Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Rockler Pock-it Hole Clamp

Noticed a Rockler pocket hole clamp on their website. Seemed it could
be a useful clamp for those people who regularly use their Kreg Pocket
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Upscale wrote in
:

Noticed a Rockler pocket hole clamp on their website. Seemed it could
be a useful clamp for those people who regularly use their Kreg Pocket
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

I bought a couple. Will come in handy when needed, because I have had
trouble with subtle shifts when assembling.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08 Feb 2010 11:54:13 GMT, Han wrote:

Upscale wrote in
:

Noticed a Rockler pocket hole clamp on their website. Seemed it could
be a useful clamp for those people who regularly use their Kreg Pocket
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

I bought a couple. Will come in handy when needed, because I have had
trouble with subtle shifts when assembling.

It seems to me that the screw will pull things together in the way
this clamp works. What I have trouble with is keeping the faces flush.
Using their vise grip style clamp (or any other clamp) solves that
problem. Has anyone actually used this clamp and does it keep things
flush?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 3:02 AM, Upscale wrote:

Noticed a Rockler pocket hole clamp on their website. Seemed it could
be a useful clamp for those people who regularly use their Kreg Pocket
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

Aaaaand add this to the list of times I get that get reaction of, "Man,
why didn't I patent that idea when I had it?"

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 8:26 AM, wrote:
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

I bought a couple. Will come in handy when needed, because I have had
trouble with subtle shifts when assembling.

It seems to me that the screw will pull things together in the way
this clamp works. What I have trouble with is keeping the faces flush.
Using their vise grip style clamp (or any other clamp) solves that
problem. Has anyone actually used this clamp and does it keep things
flush?

Looking at the cut profile view..
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-09-500.jpg
....I think it's impossible for the pieces to *not* be flush.

I like the vise grip clamp, too, but it doesn't allow you to rest the
stock flat on the table, like this Rockler one? That's a huge advantage
in my book.

The other advantage is they way it clamps box sides as shown here...
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-02-500.jpg

Here's how this thing rates a big FAIL for me...
Why not make the clamp adjustment a spring-handle vise-grip style mechanism?
Boooooooooooo!

Maybe they *did* design a vise-grip version that will come out in a year
for 30 bucks.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 12:31*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/8/10 3:02 AM, Upscale wrote:

Noticed a Rockler pocket hole clamp on their website. Seemed it could
be a useful clamp for those people who regularly use their Kreg Pocket
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

Aaaaand add this to the list of times I get that get reaction of, "Man,
why didn't I patent that idea when I had it?"

What kind of residuals would one get if one did have the patent?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 12:05 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 8, 12:31 pm, wrote:
On 2/8/10 3:02 AM, Upscale wrote:

Noticed a Rockler pocket hole clamp on their website. Seemed it could
be a useful clamp for those people who regularly use their Kreg Pocket
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

Aaaaand add this to the list of times I get that get reaction of, "Man,
why didn't I patent that idea when I had it?"

What kind of residuals would one get if one did have the patent?

Why? Do you? :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

Noticed a Rockler pocket hole clamp on their website.

-------------------
A solution waiting to find a problem to solve.

About as useful as a set of breasts on a boar hog.

Fails to solve the basic alignment problem of the pieces secured by
the screw.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 12:15 PM, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/8/10 12:05 PM, Robatoy wrote:
What kind of residuals would one get if one did have the patent?

Why? Do you? :-)

By the way, it looks like something which could be easily fabricated
from scraps, a 5/16" knob/bolt, and a t-nut/threaded insert, huh?

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 12:17 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:
Fails to solve the basic alignment problem of the pieces secured by
the screw.

Lew

I think it solves that problem, very well...
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-09-500.jpg

Both pieces are being held securely against the clamp, which keeps the
faces flush.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

On 2/8/10 8:26 AM, wrote:
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

I bought a couple. Will come in handy when needed, because I have had
trouble with subtle shifts when assembling.

It seems to me that the screw will pull things together in the way
this clamp works. What I have trouble with is keeping the faces flush.
Using their vise grip style clamp (or any other clamp) solves that
problem. Has anyone actually used this clamp and does it keep things
flush?

Looking at the cut profile view..
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-09-500.jpg
...I think it's impossible for the pieces to *not* be flush.

I like the vise grip clamp, too, but it doesn't allow you to rest the
stock flat on the table, like this Rockler one? That's a huge advantage
in my book.

I like that feature of this clamp. Always have a problem hanging the
faceframe over the edge of the bench and trying to square it. Although it
should square itself it everything is square to begin with.

The other advantage is they way it clamps box sides as shown here...
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-02-500.jpg

Good point! I may have to try this thing out.

Here's how this thing rates a big FAIL for me...
Why not make the clamp adjustment a spring-handle vise-grip style
mechanism? Boooooooooooo!

Maybe they *did* design a vise-grip version that will come out in a year
for 30 bucks.

