Posted to rec.woodworking

Default somewhat relevent; Craig's List Follies again (For entertaimentpurposes only)

Hey all,
Yesterday I posted and itme for sale on CL and I got the following
two responses. Some people never give up. I have to give them credit
on their originality. (Links deleted for your safety - and no, I did
not bother to check them out).
I thought if I did reply I would send them a link to a Youtube
broadcast of a similar machine (mortiser).
Read you all later and have a fun weekend.
Marc (Off
to Tenon- ville today)

Gday,

saw the AD you posted on craigslist and I'm very interested in
purchasing your item but I am not too sure if its the same type that
my cousin is after. Obviously I want to make sure before I commit
myself to buying it. Anyways here is a video link that I copied from
my son's computer "LINK" (if not work try "LINK"). Can you please
confirm its the similar type and reply back to me ASAP. Im willing to
pay more than what your asking for as long the item matches the video
description and you can reserve it for me.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers!

Jessica.

Gday,

saw the AD you posted on craigslist and I'm very interested in
purchasing your item but I am not too sure if its the same type that
my cousin is after. Obviously I want to make sure before I commit
myself to buying it. Anyways here is a video link that I copied from
my son's computer "LINK" (if not work try "LINK"). Can you please
confirm its the similar type and reply back to me ASAP. Im willing to
pay more than what your asking for as long the item matches the video
description and you can reserve it for me.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers!

Julie.
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Feb 20, 6:49*am, marc rosen wrote:
[...]

Yep, scammer time. I always omit my email address when posting to CL,
and that seems to weed out the undesirables. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

"tom" wrote in message
[...]

I do the same and rely on the default CL reply email, but I've received a
scam twice about a person who is overseas and wants to purchase for his son.
He'll send me more money than my asking price to cover the cost of shipping
and hassle. I'm sure it works for some, which is why they continue to use
that scam.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"marc rosen" wrote in message
[...]

I'd be suspicious. How do you know that link will not take you
to some site that will install a virus or malware on your computer?
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/20/2010 4:08 PM Artemus spake thus:

?
saw the AD you posted on craigslist and I'm very interested in
purchasing your item but I am not too sure if its the same type that
my cousin is after. Obviously I want to make sure before I commit
myself to buying it. Anyways here is a video link that I copied from
my son's computer "LINK" (if not work try "LINK"). Can you please
confirm its the similar type and reply back to me ASAP. Im willing to
pay more than what your asking for as long the item matches the video
description and you can reserve it for me.

Thanks for your time.
Cheers!

Jessica.

I'd be suspicious. How do you know that link will not take you
to some site that will install a virus or malware on your computer?

Well, *duh!* That's kinda the whole point, no?

So for the uninformed and uninitiated, here are my rules for Craigslist
postings, no matter where in the world you a

1. NEVER GIVE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS! Never! Use CL's anonymization feature,
which works wonderfully well. Readers of the listings get an email link
that they can use to respond, which forwards their response to your
inbox, which they never see, so you're safe.

2. NEVER GIVE ANY PHONE #s, ADDRESSES OR OTHER SPECIFIC LOCATION
INFORMATION. The most location info I give is putting my listing in a
"neighborhood" category, which is close enough for gov't work but vague
enough not to give possible scammers (or outright thieves) a clue where
I am.

3. Keep your bull**** meter well-adjusted. You're going to need it.

- a Usenet "apology"

Posted to rec.woodworking

Just to clarify my earlier post- which I see was not as clear as I had
intended it to be - I would never have clicked on their link but I
thought since they wanted to make sure it was the same type that their
cousin was after I would reply with a Youtube video of a hollow chisel
motiser in action just to tease them. I refrained from that as well,
not wanting to send out my email address any more than necessary.
Good news is that the mortiser sold to the eighth respondent which was
the first legitamate response I got.

Marc
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/21/2010 3:46 PM marc rosen spake thus:

Just to clarify my earlier post- which I see was not as clear as I had
intended it to be - I would never have clicked on their link but I
thought since they wanted to make sure it was the same type that their
cousin was after I would reply with a Youtube video of a hollow chisel
motiser in action just to tease them. I refrained from that as well,
not wanting to send out my email address any more than necessary.
Good news is that the mortiser sold to the eighth respondent which was
the first legitamate response I got.

From that it would appear that Craigslist responses are running 7:1 in
favor of scammers ...

- a Usenet "apology"
Posted to rec.woodworking

What is the nature of the scam. I don't quite follow.

Larry

*From that it would appear that Craigslist responses are running 7:1 in
favor of scammers ...

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Feb 22, 4:58*am, wrote:
What is the nature of the scam. I don't quite follow.

Larry

*From that it would appear that Craigslist responses are running 7:1 in
favor of scammers ...

I've always found the scam to be "My agent will pick up the _ $$$
item_, but first I will send you a certified check for $$$$$ and have
you send the difference of $$ to an account, keeping a "little extra"
for your troubles". The good-looking check is a forgery, leaving you
with less $$. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , tom wrote:

I've always found the scam to be "My agent will pick up the _ $$$
item_, but first I will send you a certified check for $$$$$ and have
you send the difference of $$ to an account, keeping a "little extra"
for your troubles". The good-looking check is a forgery, leaving you
with less $$. Tom

My brother got several of those a few years ago when he was selling a car.
After about the third one, he replied with "How's this scam work, anyway?"