Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Video of my DIY version of Rockler's Pock-it Hole Clamp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bTtHJLnl8

With all the talk in the other thread, I decided to throw one these
together in the shop.
It's obviously a very rough prototype, but it worked very well and took
less than an hour to build. I also used a cam toggle clamp so it is a
lot faster than tightening a knob screw.

I found that I still had to exert a lot of pressure down, as I drove in
the screws, to keep the pieces from steady. I generally clamp both
pieces down to the table when driving pocket hole screws, so this was
something I hasn't foreseen. I suppose I could've clamped them down to
the table, after clamping them together.

In any case, I think you could build your own with little effort/time
and make it better than the Rockler version.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

....and I know the video quality is pretty crappy with the wood pieces
washing out in the light. Sorry about that.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 17:38:26 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bTtHJLnl8

In any case, I think you could build your own with little effort/time
and make it better than the Rockler version.

Neat. I enjoyed the video. Versatile in many applications.

For just plain face frames, I think I'd just mount a couple of 2x4 pieces
at right angles on a piece of plywood and attach hold down clamps. Of
course that doesn't work for any joint not a flush corner.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bTtHJLnl8

With all the talk in the other thread, I decided to throw one these
together in the shop.
It's obviously a very rough prototype, but it worked very well and took
less than an hour to build. I also used a cam toggle clamp so it is a lot
faster than tightening a knob screw.

I found that I still had to exert a lot of pressure down, as I drove in
the screws, to keep the pieces from steady. I generally clamp both pieces
down to the table when driving pocket hole screws, so this was something I
hasn't foreseen. I suppose I could've clamped them down to the table,
after clamping them together.

In any case, I think you could build your own with little effort/time and
make it better than the Rockler version.

Be careful there Mike. You don't want to get the Rockler people mad at you!

Looks interesting. Sometimes you just have to go out to the shop to make
something. I know. It is in our blood.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 6:19 PM, Lee Michaels wrote:
wrote in message

In any case, I think you could build your own with little effort/time and
make it better than the Rockler version.

Be careful there Mike. You don't want to get the Rockler people mad at you!

You're joking, right. (didn't see a smiley)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

With all the talk in the other thread, I decided to throw one these
together in the shop.
It's obviously a very rough prototype, but it worked very well and took
less than an hour to build. I also used a cam toggle clamp so it is a
lot faster than tightening a knob screw.

What did the cam toggle clamp cost? Was it cheap enough to make it
worthwhile not to buy the $20 Rockler clamp version
?

I guess the big advantage to your home made clamp is that you can make
it any size you want and you got to spend a little quality time in the
shop building somethat that actually works as it should.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote
"-MIKE wrote in message

In any case, I think you could build your own with little effort/time
and
make it better than the Rockler version.

Be careful there Mike. You don't want to get the Rockler people mad at
you!

You're joking, right. (didn't see a smiley)

--

You don't know??

Oh, never mind.

peering out my window

Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote
"-MIKE wrote in message

In any case, I think you could build your own with little effort/time
and
make it better than the Rockler version.

Be careful there Mike. You don't want to get the Rockler people mad at
you!

You're joking, right. (didn't see a smiley)

--

You don't know??

Oh, never mind.

peering out my window

I'll just give myself a whoosh! on that one. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bTtHJLnl8

With all the talk in the other thread, I decided to throw one these
together in the shop.
It's obviously a very rough prototype, but it worked very well and took
less than an hour to build. I also used a cam toggle clamp so it is a
lot faster than tightening a knob screw.

I found that I still had to exert a lot of pressure down, as I drove in
the screws, to keep the pieces from steady. I generally clamp both
pieces down to the table when driving pocket hole screws, so this was
something I hasn't foreseen. I suppose I could've clamped them down to
the table, after clamping them together.

In any case, I think you could build your own with little effort/time
and make it better than the Rockler version.

Hey good job. I enjoyed the video
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !