Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Default Can't lift grime of table saw

Hi,

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in
a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to
lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime
seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger),
but it's just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:

http://freeboundaries.com/grime1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/grime2.jpg

I have tried:

Scotch Brite
Steel wool
Sand paper

in combinations with:

WD40
Goof off
Acetone
dishwasher soap
baking soda
mineral spirits

Nothing works!

Any further ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sam
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

http://freeboundaries.com/grime1.jpg...com/grime2.jpg

I have tried:

Scotch Brite
Steel wool
Sand paper

in combinations with:

WD40
Goof off
Acetone
dishwasher soap
baking soda
mineral spirits

Nothing works!

Any further ideas would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Sam

wire brush
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

Formula 409 and Fantastik sometimes do what others can't. Interesting
stuff.
Oven cleaner?
Roofing tar remover, for ladders, tools, etc.
Machinists use varieties of degreasers.

A trick the wife showed me, when *nothing* would get deep machine grease out
of my hands:
Scrub in vegetable oil!!! effingAmazing!
Similarly, scrubbing with motor oil, ATF, or some such might help as well.

The wire brush suggestion is not without merit either. Mebbe a spatula, or
even a razor blade, or any sharpened sheetmetal or shim stock, so you just
have a thin layer left to deal with chemically.
--
EA

Thanks!

Sam

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Sam Takoy wrote:
[...]

When all else fails lacquer thinner usually works.

--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 12:56*pm, Sam Takoy wrote:
[...]

To your list I would add:

- Simple Green
- Automotive tar cleaner
- A good citrus-based bicycle chain cleaner

I doubt if a simple household citrus cleaner will do the job, based on
what you have done. The chain cleaner is meant to be a soak, then
scrub cleaner. Give it a try with a scotchbrite or even a wire
brush. The last time I had to clean the gooey preservative off of a
new tool table top the bike chain cleaner practically floated it off
after a 10-20 minute soak.

Good Luck

RonB

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Gasoline and an effective scrubber.

Sonny
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:56:41 -0500, Sam Takoy wrote:
WD40
Goof off
Acetone
dishwasher soap
baking soda
mineral spirits

Regular ol' gas might be worth a shot.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Sam Takoy wrote:

Hi,

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in
a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to
lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime
seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger),
but it's just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:

http://freeboundaries.com/grime1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/grime2.jpg

I can't tell anything from the pictures-- but if your finger 'moves it
around' - try a Magic Eraser. [follow the directions- they are to be
used dry]

Actually- have you tried all your abrasives dry-- or just with
solvents. Sometimes dry is better.

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 12/31/2009 12:56 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:

[...]

I've looked at your photos, read what you've tried, and read the
suggestions offered - and if none of these things works, I'll suggest
that you use the proceeds of the saw's sale toward the purchase of a
brand new high-end cabinet saw.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 10:56*am, Sam Takoy wrote:

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in
a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to
lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime
seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger),
but it's just too sticky to come up.

If it moves but doesn't come up, try a razor blade scraper.

There's another cleaner that wasn't in your list, that often works
for me; waterless hand cleaner. Lanolin is the old standby,
and the imitation-lanolin waterless hand cleaners are OK substitutes.
Wipe off with a damp rag afterward.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

Kerosene. BTDT. Followup with a good degreaser (I used Simple Green)
Like someone else mentioned........gasoline. But I think Kerosene is safer.

Max

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 3:11*pm, Jules
wrote:
On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 13:56:41 -0500, Sam Takoy wrote:
WD40
Goof off
Acetone
dishwasher soap
baking soda
mineral spirits

Regular ol' gas might be worth a shot.

Outdoors for that, though.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Sam Takoy wrote:
[...]

Time to think outside the smallest room in the house:

1. Propane torch.
2. Sandblasting.
3. Belt sander.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in
:

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky.
a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 4:23*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
"Max" wrote :

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

Gasoline AND a propane torch!!!!

Just kidding. Really. I was kidding.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

It may be down in the aluminum, which is slightly porous. I'd say just keep
trying different solvents.

Don't know if Goof Off or Goo Gone has been mentioned yet.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 12/31/2009 4:23 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky.
a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.

I wholeheartedly agree, for city folks ... but go try to sell that to a
real farm boy.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

First of all, I'd use a half or quarter sheet sander with 120grit
dry, after scraping off everything as best you can with a putty
knife. That should get you down to metal and if the sandpaper
comes out clean, the stain won't be passed along to your work,
when you use the table.