Rockler is infamous for selling gimmicks that you don't need or don't work
all that well.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 12:26 PM, Evodawg wrote:
Rockler is infamous for selling gimmicks that you don't need or don't work
all that well.

Or for pricing them *juuuuuust* high enough that you want to go out in
the shop and build your own. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think it solves that problem, very well...http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-09-500.jpg

Both pieces are being held securely against the clamp, which keeps the
faces flush.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

So... what happens to the squeeze-out?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 12:28 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 8, 1:24 pm, wrote:
On 2/8/10 12:17 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Fails to solve the basic alignment problem of the pieces secured by
the screw.

Lew

I think it solves that problem, very well...http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-09-500.jpg

Both pieces are being held securely against the clamp, which keeps the
faces flush.

So... what happens to the squeeze-out?

I suppose the same thing that happens to it on Kreg's bench clamping
system.
There seem to be less surface area covered by this Rockler clamp than
Kreg's bench Klamp...
http://www.kregtool.com/products/images/gallery/prd_84_411.jpg

Here's another can of worms to open up....
According to Kreg, you don't even need glue with pocket joinery.

Personally, I'm too anal to not use glue. Last time I used pocket
holes, however, I got pretty good with using "only enough" glue and had
minimal, if any, squeeze out.

I figure, if NO glue is strong enough, then a LITTLE glue would be
strong enough, too.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 1:49*pm, -MIKE- wrote:

I figure, if NO glue is strong enough, then a LITTLE glue would be
strong enough, too.

Makes sense.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 3:13 PM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 8, 1:49 pm, wrote:

I figure, if NO glue is strong enough, then a LITTLE glue would be
strong enough, too.

Makes sense.

This thing lit a little fire in me... I'm working on a quick-n-dirty
version, right now.

video to follow.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 4:14*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/8/10 3:13 PM, Robatoy wrote:

On Feb 8, 1:49 pm, *wrote:

I figure, if NO glue is strong enough, then a LITTLE glue would be
strong enough, too.

Makes sense.

This thing lit a little fire in me... I'm working on a quick-n-dirty
version, right now.

video to follow.

--

* -MIKE-

* "Playing is not something I do at night, it's my function in life"
* * *--Elvin Jones *(1927-2004)
* --
*http://mikedrums.com
*
* ---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Would it involve a drum skin tensioner?
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/8/10 6:13 PM, Robatoy wrote:

This thing lit a little fire in me... I'm working on a quick-n-dirty
version, right now.

Would it involve a drum skin tensioner?

No. :-)

Trying to visualize that.

I linked to the video in separate post.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 08 Feb 2010 11:47:51 -0600, -MIKE-
wrote:

On 2/8/10 8:26 AM, wrote:
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

I bought a couple. Will come in handy when needed, because I have had
trouble with subtle shifts when assembling.

It seems to me that the screw will pull things together in the way
this clamp works. What I have trouble with is keeping the faces flush.
Using their vise grip style clamp (or any other clamp) solves that
problem. Has anyone actually used this clamp and does it keep things
flush?

Looking at the cut profile view..
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-09-500.jpg
...I think it's impossible for the pieces to *not* be flush.

I like the vise grip clamp, too, but it doesn't allow you to rest the
stock flat on the table, like this Rockler one? That's a huge advantage
in my book.

....I got a couple of those things and they work OK...but I've gotten
in the habit of clamping to my assembly table which puts bearing on
the pieces totally...works more better, at least for me!

cg

The other advantage is they way it clamps box sides as shown here...
http://images.rockler.com/rockler/im...518-02-500.jpg

Here's how this thing rates a big FAIL for me...
Why not make the clamp adjustment a spring-handle vise-grip style mechanism?
Boooooooooooo!

Maybe they *did* design a vise-grip version that will come out in a year
for 30 bucks.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 10:05:25 -0800 (PST), the infamous Robatoy
scrawled the following:

On Feb 8, 12:31*pm, -MIKE- wrote:
On 2/8/10 3:02 AM, Upscale wrote:

Noticed a Rockler pocket hole clamp on their website. Seemed it could
be a useful clamp for those people who regularly use their Kreg Pocket
Hold jig.
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...bSelect=Videos

Aaaaand add this to the list of times I get that get reaction of, "Man,
why didn't I patent that idea when I had it?"

What kind of residuals would one get if one did have the patent?

Maybe a buck per? Definitely worthwhile.

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And

Junior Member

I bought two Rockler pocket hole clamps yesterday, and will be returning them tomorrow. There's a significant design flaw, namely that when you tighten the clamp, even moderately, it pulls away from the workpiece with the actual pocket hole, which completely defeats the purpose, namely, to keep the two workpieces aligned. Lesson re-learned: special-purpose gizmos are usually a waste. A little ingenuity and one can almost always come up with a DIY solution that's superior, more flexible, and less expensive.