Silvan

Default Align-A-Rip track nuts

I have no idea what kind of nuts I'm actually supposed to use with this
fence, nor where to buy them.

In preparing to attach some shop-built accessories to my fence, I needed to
solve this problem. No off the shelf hex nuts seemed to fit without
spinning, so I fired up my metal bandsaw. I cut some 3/4" wide 3/16" thick
cold rolled steel bar stock into suitable widths for a loose but "tight
enough" fit in the tracks, then drilled and tapped them for #10-32 machine
screws.

It proved to be a fun project for my kids to participate in, and I
manufactured way more than a lifetime supply of these things. If anyone is
in need, I'd be happy to part with my extra stock. They're not made to
ultra high tolerances, but they should do the job. (You supply your own
#10-32 machine screws of suitable length for whatever application you have
in mind.)

Email if interested.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

#10-32 machine screws of suitable length for whatever application you have
in mind.)

I'm not sure what fence you're talking about, but I suspect you want
"T-slot nuts". Lee Valley sells them for $1.65 for a bag of 10:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...1,43455,43830&
ccurrency=2&SID=

Of course, if making them yourself was a fun project for your and your
kids, I'd say you did the right thing making them yourself.
Silvan

Roy Smith wrote:

I'm not sure what fence you're talking about, but I suspect you want
"T-slot nuts". Lee Valley sells them for $1.65 for a bag of 10:

I'd say by eyeball, relative to the 3/4" slot in that picture, those are too
big.

Funny I missed them though. I've looked at that page lotsa times.

Sometimes you can't see the forest for the trees.

Of course, if making them yourself was a fun project for your and your
kids, I'd say you did the right thing making them yourself.

Saved money too, probably. I'm not sure what the bar stock cost, or how
much for the electricity and tool wear, but anything that can be made
without going out to buy something new is more or less free.

Especially considering that you and I both know I'd never just order one
lousy $1.65 bag of nuts if I were putting together a Lee Valley order.
Those would wind up being some really expensive nuts before it was all
over.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Mike Marlow

Silvan wrote:
I have no idea what kind of nuts I'm actually supposed to use with
this fence, nor where to buy them.

In preparing to attach some shop-built accessories to my fence, I
needed to solve this problem. No off the shelf hex nuts seemed to
fit without spinning, so I fired up my metal bandsaw. I cut some
3/4" wide 3/16" thick cold rolled steel bar stock into suitable
widths for a loose but "tight enough" fit in the tracks, then drilled
and tapped them for #10-32 machine screws.

It proved to be a fun project for my kids to participate in, and I
manufactured way more than a lifetime supply of these things. If
anyone is in need, I'd be happy to part with my extra stock. They're
not made to ultra high tolerances, but they should do the job. (You
supply your own #10-32 machine screws of suitable length for whatever
application you have in mind.)

Email if interested.

Hmmmmm... wierd Silvan. I had to come up with new attaching hardware for my
Align-A-Rip when I built my table extensions and I just grabbed a standard
5/16 (I think...) bolt and stuck the head in the channel the same way that
the Sears provided bolts fit in. Ran some nuts up on them and off we went.
Since the nuts have the same head shape as the bolts, I would think you
could have simply reversed the fastener to accomplish your objective.
But... like you said - you turned it into a thing with the kids and that's a
better solution.
--

-Mike-

Bridger

Silvan's going nuts.....
Silvan

Mike Marlow wrote:

Hmmmmm... wierd Silvan. I had to come up with new attaching hardware for
my Align-A-Rip when I built my table extensions and I just grabbed a
standard 5/16 (I think...) bolt and stuck the head in the channel the same
way that the Sears provided bolts fit in.

I tried several standard sizes of bolts, but couldn't get one that fit
without spinning. 7/16" was the closest, I think.

But... like you said - you turned it into a thing with the kids and that's
a better solution.

Yeah, any day of the week. Now I just have to go re-do all of them. I had
a look, and those threads are anything but perpendicular. Don't tell my
kids. By the time they're old enough to google up this post, they'll be
mature enough to handle it.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/

Box spanner for basin back nuts Joe UK diy 1 February 24th 04 01:13 AM
Halogen track lights - problem. Velvet UK diy 17 February 11th 04 11:46 PM
Curtain Track Kevin Rayner UK diy 8 January 13th 04 05:38 PM
RIGHT WING NUTS vastly outnumber LEFT WING NUTS . ROBB Metalworking 0 September 28th 03 11:54 PM
Gib screws and nuts GMasterman Metalworking 7 August 17th 03 10:03 AM