Another excellent little product is BRAKE PARTS CLEANER spray. It
comes in two formula, and I'd try each. This stuff works great
for about anything, but I'd use it outdoors. Spray and scrub in
with 0000 steel wool, then immediately wipe. It evaporates like
crazy and is flammable, so again, work outdoors with nothing
sparking.

If you aren't worried about what happens, try some muriatic acid
in a tiny area, wiping it off quickly.

--
Nonny

and articulate person who has absolutely no clue
concerning what they are talking about.
The person is typically a media commentator or politician.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 12/31/2009 4:23 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky.
a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.

I wholeheartedly agree, for city folks ... but go try to sell that to a
real farm boy.

Or a mechanic. I usta use gasoline to clean my hands...

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

In article ,
Sam Takoy wrote:

[...]

For some things, bathroom cleaner (such as "scrubbing bubbles" brand)
seems to work when most other cleaners fail. I don't know if tarry goo
is on that list or not.

Sometimes, too, I find a traditional scrub brush (or old toothbrush or
such like) is more effective than an abrasive; the bristles tend to get
down in the little divots and rough bits of the surface better.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in
a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to
lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime
seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger),
but it's just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:

My favorite: napalm.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

Try using Duct Tape to stick on the surface, it may stick to what you rant
to remove. I have used tape to lift lots of those gummy adjesives that
solvents dont seem to permanently desolve.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Dec 31, 8:27*pm, "Steve B" wrote:
On 12/31/2009 4:23 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky.
a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.

You don't use it by the gallon. *You just put a little on a rag, then set
the can away from where you are working. *Outside, preferably.

And never run with scissors in your hand. *You could put yer eye out.

Steve

No you are supposed to soak the whole saw in it while smoking. The
flames will reduce the residue (and the saw) to nothing. Then when you
wake up in the burn unit, You can think about what new saw you want.

I have used in the past.....gas, kerosene, diesel (works great on
getting really thick grease off of your hands), brake cleaner, pumice
hand cleaner, a wire cup for an angle grinder, a heat gun and scraper,
an automotive or industrial degreaser, or the sandpaper route. Though
with the sandpaper route, I would start at 150 grit and on a half
sheet sander.

You might want to try penetrating oil and a scotch brite pad as well.

Allen
(who is running with scissors and untied shoes after I have put out a
grease fire with a big cup of water)

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in a
garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to lift
the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime seems to
move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger), but it's
just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:

I'd be inclined to take a scraper to it, even a card scraper, to remove the
build up. Clearly this requires some care so as to not score the surface but
it shouldn't be a big deal. After the scraper use coarse Scotch Brite pads
with WD40, kerosene, (or gasoline!) to remove the rest of the asphalt.
Another solvent that would probably work is sold in the automotive stores as
bug and tar remover.

Another mechanical means would be to use an auto body float (file from the
lead sled days) or file designed for flattening cast iron surfaces. Both are
not commonly available today, and require skill to use, but old serviceable
ones can be found.

I equate this problem to cleaning up a maple cutting board counter top that
had gotten all gooey... the owner attempted to sand it but the paper clogged
up instantly. I took a Stanley No 80 scraper to it and had it ready for
mineral oil in a matter of minutes.

John

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Sonny" wrote in message
Gasoline and an effective scrubber.

Sonny

(sarcasm on) Great idea on a dry, wintry day (sarcasm off). if you must use
something flammable, try kerosene instead.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Father Haskell" wrote in message
[...]

Bug and Tar Remover....

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Nonny" wrote:

First of all, I'd use a half or quarter sheet sander with 120grit
dry, after scraping off everything as best you can with a putty
knife. That should get you down to metal and if the sandpaper comes
out clean, the stain won't be passed along to your work, when you
use the table.

Yep.

Top make look like ugly on an ape, but if sandpaper remains clean, so
what?

Another excellent little product is BRAKE PARTS CLEANER spray. It
comes in two formula, and I'd try each. This stuff works great for
about anything, but I'd use it outdoors. Spray and scrub in with
0000 steel wool, then immediately wipe. It evaporates like crazy
and is flammable, so again, work outdoors with nothing sparking.

Again Yep, it's my weapon of choice, but only outside.

Has lots of VOCs, be careful.

