Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default Can't lift grime of table saw

On 12/31/2009 12:56 PM, Sam Takoy wrote:

I'm rehabbing an old craftsman saw which has never been used but sat in
a garage for 20+ years. The tar paper had completely rusted into the
surfaces. I have cleaned it up substantially but I just can't seem to
lift the remaining grime off of it. The funny thing is that the grime
seems to move around the saw (for example if I rub it with my finger),
but it's just too sticky to come up. Here are two pictures:

http://freeboundaries.com/grime1.jpg
http://freeboundaries.com/grime2.jpg

I have tried:

Scotch Brite
Steel wool
Sand paper

in combinations with:

WD40
Goof off
Acetone
dishwasher soap
baking soda
mineral spirits

Nothing works!

Any further ideas would be appreciated!

I've looked at your photos, read what you've tried, and read the
suggestions offered - and if none of these things works, I'll suggest
that you use the proceeds of the saw's sale toward the purchase of a
brand new high-end cabinet saw.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar