Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Two parties

Morris Dovey wrote in
:

On 2/8/2010 6:57 PM, Han wrote:

I'm also glad I had the "training" on several other occasions. I
will never forgive the Harvard flunky who berated me for using a CO2
extinguisher on a waste basket paper fire in the School of Public
Health. I should have used a simpler extinguisher. There wasn't any
handy, and the CO2 was there.

I hope you turned the horn his way and frosted his glasses/sinuses.

I was just a young one then (back in the early 70's), and shrugged, saying
what amounted to "tough ****".

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Doug Winterburn wrote:

Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
news
Let me ask you this: How much experience and training do YOU (or almost
everyone else) have with fire extinguishers?

Any self-respecting company that has the need for fire extinguishers does
or at least should give their employees training in the use of fire
extinguishers.

I've worked for several large self respecting companies that had fire
extinguishers behind the glass cover all over the place. Not one ever
saw the need for fire extinguisher training as simple and clear
instructions were printed on the things. They did have regular fire
drills. Having had to use a home fire extinguisher, I can't imagine
what any training might involve except how to clean up the mess.

My company's instructions are that mere employees are *not* to use the
fire extinguishers (generously sprinkled throughout all plant areas and
diligently monitored and inspected as required). In one of its previous
incarnations, one of the employees was actually reprimanded for using one
while he was escorting a couple of welders who started a small fire -- he
had pro-actively picked up the extinguisher as he was taking the welders to
the place they were to work. I think the exact words right now are that
"employees are not expected to use the extinguishers in the case of a fire"
but to get out of the building and call the fire department [who will show
up with their own extinguishers].

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

My company's instructions are that mere employees are *not* to use the
fire extinguishers (generously sprinkled throughout all plant areas and
diligently monitored and inspected as required). In one of its previous
incarnations, one of the employees was actually reprimanded for using one
while he was escorting a couple of welders who started a small fire -- he
had pro-actively picked up the extinguisher as he was taking the welders
the place they were to work. I think the exact words right now are that
"employees are not expected to use the extinguishers in the case of a
fire"
but to get out of the building and call the fire department [who will show
up with their own extinguishers].

--

I was borrowing a car once that caught on fire. It had a fire extinguisher.
I put out the fire. The owner brought it in to get recharged. Part of the

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 09 Feb 2010 00:57:15 GMT, the infamous Han
scrawled the following:

Doug Winterburn wrote in
:

Doug Miller wrote:
In article , Doug Winterburn
wrote:

I've worked for several large self respecting companies that had
fire extinguishers behind the glass cover all over the place. Not
one ever saw the need for fire extinguisher training as simple and
clear instructions were printed on the things. They did have
regular fire drills. Having had to use a home fire extinguisher, I
can't imagine what any training might involve except how to clean up
the mess.

Actually, there *is* at least one respect in which training (perhaps
"instruction" is a better word) is of great value: the need to aim
the extinguisher at the *base* of the flames. Apparently that's not
immediately obvious to everyone.

True. The instructions printed (in large print) on my Kidde home
extinguisher state exactly that.

IMNSHO, anyone who might have to use a fire extinguisher in the course of
their work should practice at least once. Maybe I'm anal, but it was the
first thing we learned in organic chemistry lab (a 3-month course at the
time). It did come in very handy.

I'm also glad I had the "training" on several other occasions. I will
never forgive the Harvard flunky who berated me for using a CO2
extinguisher on a waste basket paper fire in the School of Public Health.
I should have used a simpler extinguisher. There wasn't any handy, and
the CO2 was there.

Did you show him the other uses of the mass of the empty extinguisher
cannister, Han? No? Too bad. snicker

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

My company's instructions are that mere employees are *not* to use
the fire extinguishers (generously sprinkled throughout all plant
areas and diligently monitored and inspected as required). In one of
its previous incarnations, one of the employees was actually
reprimanded for using one while he was escorting a couple of welders
who started a small fire -- he had pro-actively picked up the
extinguisher as he was taking the welders to the place they were to
work. I think the exact words right now are that "employees are not
expected to use the extinguishers in the case of a fire" but to get
out of the building and call the fire department [who will show up
with their own extinguishers].

If there's a fire, don't attempt to put it out, call the fire department!

This advice is exactly the advice given to people thinking about obtaining a
firearm. Don't do it - call the police.

This can be expanded to yet another rule: "Don't use the stuff in the
first-aid kit, call the paramedics."

Can anyone spot the flaw in these argument? Anyone?