Lew

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

Fast Orange hand cleaner. I do not like to wear gloves when painting or any
other messy job. Fast Orange removes grease, oil paint, lacquer, wood stain
etc from my hands. Even after it has dried. Yet it leaves hands feeling
good. I bought it at WalMart or NAPA. Don't remember. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

I'd get some diatom earth - or Mothers polish and polish it off.
Mothers polish at auto shop. Can get red and worst case black polish there.
Rubbing compound - something that will absorb this stuff and cart it away.

Martin

Sam Takoy wrote:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

Tar paper is petroleum based. So, your removal solvent will
need to be petroleum based. I'd be tempted to haul the saw
outdoors. Lay paper towels over the saw top, and soak the
paper towels in diesel fuel, or kerosene. Cover the wet
towels in aluminum foil, and wait over night. Remove the
foil, and see if the grime is any looser.

The other zany thing comes to mind is Easy Off oven cleaner.
Which is strongly hydroxide. Sometimes that will change
grease to soap, which rinses off more easily.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Leon" wrote in message

"Swingman" wrote in message
On 12/31/2009 4:23 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky.
a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.

I wholeheartedly agree, for city folks ... but go try to sell that to a
real farm boy.

Or a mechanic. I usta use gasoline to clean my hands...

Leaded? That would explain a lot. (just kidding, just kidding)

Max

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

On 12/31/2009 4:23 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky.
a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.

You don't use it by the gallon. You just put a little on a rag, then set
the can away from where you are working. Outside, preferably.

And never run with scissors in your hand. You could put yer eye out.

Steve

And never remove the guard from a table saw.
And Radial arm saws are extremely dangerous.
And dust explosions have happened in ungrounded dust collection systems
And...........................

Max

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 31 Dec 2009 16:38:41 -0800, jo4hn
wrote:

Sam Takoy wrote:
Hi,

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in
a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to
lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime
seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger),
but it's just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:

My favorite: napalm.

Tide and white gas, sticks good too like a gel stripper. Where is that
Willy P (the igniters are the only munition that made me shake).

Mark
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

On 1/1/2010 10:41 AM, Markem wrote:

Where is that
Willy P (the igniters are the only munition that made me shake).

Firing a 1000m HOB of "Willy P" on a grid intersection saved my ass on
many an occasion ... poor man's GPS!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
EXT EXT is offline

Default Can't lift grime - looks like my saw

"Sam Takoy" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in a
garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to lift
the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime seems to
move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger), but it's
just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:

http://freeboundaries.com/grime1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/grime2.jpg

You don't say what type of grime you have and what the saw table is made of,
but the saw table looks like the one I am using today. Mine is cast iron
with a rough milled surface. I use mine for many things because I am short
of table space. Often the top gets a little rust, paint splatters and who
knows what on the surface. With the not-too-smooth milling on the surface,
the stuff really bonds. I have found that a good solvent such as lacquer
thinner will remove the dissolvable materials and a run over with a belt
sander with a 120 grit aluminum oxide belt cleans it up and even smoothes
the milled surface without taking off more than a fraction of a thousandth
inch of iron. Don't use a belt intended for metal grinding as it will be too
aggressive, aluminum oxide is good as it will wear down on iron before it
does any damage.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking

"Max" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message

On 12/31/2009 4:23 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky.
a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.

You don't use it by the gallon. You just put a little on a rag, then set
the can away from where you are working. Outside, preferably.

And never run with scissors in your hand. You could put yer eye out.

Steve

And never remove the guard from a table saw.
And Radial arm saws are extremely dangerous.
And dust explosions have happened in ungrounded dust collection systems
And...........................

Max

I was just throwing gas on Jim Yanik's gas paranoia fire.

Steve

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Max" wrote in message
"Steve B" wrote in message

On 12/31/2009 4:23 PM, Jim Yanik wrote:

NEVER use gasoline for a cleaning solvent.TOO risky.
a spark could set off the vapors.Don't be stupid.

You don't use it by the gallon. You just put a little on a rag, then
set the can away from where you are working. Outside, preferably.

And never run with scissors in your hand. You could put yer eye out.

Steve

And never remove the guard from a table saw.
And Radial arm saws are extremely dangerous.
And dust explosions have happened in ungrounded dust collection systems

Max

I was just throwing gas on Jim Yanik's gas paranoia fire.

Steve

I surmised as much. I thought I would add a little fuel.

Max