Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Two parties

Doug Winterburn wrote:

Han wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
news
Let me ask you this: How much experience and training do YOU (or almost
everyone else) have with fire extinguishers?

Any self-respecting company that has the need for fire extinguishers does
or at least should give their employees training in the use of fire
extinguishers.

I've worked for several large self respecting companies that had fire
extinguishers behind the glass cover all over the place. Not one ever
saw the need for fire extinguisher training as simple and clear
instructions were printed on the things. They did have regular fire
drills. Having had to use a home fire extinguisher, I can't imagine
what any training might involve except how to clean up the mess.

My company's instructions are that mere employees are *not* to use the
fire extinguishers (generously sprinkled throughout all plant areas and
diligently monitored and inspected as required). In one of its previous
incarnations, one of the employees was actually reprimanded for using one
while he was escorting a couple of welders who started a small fire -- he
had pro-actively picked up the extinguisher as he was taking the welders to
the place they were to work. I think the exact words right now are that
"employees are not expected to use the extinguishers in the case of a fire"
but to get out of the building and call the fire department [who will show
up with their own extinguishers].

Rob Leatham