McQualude

Default scrub planes - can you convert a jack plane?

I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?
--
McQualude
Conan the Librarian

McQualude wrote in message ...

I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?

Been there, tried that, bought a scrub.

I started with a new POS Stanley #4, and tried setting the cap iron
way back, moving the frog back, and radiusing the iron. It worked ...
somewhat.

Then I bought an old wooden jack and radiused the iron on it. It
worked ... somewhat better.

Then I found a #40 for about $40 from an oldtools dealer. I never
looked back.

The deal is a real scrub is very narrow and light and has no
cap-iron or adjuster to worry about. It is the right tool for the
job. The wooden jack makes a passable scrub because it's light, but
it's still too wide. The metal plane was too wide and too difficult
to get "unadjusted" to work that way.

You can play around with different radii and depth of cut to make
your converted smoother or jack easier to push, but it's nothing like
getting a proper scrub set up and taking "shavings" that (to
paraphrase Bob Z.) you *rake* off your shop floor. And those who use
them say that a *wooden* scrub is even better (but I like the knob and
tote from a metal Stanley).

If you plan to surface wood on a semi-regular basis, it's worth
your while to go ahead and "cry once".

Chuck Vance

snip
McQualude wrote:
I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?
McQualude

I picked up am old Satanley #40 for $12 last year in PA. Before that I
was using a Fulton #5 with a highly radiused blade. Took a bit more
work because the blade was about an 1" wider than a real scrub and not
as thick, but it gave a better surface, so it took out some cleanup work
at the same time. Came out as a wash I guess. The answer is yes and
no.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Fred the Red Shirt

McQualude wrote in message ...
I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?

A 5 1/4 is a bit narrower and shorter than a 5 and so might be
a better choice.

The jack won't cut as deep as a real scrub but it will take off
a wider shaving so maybe you'd get to the same thickness jsut as fast.

Also, there's no reason you can't put a narrower cutter in a plane,
but I'd hesitate to use a #2 sized iron that way just because they're
a bit scarce.

--

FF
Jamie Jackson

On Fri, 15 Aug 2003 12:54:59 GMT, went down to the
crossroads and wrote:

I picked up am old Satanley #40 for $12 last year in PA.

I'll bet it's a damned fine plane... nice as Hell. I had a Devil of a
time finding one.

;-)

Jamie

snip
Jamie Jackson wrote:
I'll bet it's a damned fine plane... nice as Hell. I had a Devil of a
time finding one.
;-)

Jamie

I'll see if my digicam is working and post a pic.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Dr. Rev. Chuck, M.D. P.A.

Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

McQualude wrote in message ...
I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?

A 5 1/4 is a bit narrower and shorter than a 5 and so might be
a better choice.

The jack won't cut as deep as a real scrub but it will take off
a wider shaving so maybe you'd get to the same thickness jsut as fast.

Also, there's no reason you can't put a narrower cutter in a plane,
but I'd hesitate to use a #2 sized iron that way just because they're
a bit scarce.

Grind to a deep crown, about 1/8 to 1/4". Set the blade depth to 1/16",
and it'll take narrow shavings. Advantage here is when the working edge
segment dulls, nudging the tilt lever exposes sharp iron.

Jamie,
pix on ABPW
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Eric Lund

"Steve Knight" wrote in message

Grind to a deep crown, about 1/8 to 1/4". Set the blade depth to 1/16",
and it'll take narrow shavings. Advantage here is when the working edge
segment dulls, nudging the tilt lever exposes sharp iron.

there you goo a good idea. though jack is a bit heavy for a scrub. time to

drill
holes in it to make it move faster (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Eek!!! Don't even say that. The image of drilling holes in my LN 5 1/2
will give me nightmares for a week. ;-)

Mike

McQualude wrote in message ...
I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?

I was looking for a Stanley #40 but none came my way so I bought an
ECE scrub from Lee Valley (I think that's where I got it). It works
well even in the hands of a newbie like me.

Cheers,
Mike

tim collins

McQualude wrote in message ...
I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?

