and
send over one of their cherry pickers. If the bucket can situate itself
over the awning some regular diluted cleaner and the brush or even a
power washer would make the job easier and much safer. Other than that
I can only suggest removing the awning, cleaning it and reinstalling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

FacilityFred wrote:
[...]

That would work if the utility is generous, if not you can rent an
aerial lift and a pressure washer from numerous places like United
Rentals, Nations Rent and even Home Depot. You most likely don't need
the big self propelled lift either, they have a smaller towable one that
will hold one person vs. the big self propelled jobs that need to be
delivered on a semi and will hold two people plus heavy tools. Suggest
also looking for a solution to keeping the vermin off the thing as well
so you don't have to keep doing this.

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair

FacilityFred wrote:
Raccoons have been cavorting on our 200 square foot awning that is
over a between-buildings gathering area.(at a school) Little
pawprints are everywhere - and very visible when you are hanging out
under the awning.

We have tried reaching with 20 foot brushed from each side of the
awning, but we cannot get enough muscle behind the scrubbing from so
far away. And going out on the ribbing of the awning is not feasible
either.(they are not strong enough)

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Leave them alone? Paw prints from critters are fun for kids.

I remember a story wherein an elementary school class had an Easter chick -
"Mr Peeps" was its name. The kids were gathered around watching the chick do
chick things at recess when a hawk swooped down and grabbed the chick.

Took it to the top of a light pole and ate it. But only the tender, yummy
parts. The less preferable parts (beak, feet, etc.) fell to the ground,
along with a few feathers and drops of chick fluids.

This was a "learning opportunity" as the educationists say. The kids
couldn't stop talking about it!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Dec 2006 18:02:23 -0800, "FacilityFred"
wrote:

Raccoons have been cavorting on our 200 square foot awning that is over
a between-buildings gathering area.(at a school) Little pawprints are
everywhere - and very visible when you are hanging out under the
awning.

We have tried reaching with 20 foot brushed from each side of the
awning, but we cannot get enough muscle behind the scrubbing from so
far away. And going out on the ribbing of the awning is not feasible
either.(they are not strong enough)

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Learn to love pawprints?

Or rent a cherrypicker.

CLimb out an overhanging window on a rope.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks for all the tips. We don't have good access for a cherry picker.
Has anybody ever tried putting little wheels near the nozzle of a power
washer and guiding it around from 15 feet away?

Mike

FacilityFred wrote:
Raccoons have been cavorting on our 200 square foot awning that is over
a between-buildings gathering area.(at a school) Little pawprints are
everywhere - and very visible when you are hanging out under the
awning.

We have tried reaching with 20 foot brushed from each side of the
awning, but we cannot get enough muscle behind the scrubbing from so
far away. And going out on the ribbing of the awning is not feasible
either.(they are not strong enough)

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Mike

Posted to alt.home.repair

FacilityFred wrote:
Raccoons have been cavorting on our 200 square foot awning that is over
a between-buildings gathering area.(at a school) Little pawprints are
everywhere - and very visible when you are hanging out under the
awning.

We have tried reaching with 20 foot brushed from each side of the
awning, but we cannot get enough muscle behind the scrubbing from so
far away. And going out on the ribbing of the awning is not feasible
either.(they are not strong enough)

Does anybody have any suggestions?

Mike

Awning Problems [email protected] Home Repair 1 December 9th 06 09:31 PM
Neander at crossroads - buy scrub or jointer plane next? Mighty Quinn Woodworking 13 January 16th 06 02:10 PM
Mould on Awning Cattrell UK diy 3 May 28th 05 11:16 AM
Sunsetter Awning? Sparky Home Repair 2 April 19th 05 12:53 AM
scrub planes - can you convert a jack plane? McQualude Woodworking 18 September 9th 03 05:05 PM