Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT - iPad in the news today ...

On 1/31/10 5:07 PM, "Mark & Juanita" wrote:

Robert Haar wrote:

On 1/29/10 10:54 PM, "Mark & Juanita" wrote:

Some other things not so cool:
1) No flash support

This is a good thing. Flash should die and be replaced by HTML 5.

That's a fine sentiment. But if someone who happens to own an iPad *now*
(or when it really ships) and wants to view a web page *now* with content
that is important to them *now* that just happens to include a flash vid or
other flash content, that's more than a bit of a problem, isn't it?

It's more than a sentiment. As long as we accept bad design, there is no
incentive for companies to build good web sites. It's similar to web sites
that require the use of MSIE. I take my business elsewhere and let them know
why they lost a customer. There are very few web site that I have to use,
and for most of those, I have some ability to influence the design.

It's like the saying the the only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for
good men to do nothing.

Posted to rec.woodworking

One of the coolest websites on the web today:

http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 1, 11:17*pm, Swingman wrote:
One of the coolest websites on the web today:

http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Doesn't come across all that cool on my Blackberry and is a ****load
of overhead on my old laptop.
Works just fine on my desktops and is kinda cool.
I wonder what percentage of potential customers are still on dial-up.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2010 7:17 AM, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 1, 11:17 pm, wrote:
One of the coolest websites on the web today:

http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Doesn't come across all that cool on my Blackberry and is a ****load
of overhead on my old laptop.
Works just fine on my desktops and is kinda cool.
I wonder what percentage of potential customers are still on dial-up.

Go ahead, point me to ANYTHING this is cool on your crackberry's
browser!

The point being that every top web designer I know (folks who design for
Dell, Continental, Hulu, etc) is green with envy that they didn't get
the opportunity to do this particular site.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 1, 11:17 pm, *wrote:
One of the coolest websites on the web today:

http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Doesn't come across all that cool on my Blackberry and is a ****load
of overhead on my old laptop.
Works just fine on my desktops and is kinda cool.
I wonder what percentage of potential customers are still on dial-up.

Go ahead, point me to ANYTHING this is cool on your crackberry's
browser! *

The point being that every top web designer I know (folks who design for
Dell, Continental, Hulu, etc) is green with envy that they didn't get
the opportunity to do this particular site.

That site has complete disregard for the little guy who doesn't have
the bandwidth/speed to enjoy that website.
It is always the little guy who gets the bad seats in the arena.
..
..
..
..
..
:-)
(in case you were wondering if I was being serious or not)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/2/2010 8:35 AM, Robatoy wrote:

That site has complete disregard for the little guy who doesn't have
the bandwidth/speed to enjoy that website.
It is always the little guy who gets the bad seats in the arena.
.
.
.
.
.
:-)
(in case you were wondering if I was being serious or not)

Besides, today's top web designers are all twenty somethings ... they
have NO concept of "regard(e?)" ... and couldn't spell it if they did.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 2 Feb 2010 05:17:14 -0800 (PST), Robatoy
wrote:

On Feb 1, 11:17*pm, Swingman wrote:
One of the coolest websites on the web today:

http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Doesn't come across all that cool on my Blackberry and is a ****load
of overhead on my old laptop.
Works just fine on my desktops and is kinda cool.
I wonder what percentage of potential customers are still on dial-up.

Doesn't run on my PC either. For a blue-chip company and the biggest
world restaurant chain, this is a poor excuse, poor design (they
should have hired me).
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Feb 1, 11:17 pm, wrote:
One of the coolest websites on the web today:

http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Doesn't come across all that cool on my Blackberry and is a ****load
of overhead on my old laptop.
Works just fine on my desktops and is kinda cool.
I wonder what percentage of potential customers are still on dial-up.

Doesn't run on my PC either. For a blue-chip company and the biggest
world restaurant chain, this is a poor excuse, poor design (they
should have hired me).

Sorry, you missed the pointe(e), dud(e). You simply aren't cool
anymor(e) ... the world has passed you by(e). You gotta b(e) into DMB
and Lady Gaga to appreciat(e) subtl(e) genius, and, as always, the
bigger the better ... particularly with regarde to your pip(e).

Go have a Moon Pi(e) and a R'er Se(e) and lick your wounded feelings ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote

Sorry, you missed the pointe(e), dud(e). You simply aren't cool anymor(e)
... the world has passed you by(e). You gotta b(e) into DMB and Lady Gaga
to appreciat(e) subtl(e) genius, and, as always, the bigger the better ...
particularly with regarde to your pip(e).

Go have a Moon Pi(e) and a R'er Se(e) and lick your wounded feelings ...

