Posted to rec.woodworking

Default HF Jointer on Craig's list - opinions?

All,

I'm considering a HF jointer posted on craig's list. I'm just getting
started with woodworking, looking to acquire used tools to make it a
little easier on the pocketbook. Already have a 36-980 delta contractor
tablesaw, bosch router combo kit w/table, jigsaw, trying to finagle the
50's delta 14" bandsaw my dad never uses, etc.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/896840205.html

looks like this one:

Anyway, is the above jointer worth $90, or would I be better off waiting
for a used 6" delta or rigid for $250+/-? Also, it seems like many end
up upgrading from a 6" to 8", so would I be better served to cut my
teeth on the cheapo HF and plan on an 8" in the future?

Thanks for the help,

Greg M
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg M" wrote in message
All,

I'm considering a HF jointer posted on craig's list. I'm just getting
started with woodworking, looking to acquire used tools to make it a
little easier on the pocketbook. Already have a 36-980 delta contractor
tablesaw, bosch router combo kit w/table, jigsaw, trying to finagle the
50's delta 14" bandsaw my dad never uses, etc.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/896840205.html

looks like this one:

Anyway, is the above jointer worth $90, or would I be better off waiting
for a used 6" delta or rigid for $250+/-? Also, it seems like many end up
upgrading from a 6" to 8", so would I be better served to cut my teeth on
the cheapo HF and plan on an 8" in the future?

Thanks for the help,

Greg M

At that price & if it works you should be able to at least sell it, if your
not happy with it.

Dan

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Dan Jefferson" wrote in message

"Greg M" wrote in message
[...]

IMO (which is worth every penny being paid), figure out your projects and
figure out the tools that will be needed. Don't try to save money with a
lesser tool. And, don't try to do jobs outside the scope of a given tool.
If you are going to try to save money with used tools, go at it with an
understanding of the tool and a willingness to do whatever rework will be
required to make it perform satisfactorily. I have a 6" jointer which is
really more than I'll ever need. With the right feed rate, it does a very
nice job of flattening and truing up the side of a board. I can get new
knives and I can get the existing ones sharpened locally. All bases covered
for this type of tool.

Again, just my opinion.

Ed

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg M wrote:
All,

I'm considering a HF jointer posted on craig's list. I'm just getting
started with woodworking, looking to acquire used tools to make it a
little easier on the pocketbook. Already have a 36-980 delta
contractor tablesaw, bosch router combo kit w/table, jigsaw, trying
to finagle the 50's delta 14" bandsaw my dad never uses, etc.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/896840205.html

looks like this one:

Anyway, is the above jointer worth $90, or would I be better off
waiting for a used 6" delta or rigid for $250+/-? Also, it seems like
many end up upgrading from a 6" to 8", so would I be better served to
cut my teeth on the cheapo HF and plan on an 8" in the future?

Thanks for the help,

Greg M

Contact the seller and ask if he will demo it for you. Bring a piece of
rough lumber and see if you can joint the edge and face. If you can, then
buy it.

--
Frank Howell

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 17:19:12 -0400, Greg M wrote:

Anyway, is the above jointer worth $90, or would I be better off waiting
for a used 6" delta or rigid for $250+/-? Also, it seems like many end
up upgrading from a 6" to 8", so would I be better served to cut my
teeth on the cheapo HF and plan on an 8" in the future?

Check it out in person to be sure the tables can be aligned with each
other and that the bearings aren't too noisy.
If you decide to upgrade later, I think you can get your $90.00 back.

Mike O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Greg M" wrote in message
All,

I'm considering a HF jointer posted on craig's list. I'm just getting
started with woodworking, looking to acquire used tools to make it a
little easier on the pocketbook. Already have a 36-980 delta contractor
tablesaw, bosch router combo kit w/table, jigsaw, trying to finagle the
50's delta 14" bandsaw my dad never uses, etc.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/896840205.html

looks like this one:

I had the 8" version of this jointer, was a real PITA to get the indeed and
out feed co-planer, shims here and there. After I did get it set up, I set
the depth of cut to about .025" and did not change it again. Did a fair
job. It is now gone, to my BIL, and still works fair.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Greg M wrote:

All,

I'm considering a HF jointer posted on craig's list. I'm just getting
started with woodworking, looking to acquire used tools to make it a
little easier on the pocketbook. Already have a 36-980 delta contractor
tablesaw, bosch router combo kit w/table, jigsaw, trying to finagle the
50's delta 14" bandsaw my dad never uses, etc.

http://detroit.craigslist.org/tls/896840205.html

looks like this one:

Anyway, is the above jointer worth $90, or would I be better off waiting
for a used 6" delta or rigid for $250+/-? Also, it seems like many end
up upgrading from a 6" to 8", so would I be better served to cut my
teeth on the cheapo HF and plan on an 8" in the future?

Thanks for the help,

Greg M

I had the 6" version and there is only one real problem with the HF jointers
and that is where the fence attaches. Unlike most, especially those of
quality, jointers, the HF units attach their fence at the end of the right
bed piece. The problem is that the fence, because of where and how it is
attahed to the unit, is IMPOSSIBLE to keep aligned. That is a show
stopper.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

looks like this one:http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=30289

Anyway, is the above jointer worth $90, or would I be better off waiting
for a used 6" delta or rigid for $250+/-? Also, it seems like many end
up upgrading from a 6" to 8", so would I be better served to cut my
teeth on the cheapo HF and plan on an 8" in the future?

Thanks for the help,

Greg M

I had a vintage four-inch Sears that I finally sold and bought an
eight-inch griz. I found it wasn't the width that mattered but the
infeed length. I never got the hang of running a board longer than two
feet through that little sears. It always tapered or bowed or
something, and I always ended up jointing longer boards with a jointer
plane. And I was actually happy that way till I suddenly had enough
money to get the Griz with the intro offer on their new longbed eight.
Now I can't imagine a project without it. (I'm thinking with that bed
you'll be okay with boards around three feet or less, maybe longer.)

So yeah, that's not a bad price for your first jointer. It'll give you
experience with adjusting (probably more than you want), help you
figure out what you're really looking for, and like the man says, even
if you sell it for less than you paid, you haven't payed much money to
get some good hands-on experience.

As long as it runs, sounds good, and you can't find any dips or twists
in the beds using a good straightedge, I'd go for it if I didn't have
a jointer.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:
Greg M wrote:

[...]

That's like an old Craftsman 6" I used to have (the one that tried to
kill me). Anchored at one end. It worked OK. But only just.
grump,
jo4hn