Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT Have you noticed the MSM is attacking Craig's List?

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Eregon" wrote in message
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

This is kinda like the post office wanting to tax e-mail.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 11:08*am, "
wrote:
I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=craigslist+killer&l=1
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

"Eregon" wrote in message
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

This is kinda like the post office wanting to tax e-mail.

Who do you think was behind the move (a few years ago) to do exactly that?

Besides which, most of the USPS money comes from bulk mailers (advertisers,
billing, etc.) but they continue to raise postage rates for private
citizens who supply only a tiny fraction of their business.

BTW, there's another postal rate hike coming May 1, 2009.

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
"Eregon" wrote in message
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

This is kinda like the post office wanting to tax e-mail.

I'd be delighted to pay 1 or 2 cents each for email, if the spammers did
too.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" wrote:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

I haven't heard that. Ebay owns a piece and they are a bit left politically.

Wes
--
In her book "Atlas Shrugged", first published in 1957, Ayn Rand warned us about the society we find
ourselves in. We were warned.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Eregon" wrote: Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising
revenue - NOT
their circulation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but their advertising rates are based on their circulation.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

"Eregon" wrote: Newspapers and magazines live or die by their
advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Yeah, but their advertising rates are based on their circulation.

But when the advertisers quit advertising...

--
I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 23, 12:52*pm, Eregon wrote:
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising *revenue - NOT
their circulation.

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.

Correct...just as radio and television survive on advertisements.

If you want something for free or almost so, someone else has to
subsidize it.

Entertainment, music, news, information....it all costs money.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Correct...just as radio and television survive on advertisements.

If you want something for free or almost so, someone else has to
subsidize it.

Entertainment, music, news, information....it all costs money.

Perhaps, but just a tiny fraction of what we are expected to pay for it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 24, 1:17*pm, "Tim" wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message

Correct...just as radio and television survive on advertisements.

If you want something for free or almost so, someone else has to
subsidize it.

Entertainment, music, news, information....it all costs money.

Perhaps, but just a tiny fraction of what we are expected to pay for it.

Tim, I think you have a good point on this.

These industries are very lucrative.

A trimming of the dead wood doesn't hurt and competition improves the
product.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Eregon wrote:
" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers and magazines live or die by their advertising revenue - NOT
their circulation.

But their ad pricing is tied to their circulation numbers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

" writes:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers make a lot of money with classified ads.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maxwell Lol wrote:

I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers make a lot of money with classified ads.

Well they did, I think that is rapidly becoming a *former* profit center.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 25, 12:35*pm, Wes wrote:
Maxwell Lol wrote:
I have asked around for explanations, and the best I have heard is
that Craig's list is driving newspapers out of business, and so the
news media is attacking back.

Newspapers make a lot of money with classified ads.

Well they did, I think that is rapidly becoming a *former* profit center.

Correct.

And that is the big problem for the newspaper industry.

If they don't figure out a different business model, they are dead.

TMT