--

There is a song in there someplace.

hint, hint

Posted to rec.woodworking

*wrote:

On Feb 1, 11:17 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Whoa! Lady Gaga and DMB in the same sentence?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 27, 6:41*pm, Swingman wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Read this....

http://tinyurl.com/ygf34y9
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Robatoy wrote in news:a059508a-f618-4e54-a8e0-
:

Read this....

http://tinyurl.com/ygf34y9

"Sorry, we can't find that page"

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 2, 3:24*pm, Han wrote:
Robatoy wrote in news:a059508a-f618-4e54-a8e0-
:

Read this....

http://tinyurl.com/ygf34y9

"Sorry, we can't find that page"

--
Best regards
Han
email address is invalid

Mmm.. try this and mind the wrap.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...te-being-right
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote in
:

Mmm.. try this and mind the wrap.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...ed-system-some
times-i-hate-being-right

If that doesn't work, try this:
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...closed-system-
sometimes-i-hate-being-right

The "apostrophe" appears to be a 3-byte wide Unicode character. Why their
software didn't encode it properly or at least use the HTML equivalent, I
don't know.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in
:

Robatoy wrote in
:

Mmm.. try this and mind the wrap.

http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...sed-system-som
e times-i-hate-being-right

If that doesn't work, try this:
http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/articl...99s-closed-sys
tem- sometimes-i-hate-being-right

The "apostrophe" appears to be a 3-byte wide Unicode character. Why
their software didn't encode it properly or at least use the HTML
equivalent, I don't know.

Puckdropper

Now I got there finally via the last url.

The "dystopian" future they're talking about is the Big Brother attitude
that "We will determine what can run on our machine/software".

This has both good and bad effects. In the end we'll see.

--
Best regards
Han

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 3, 7:11*am, Han wrote:
[...]

It is a proven business model. Sell the 'tool' for cheap, charge an
arm and a leg for the proprietary attachments.
Xerox didn't sell copiers, they sold paper and chemicals, Gilette
doesn't sell razors, they sell blades.
Steven Jobs isn't only shrewd, he's diabolical.
Which is why I don't have an iTunes account, or have an iPhone.
I am starting to think that the iPad is the end of his winning streak.
Then again, he's awful good at reading/creating markets. Time will
tell.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2010 7:19 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I am starting to think that the iPad is the end of his winning streak.
Then again, he's awful good at reading/creating markets. Time will
tell.

You underestimate a culture that will pay top dollar for NEW blue jeans
with holes and tears in them.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

*wrote:

On Feb 1, 11:17 pm, *wrote:
[...]

Like, * OMG , IDKT!

I get a kick out of those who think it's a 'kid' thing with the OMG's
etc.

Remember these? From eons ago? Stuff like FTW, and the classic TTFN!

TTFN!
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

On Feb 1, 11:17 pm, wrote:
[...]

In England, back in the sixites, it was shorthand for "ta ta for now",
or another way of saying goodbye.

Used to get a kick out of the English girls saying, "If you get a
chance, knock me up!"

Sure, darling ... at your pleasure!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 2/3/2010 7:19 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I am starting to think that the iPad is the end of his winning streak.
Then again, he's awful good at reading/creating markets. Time will
tell.

You underestimate a culture that will pay top dollar for NEW blue jeans
with holes and tears in them.

Just like in the 60"s.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2010 9:03 AM, CW wrote:

"Swingman"wrote in message

You underestimate a culture that will pay top dollar for NEW blue
jeans with holes and tears in them.

Just like in the 60"s.

In the sixties idiots had to make their own rips and tears, they didn't
pay more than the cost of a new pair without rips and tears. Children of
idiot's children are observably more idiotic.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

In article ,
Swingman wrote:
On 2/3/2010 7:19 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I am starting to think that the iPad is the end of his winning streak.
Then again, he's awful good at reading/creating markets. Time will
tell.

You underestimate a culture that will pay top dollar for NEW blue jeans
with holes and tears in them.

??? how can one _under_-estimate such a culture? evil grin

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/3/2010 7:12 PM, Han wrote:

I really like my iPhone. ANd Swingman doesn't mind that I buy his music on
iTunes. His Request Vol II saved my sanity as I was held captive by the
PATH system this evening ...

I like my iPod, although I don't use it as much as I used to with my
blackberry playing most of the music on it, so I only need one device,
plus the BB streams audio nicely.

I gifted my youngest with an iTouch for Christmas and was moderately
impressed with it, but it is not something I have a need for.

The majority of the songs I've purchased on iTunes are now DRM free. I
understand the driving forces behind proprietary devices, and
particularly the need to enforce intellectual property rights, but would
not buy a device that I did not have the ability to use "user created"
content.

I do think that DRM is, and will continue to be, the single biggest
hindrance to technological advance on the Internet ... it's why I think
all this optimism among the unwashed masses with regard to HTML5 is
premature. In short, content owners/providers will continue to throw
every wrench they can into the works until the vestiges of all the old,
pre digital, business models are a thing of the past. This is
particularly true of video content, which would probably be the most
appealing aspect of HTML5, IMO.

