Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Micro Kerf 40 saw blade

I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 02/24/2010 11:47 AM, Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

You can get an even smaller kerf by going with an ultra thin kerf
cordless circular saw blade. As long as you don't need the full depth
of cut, it's *way* cheaper than this special blade.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 12:47*pm, "Denis G." wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. *Here's a demo:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. *It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

I'd say very pricey...but it's got a 90 day money back guarantee.

I'd still wait for a sale.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

I've got a Forrest thin kerf blade. I found that depending on the
grain/figure of the wood the blade would sometime deflect slightly. I
ended up also buying a Forrest full kerf blade. I can only imagine what
a 1/16" kerfed blade might do.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg They're getting ready to
sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

Or - if you can get by on a .079 kerf - you can get a Tenryu for less than a
third of that. I used to have one some years ago, nice blade. I still have
a 7 1/4" Tenryu which has a 1/16" kerf Less than $25); handier than a router
or long, narrow grooves.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/tenryu/thinke.html

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Denis G." wrote in message
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

Thin blades are OK for cutting veneer and cuts that you are not concerned
about. Thin kerf blades flex and with flex you get poorer cuts more often
than with a regular kerf bald.. I have been down that route and will stay
with the regular kerf blades.

As far as saving wood,,, unless you are cutting a lot of thin strips or
veneer you are not going to benefit. When was the last time you wished you
had a board that was 3/64" wider? ;~)

Also, the guy talking in the video noticed and pointed out tooth marks on
the wood he just cut.... that is a problem with thin kerf blades because
the flex and deflect that you don't see as often with regular kerf blades.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Nova" wrote in message
Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

I've got a Forrest thin kerf blade. I found that depending on the
grain/figure of the wood the blade would sometime deflect slightly. I
ended up also buying a Forrest full kerf blade. I can only imagine what a
1/16" kerfed blade might do.

Think band saw blade.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 1:47*pm, Nova wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. *Here's a demo:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. *It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

I've got a Forrest thin kerf blade. *I found that depending on the
grain/figure of the wood the blade would sometime deflect slightly. *I
ended up also buying a Forrest full kerf blade. *I can only imagine what
a 1/16" kerfed blade might do.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

My guess is that it would deflect too if you pushed it wrong. I
talked to someone at the company (just because I was curious) -- the
blade is made of a high speed steel (recycled material - "green"
advertising) with carbide tips.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"Denis G." wrote in message
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

Thin blades are OK for cutting veneer and cuts that you are not
concerned about. Thin kerf blades flex and with flex you get poorer
cuts more often than with a regular kerf bald.. I have been down
that route and will stay with the regular kerf blades.

As far as saving wood,,, unless you are cutting a lot of thin strips
or veneer you are not going to benefit. When was the last time you
wished you had a board that was 3/64" wider? ;~)

last week. no matter how much i cut off, it was still too short.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 2:20*pm, "dadiOH" wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. *Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4QkgThey're getting ready to
sell it through Amazon. *It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

Or - if you can get by on a .079 kerf - you can get a Tenryu for less than a
third of that. *I used to have one some years ago, nice blade. *I still have
a 7 1/4" Tenryu which has a 1/16" kerf Less than $25); handier than a router
or long, narrow grooves.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/tenryu/thinke.html

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico

Those look like a good deal. I looked at your link and was a little
unclear if they all have carbide tips. Also, it seems that you'd
probably want to use a blade stabilizer for the 10" version. I know
that Tenryu makes good circular saw blades for dry cutting steel and
they make quality products..

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 2:26*pm, "Leon" wrote:

[...]

Wow, we must have seen different videos! The guy I saw actually liked
the cut from the blade he was using.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" writes:

"Nova" wrote in message
.. .
Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

I've got a Forrest thin kerf blade. I found that depending on the
grain/figure of the wood the blade would sometime deflect slightly. I
ended up also buying a Forrest full kerf blade. I can only imagine what a
1/16" kerfed blade might do.

Think band saw blade.

Isn't a band saw blade supported both below and above the cut, preventing
horizontal deflection? The table saw blade is not similarly supported.

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Scott Lurndal" wrote in message
"Leon" writes:

"Nova" wrote in message
. ..
Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

I've got a Forrest thin kerf blade. I found that depending on the
grain/figure of the wood the blade would sometime deflect slightly. I
ended up also buying a Forrest full kerf blade. I can only imagine what
1/16" kerfed blade might do.

Think band saw blade.

Isn't a band saw blade supported both below and above the cut, preventing
horizontal deflection? The table saw blade is not similarly supported.

I probably should have clarified, band saw blade quality of cut. Tooth
marks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Denis G." wrote in message
On Feb 24, 1:47 pm, Nova wrote:
Denis G. wrote:
[...]

Recycled/green would explain the exaggerated cost.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Denis G." wrote in message
On Feb 24, 2:26 pm, "Leon" wrote:

Also, the guy talking in the video noticed and pointed out tooth marks on
the wood he just cut.... that is a problem with thin kerf blades because
the flex and deflect that you don't see as often with regular kerf blades.

Wow, we must have seen different videos! The guy I saw actually liked
the cut from the blade he was using.

I think we saw the same, 3 guys? Watch again, the guy doing most of the
talking and making the cut points out tooth marks, IIRC he refers to them as
kerf or cut marks.
And yes he did seem happy, I used to be happy with a fast cut and putting up
with having to address the tooth marks later on. Now however tooth marks
are mostly a distant memory. I'd much rather make a slightly slower cut and
be done with the edge. I suspect the guy in the video has not yet gotten
used to consistently having a smooth cut from his saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Denis G." wrote in message
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

From their web site,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvUV9pCw4-Q

Are these guys really serious or are they simply mocking the industry?

If I were in business manufacturing saw blades I certainly WOULD NOT have
the above link on my web site. Hummmmm.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 24, 4:52*pm, "Leon" wrote:
"Denis G." wrote in message

I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. *Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. *It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

From their web site,,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvUV9pCw4-Q

Are these guys really serious or are they simply mocking the industry?

If *I were in business manufacturing saw blades I certainly WOULD NOT have
the above link on my web site. * Hummmmm.

Oh, that's just a tradition up here. We cut up sticks and put them in
the mud.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Nova" wrote in message
Denis G. wrote:
I heard about this saw blade on my local (Wisconsin) public radio
program and looked it up on line. Here's a demo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DIlSsF4Qkg
They're getting ready to sell it through Amazon. It's pretty pricey
at $176 per blade, but also it seems to be an amazing saw blade.

I've got a Forrest thin kerf blade. I found that depending on the
grain/figure of the wood the blade would sometime deflect slightly. I
ended up also buying a Forrest full kerf blade. I can only imagine what a
1/16" kerfed blade might do.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

If you go to the web site:

www.totalsawsolutions.com
You'll see that the blade appears to have a "thickened" center, sort of a
"built in" blade stabilizer.
That would, of course, limit the depth of cut.
$176. rules it out for me. I'm happy with my Forrest.

Max