Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suggestion for Joiner?

I like the Porter Cable. The Ryobi springs seemed a bit tight for me.
And the ergonomics were not what I liked.

So, anyone with any thoughts as to other preferences? Did Milwaukee make
one?

The Craftsman looks ok too.

Thanks in advance.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"EC II" wrote in message
I like the Porter Cable. The Ryobi springs seemed a bit tight for me. And
the ergonomics were not what I liked.

So, anyone with any thoughts as to other preferences? Did Milwaukee make
one?

The Craftsman looks ok too.

Thanks in advance.

For affordable the PC has been the front runner. Up from there is the
Lamelo considered the Cadillac or the Festool Domino to step it up a couple
of notches.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I guess you mean biscuit or plate Joiner. I have a Dewalt. It looks
nice but I don't like it. Really stiff, noisey and just sounds bad
like grinding metal. I've almost sold it a time or two via craigs or
eBay but feel guilty. I use it so infrequently that I just keep
keeping it.

On Jan 21, 9:33*am, EC II wrote:
I like the Porter Cable. The Ryobi springs seemed a bit tight for me.
And the ergonomics were not what I liked.

So, anyone with any thoughts as to other preferences? Did Milwaukee make
one?

The Craftsman looks ok too.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I guess you mean biscuit or plate Joiner. I have a Dewalt. It looks
nice but I don't like it. Really stiff, noisey and just sounds bad
like grinding metal. I've almost sold it a time or two via craigs or
eBay but feel guilty. I use it so infrequently that I just keep
keeping it.

I'll second this. First time I cranked it up, I thought it was broken, it
was grinding so much. The thing that bothers me most is that since I use it
lefthanded, the motor fan blows the sawdust up, directly into my face. That
being said, the only step ups I would consider would be a Lamelo ($$$WOW$$$)
or a Festool Domino. If I went the domino route, I doubt I'd even get rid
of the DeWalt since they are different animals.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"EC II" wrote in message
I like the Porter Cable. The Ryobi springs seemed a bit tight for me. And
the ergonomics were not what I liked.

So, anyone with any thoughts as to other preferences? Did Milwaukee make
one?

The Craftsman looks ok too.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Porter Cable. I found an adapter for the dust outlet and I use a
small Ridgid shop vac that does a *fine* job.
It's no Lamelleo but then I don't use it enough to justify the cost of the
Lamello.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message

"EC II" wrote in message
I like the Porter Cable. The Ryobi springs seemed a bit tight for me. And
the ergonomics were not what I liked.

So, anyone with any thoughts as to other preferences? Did Milwaukee make
one?

The Craftsman looks ok too.

Thanks in advance.

I have the Porter Cable. I found an adapter for the dust outlet and I use a
small Ridgid shop vac that does a *fine* job.
It's no Lamelleo but then I don't use it enough to justify the cost of the
Lamello.

Max

I'll second that. I use a PC 39332 vac hose on my 557. It's much smaller in
diameter than my regular vac hose and is much easier to move around with.
Art

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 11:33*am, EC II wrote:
I like the Porter Cable. The Ryobi springs seemed a bit tight for me.
And the ergonomics were not what I liked.

So, anyone with any thoughts as to other preferences? Did Milwaukee make
one?

The Craftsman looks ok too.

Thanks in advance.

I have an older DeWalt but it looks pretty much like the newer ones,
Been very satisfied,

RonB
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Jan 21, 5:30*pm, "Joe" wrote:
"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message

I guess you mean biscuit or plate Joiner. I have a Dewalt. It looks
nice but I don't like it. Really stiff, noisey and just sounds bad
like grinding metal. I've almost sold it a time or two via craigs or
eBay but feel guilty. I use it so infrequently that I just keep
keeping it.

I'll second this. *First time I cranked it up, I thought it was broken, it
was grinding so much. *The thing that bothers me most is that since I use it
lefthanded, the motor fan blows the sawdust up, directly into my face. *That
being said, the only step ups I would consider would be a Lamelo ($$$WOW$$$)
or a Festool Domino. *If I went the domino route, I doubt I'd even get rid
of the DeWalt since they are different animals.

Same with my PC. It sounds like a coffee grinder full of 1/4-20
nuts. For the $230 I spent on it, I'm certainly not impressed with
either the quality of the machine or its operation.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Joe" wrote in message

"SonomaProducts.com" wrote in message
I guess you mean biscuit or plate Joiner. I have a Dewalt. It looks
nice but I don't like it. Really stiff, noisey and just sounds bad
like grinding metal. I've almost sold it a time or two via craigs or
eBay but feel guilty. I use it so infrequently that I just keep
keeping it.

I'll second this. First time I cranked it up, I thought it was broken, it
was grinding so much. The thing that bothers me most is that since I use
it lefthanded, the motor fan blows the sawdust up, directly into my face.
That being said, the only step ups I would consider would be a Lamelo
($$$WOW$$$) or a Festool Domino. If I went the domino route, I doubt I'd
even get rid of the DeWalt since they are different animals.

I have had a PC 556 plate joiner since 1989, and have had the Type 1 PC 557
plate joiner for at least 10 years... I kept the old one to make odd cuts
that you may not want to make with my newer unit. Now that I have a Domino
I may get rid of the oldest one and hang on to the 557 for those odd jobs.
A cool use for any plate joiner is to cut mortises for drawer "lock arms" to
engage. Because the lock arm moves in an arc to engage the mortise the arc
mortise that the plate joiner makes works well.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Funny, I have a DeWalt too but never use it. I also feel like selling it
all the time but never do. It sounds much better if you hook it up to a
shop vac. All plate joiners I've tried have the same motor/gear grinding
noise.

I've had the PC, Lamello and DeWalt but never got decent results with any
of them. There's often a difference in the slot location so the joints
don't line up perfectly. A slot cutter in the router table always works
and is always aligned. I've taken to using splines instead of biscuits
whenever I can. The downside to the router table is less versatility and
no portability.

I tried using dominoes at work but they kept breaking. I'm convinced
it's the machine and not the employees. I invested in 2 horizontal
mortisers and solved that problem.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Dayvo" wrote in message
Funny, I have a DeWalt too but never use it. I also feel like selling it
all the time but never do. It sounds much better if you hook it up to a
shop vac. All plate joiners I've tried have the same motor/gear grinding
noise.

I've had the PC, Lamello and DeWalt but never got decent results with any
of them.

Really? I'd be *very* interested in your opinion of why the results with
the Lamelo weren't any better than those of the (generally accepted) lower
quality units.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010 05:37:24 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the following:

On Jan 21, 5:30*pm, "Joe" wrote:
[...]

Hey, that's what my $24 HF bisquicker sounds like. I should throw some
thrust washers in there to take up the slack. If I let off the
throttle while the cutter is engaged, it makes a wider slot and the
biscuits don't fit as well.

--
The greatest fine art of the future will be the making
of a comfortable living from a small piece of land.

Old joiner - what would you do? [email protected] Woodworking 34 June 30th 07 05:27 AM
Biscuit joiner efgh Woodworking 65 June 2nd 07 06:06 AM
biscuit joiner nobody Home Repair 7 March 22nd 05 03:27 PM
Joiner 6" or 8" Keith Woodworking 27 March 7th 05 01:43 AM
Joiner [email protected] Woodworking 9 January 6th 05 04:56 AM