Glad you enjoy the album ... it should have been DRM free, right?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Swingman wrote in
:

Glad you enjoy the album ... it should have been DRM free, right?

Yes!!! And yes.

--
Best regards
Han
Posted to rec.woodworking

"CW" wrote in message
m...

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 2/3/2010 7:19 AM, Robatoy wrote:

I am starting to think that the iPad is the end of his winning streak.
Then again, he's awful good at reading/creating markets. Time will
tell.

You underestimate a culture that will pay top dollar for NEW blue jeans
with holes and tears in them.

Just like in the 60"s.

Hey there! We most certainly did not do that in the 60's. We earned our
holes and tears in our blue jeans back then. Sure as hell never bought them
new like that.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:17:35 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

One of the coolest websites on the web today:

http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/

There's a sayin in AA which seems to fit he

"Some are sicker than others."

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:57:03 -0500, the infamous Phisherman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Feb 1, 11:17*pm, Swingman wrote:
One of the coolest websites on the web today:

http://www1.mcdonalds.com/mccafe/

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Doesn't come across all that cool on my Blackberry and is a ****load
of overhead on my old laptop.
Works just fine on my desktops and is kinda cool.
I wonder what percentage of potential customers are still on dial-up.

Doesn't run on my PC either. For a blue-chip company and the biggest
world restaurant chain, this is a poor excuse, poor design (they
should have hired me).

I'd have given them their money's worth, too.

I got 3 words from each actor before 45 seconds of buffering EACH
TIME, and I'm on DSL.

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
-- George Bernard Shaw

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 02 Feb 2010 09:09:10 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Feb 1, 11:17 pm, wrote:
[...]

That'n went PSA on me, too.

--UNcool in Oregon, and lovin' it!

--
Imagination is the beginning of creation. You imagine what you desire,
you will what you imagine and at last you create what you will.
-- George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from $599
when originally released.

--snip--

Seen the new Apple iBama yet?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kev...y/1211012.html

--
We don't receive wisdom; we must discover it for ourselves
after a journey that no one can take for us or spare us.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from $599
when originally released.

--snip--

Seen the new Apple iBama yet?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kev...y/1211012.html

Does it have the speeches to kindergarteners?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2/7/2010 11:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from $599
when originally released.

--snip--

Seen the new Apple iBama yet?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kev...y/1211012.html

Damn ... built-in teleprompter to boot.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 7:37*am, Swingman wrote:
On 2/7/2010 11:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman
*scrawled the following:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from $599
when originally released.

--snip--

Seen the new Apple iBama yet?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kev...y/1211012.html

Damn ... built-in teleprompter to boot.

....complete with a "corPsman" or three.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 11:18*am, " wrote:
On Feb 8, 7:37*am, Swingman wrote:

On 2/7/2010 11:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman
*scrawled the following:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from $599
when originally released.
--snip--

Seen the new Apple iBama yet?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kev...y/1211012.html

Damn ... built-in teleprompter to boot.

...complete with a "corPsman" or three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkzwr85rTSY
Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

On Feb 8, 11:18Â*am, " wrote:
On Feb 8, 7:37Â*am, Swingman wrote:

On 2/7/2010 11:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman
Â*scrawled the following:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from
$599 when originally released.
--snip--

Seen the new Apple iBama yet?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kev...y/1211012.html

Damn ... built-in teleprompter to boot.

...complete with a "corPsman" or three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkzwr85rTSY

That's the best you've got? 3 bullet points written on her palm from
which she was able to construct an entire coherent speech? As opposed to a
full teleprompter setup from which we get "CorpseMan" and other nonsense?

Pretty weak tea there

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 10:31*am, Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 8, 11:18*am, " wrote:

On Feb 8, 7:37*am, Swingman wrote:

On 2/7/2010 11:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman
*scrawled the following:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from $599
when originally released.
--snip--

Seen the new Apple iBama yet?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kev...y/1211012.html

Damn ... built-in teleprompter to boot.

...complete with a "corPsman" or three.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkzwr85rTSY

If she's dumb for making a few crib notes, what do you call someone
who knows nothing without a teleprompter and very little with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlKIfzoC8D0
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 9, 12:39*am, Mark & Juanita wrote:
Robatoy wrote:
On Feb 8, 11:18*am, " wrote:
On Feb 8, 7:37*am, Swingman wrote:

On 2/7/2010 11:17 PM, Larry Jaques wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jan 2010 16:13:00 -0600, the infamous Swingman
*scrawled the following:

The price will fall. Today the iPhone can be had for $99, down from
$599 when originally released.
--snip--

Seen the new Apple iBama yet?
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/kev...y/1211012.html