I did this with a no name jack (copy of copy of a stanely, I think).
Radius the blade. I think it was a 3 inch radius--used a 6 inch circle
cut out of plywood to steady the blade with against the grinder to
make the edge. This is a fairly deep radius edge, results in a narrow
"shaving" but can really hog off material well.

Prior to the change, the jack plane was a POS, wouldn't work for
anything, even with a Hock blade. Now it earns its keep.

tim
Fred the Red Shirt

"Eric Lund" wrote in message m...
"Steve Knight" wrote in message

Grind to a deep crown, about 1/8 to 1/4". Set the blade depth to 1/16",
and it'll take narrow shavings. Advantage here is when the working edge
segment dulls, nudging the tilt lever exposes sharp iron.

there you goo a good idea. though jack is a bit heavy for a scrub. time to

drill
holes in it to make it move faster (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

Eek!!! Don't even say that. The image of drilling holes in my LN 5 1/2
will give me nightmares for a week. ;-)

Right. Drill them in your LN 5 1/4.

--

FF

snip
Mike wrote:
I think Jamie was just having fun with your mispelling of Stanley (you
wrote Satanley).
Cheers,
Mike

I guess I'd better break out another case of smiley faces. chris, I
meant to spell it that way. Sorry
Dav in Fiarfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
Larry Jaques

Default scrub planes - can you convert a jack plane?Steve Knight??

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:20:03 -0500, Ramsey
pixelated:

Steve, why don't you start a business converting planes into scrub
planes? I have 2 I'll send you today!

Hey, send 'em to me. My knee's better and I'll put my hot
list (y'know, the bow saur and the carving bench) aside
and do 'em first thing next week if not sooner.

Forward $150 for each and I'll cover return shipment.

How scrubby do you want the irons, a smile or a BSEG?

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
Ramsey

Wow. Well, maybe I don't need ALL $150 worth. Say $25 worth. What'll
that get me? And I got a bad knee too. Hey, maybe we could get
together and feel sorry for each other!

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 03:06:38 GMT, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:20:03 -0500, Ramsey
pixelated:

Steve, why don't you start a business converting planes into scrub
planes? I have 2 I'll send you today!

Hey, send 'em to me. My knee's better and I'll put my hot
list (y'know, the bow saur and the carving bench) aside
and do 'em first thing next week if not sooner.

Forward $150 for each and I'll cover return shipment.

How scrubby do you want the irons, a smile or a BSEG?

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design

Larry Jaques

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 22:20:24 -0500, Ramsey
pixelated:

Wow. Well, maybe I don't need ALL $150 worth. Say $25 worth. What'll
that get me?

For that, you pay shipping and I'll grind the grin on them
and let you hone them. You need the practice, anyway.
Deal?

And I got a bad knee too. Hey, maybe we could get
together and feel sorry for each other!

There ya go!

I drive way too fast to worry about my cholesterol.
http://www.diversify.com Refreshing Graphic Design
Steve Knight

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 13:20:03 -0500, Ramsey wrote:

Steve, why don't you start a business converting planes into scrub
planes? I have 2 I'll send you today!

There you go (G)

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
George

You looked at woodies?
http://www.toolsforworkingwood.com/i...id=MS-ECE106-S
http://www.fine-tools.com/schrup.htm

Before an indulgent wife allowed the L-N, I had a Polish scrub made out of
beech that hogged wood readily.

As Andy said, there's more blade on a jack than you want with a scrub, but
if you are content to take a few more strokes, you can convert the blade to
what a jack used to be, about a 1/8 " crowned iron. Move the frog back for
clearance, and have at it.

"McQualude" wrote in message
I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think

they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?
--
McQualude

DarylRos

Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?

Doubt it. Scrubs tend to have narrower blades. Plus the throat opening must be
much larger to allow the large chips and chunks thorugh. The chipbreaker is
another factor to consider. By the time you are done, you wil leither hve a
scrub that does nto work, or a ruined jack plane.

Get your self a simple Knight scrub, or an ECE one. I prefer wood planes,
especially in scrubs because you are moving it a lot, and the lightness of a
woodie helps. It has less mass, but you are not taking long steady strokes
where chatter kills you.