Default scrub planes - can you convert a jack plane?

snip
McQualude wrote:
I would like to have a scrub plane for rough work, but you would think they
are made of gold. Question: can I take a Stanly jack plane and round the
blade and get the same performance?
McQualude

I picked up am old Satanley #40 for $12 last year in PA. Before that I
was using a Fulton #5 with a highly radiused blade. Took a bit more
work because the blade was about an 1" wider than a real scrub and not
as thick, but it gave a better surface, so it took out some cleanup work
at the same time. Came out as a wash I guess. The answer is yes and
no.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work