Posted to rec.woodworking

HeyBub wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

Yeah, nanny state! Don't ever get involved, let the next guy handle it.
Then the next guy and the next guy. Before you know it he's bled to death
and the building is reduced to ash, waiting for the pro's to show up.
--
You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK !
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 9:59*am, "HeyBub" wrote:
Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

OTOH, there is good reason to use the fire extinguisher to get your
ass (and others') out of harm's way, damn the property. Kinda like
firearms.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 12:01*pm, " wrote:
On Feb 9, 9:59*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

I can tell by the bull**** that this thread is now in good hands. We
can all (most of us) leave now. G
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 12:44*pm, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 9, 12:01*pm, " wrote:

On Feb 9, 9:59*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

I see you're back to your usual level of intercourse.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 12:01*pm, " wrote:

On Feb 9, 9:59*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

Speaking of intercourse... why don't you go.....ahhh never mind...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 12:01*pm, " wrote:

On Feb 9, 9:59*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

Like I said, back to your normal self...
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 12:01*pm, " wrote:

On Feb 9, 9:59*am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

If by 'normal self' you mean my low tolerance...... well then yup...
buh bye!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy writes:
On Feb 9, 12:01=A0pm, " wrote:
On Feb 9, 9:59=A0am, "HeyBub" wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:

=A0My company's instructions are that mere employees are *not* to use
the fire extinguishers (generously sprinkled throughout all plant
areas and diligently monitored and inspected as required). =A0In one =

of
its previous incarnations, one of the employees was actually
reprimanded for using one while he was escorting a couple of welders
who started a small fire -- he had pro-actively picked up the
extinguisher as he was taking the welders to the place they were to
work. =A0I think the exact words right now are that "employees are no=

expected to use the extinguishers in the case of a fire" but to get
out of the building and call the fire department [who will show up
with their own extinguishers].

If there's a fire, don't attempt to put it out, call the fire departmen=

t!

This advice is exactly the advice given to people thinking about obtain=

ing a
firearm. Don't do it - call the police.

This can be expanded to yet another rule: "Don't use the stuff in the
first-aid kit, call the paramedics."

Can anyone spot the flaw in these argument? Anyone?

OTOH, there is good reason to use the fire extinguisher to get your
ass (and others') out of harm's way, damn the property. =A0Kinda like
firearms.

I can tell by the bull**** that this thread is now in good hands. We
can all (most of us) leave now. G

Fire extinguishers can be handy.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123188881

scott
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Speaking of intercourse... why don't you go.....ahhh never mind...

Well... technically speaking, since that wouldn't involve two people, it
really wouldn't be intercourse, would it? Wouldn't it just be course?
Lends a whole new meaning the phrases like "of course...". Now you'll
snicker every time you hear that phrase...

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:

[...]

Certainly, and notice the emphasis of the story was saving the people
not the hardware.

Posted to rec.woodworking

In article , wrote:

Fire extinguishers can be handy.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123188881

"Both sergeants credited their annual fire bottle use training with enabling
them to react so quickly and effectively.

"We've had the training so many times, so there was really no thinking,"
Sergeant Andrews said."
Posted to rec.woodworking

Somebody wrote:

Fire extinguishers can be handy.

The weapon of choice on a sailboat.

IF you are boarded by pirates, a CO2 fire extinguisher can be much
more effective than a firearm, especially if kept handy in a cockpit
locker.

Pirates go below, discharge extinguisher into cabin, close hatch and
watch while pirates die due to a lack of oxygen.

(Think flies spinning around on floor after being hit with an
insecticide spray.)

Simple, effective, and no holes in the boat from an errant slug.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 6:07*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
Somebody wrote:
Fire extinguishers can be handy.

The weapon of choice on a sailboat.

IF you are boarded by pirates, a CO2 fire extinguisher can be much
more effective than a firearm, especially if kept handy in a cockpit
locker.

Pirates go below, discharge extinguisher into cabin, close hatch and
watch while pirates die due to a lack of oxygen.

(Think flies spinning around on floor after being hit with an
insecticide spray.)

Simple, effective, and no holes in the boat from an errant slug.

Just dodge the bullets as they try to shoot their way out of the
cabin. No biggie.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Did you show him the other uses of the mass of the empty extinguisher
cannister, Han? No? Too bad. snicker

Even in liberal Massachusetts, you do not offend lakeys of the local
government to their face if they even MIGHT report you to the local
(Harvard) authorities. I was just a technician at the time. On a J-1
visa.

I may be crazy, but not that crazy. grin

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

Han wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote in
:

Did you show him the other uses of the mass of the empty extinguisher
cannister, Han? No? Too bad. snicker

Even in liberal Massachusetts, you do not offend lakeys of the local
government to their face if they even MIGHT report you to the local
(Harvard) authorities. I was just a technician at the time. On a J-1
visa.

I may be crazy, but not that crazy. grin

:-) That almost cost me a monitor wipe-down.

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 16:19:34 -0500, the infamous "Mike Marlow"
scrawled the following:

"Robatoy" wrote in message

Speaking of intercourse... why don't you go.....ahhh never mind...

Well... technically speaking, since that wouldn't involve two people, it
really wouldn't be intercourse, would it? Wouldn't it just be course?
Lends a whole new meaning the phrases like "of course...". Now you'll
snicker every time you hear that phrase...

Onan didn't die in vain.

--
In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are
needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And

Two parties Upscale Woodworking 2 February 4th 10 05:31 AM
Two parties Upscale Woodworking 1 February 2nd 10 08:04 PM
Two parties chaniarts Woodworking 0 February 2nd 10 07:36 PM
Two parties CW[_5_] Woodworking 0 February 2nd 10 06:27 PM
Two parties J. Clarke Woodworking 0 February 2nd 10 03:26 PM