Kevin Rayner

Default Curtain Track

I need to replace the track on my bay window which is 20 odd years old
as the brackets are broken and the present types are different so I can't
get replacement brackets. The existing one is 3.5m long but the longest I
can find now is 3m which will be too short. So far I have tried Homebase and
B&Q. Somebody must have made track 3.5m or longer 20 years ago so why not
now.
Can I get longer track anywhere or should I fit smaller windows and
brick up the gap?

Kevin

chris French

In message , Kevin Rayner
writes
I need to replace the track on my bay window which is 20 odd years old
as the brackets are broken and the present types are different so I can't
get replacement brackets. The existing one is 3.5m long but the longest I
can find now is 3m which will be too short. So far I have tried Homebase and
B&Q. Somebody must have made track 3.5m or longer 20 years ago so why not
now.
Can I get longer track anywhere or should I fit smaller windows and
brick up the gap?

When I did mine I just used two shorter length and butted them in the
middle with end stops on, I don't want top pull the curtains right
round anyway.

However yes you can get longer lengths, for example:

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11504&ts=41044
--
Chris French, Leeds
Kevin Rayner

When I did mine I just used two shorter length and butted them in the
middle with end stops on, I don't want top pull the curtains right
round anyway.

That was going to be my fall back.

Kevin

chris French

In message , Harry Ziman
writes
You used to be able to get certain types of curtain rail with a joining
piece so that two shorter bits could be seamlessly linked into a single
longer one.

I think most plastic track still can be. Mine, which came from a local
shed certainly did.

--
Chris French, Leeds

Toby

Kevin Rayner wrote:
I need to replace the track on my bay window which is 20 odd
years old as the brackets are broken and the present types are
different so I can't get replacement brackets. The existing one is
3.5m long but the longest I can find now is 3m which will be too
short. So far I have tried Homebase and B&Q. Somebody must have made
track 3.5m or longer 20 years ago so why not now.
Can I get longer track anywhere or should I fit smaller windows
and brick up the gap?

Yes, try the cut to length stuff that comes in a coil, thought the larger
sheds did this? It may just not stand out so much on a shelf.
Online from Screwfix is one way.
5m, 21 brackets, 62 gliders and 6 end stops.
Part # 11504 £7.50 plus del

--
Toby.

Christian McArdle

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=11504&ts=41044

Have you ever tried fitting these? You end up with a nice wavy effect,
assuming the bending effect doesn't actually pull the brackets out of the
wall.

Christian.

Stuart

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 20:05:35 -0000, "Kevin Rayner"
wrote:

I need to replace the track on my bay window which is 20 odd years old
as the brackets are broken and the present types are different so I can't
get replacement brackets. The existing one is 3.5m long but the longest I
can find now is 3m which will be too short. So far I have tried Homebase and
B&Q. Somebody must have made track 3.5m or longer 20 years ago so why not
now.
Can I get longer track anywhere or should I fit smaller windows and
brick up the gap?

Kevin

www.polesdirect.com
You might get a clue here .
Stuart

--

"YESTERDAY is history,TOMORROW is a mystery,TODAY is a gift

That is why it is called the present "
Toby

Stuart wrote:
The existing one is
3.5m long but the longest I can find now is 3m which will be too
short. So far I have tried Homebase and B&Q. Somebody must have made

Just been in a fairly small HomeBase on the way home and (sadly) noticed the
curtain tracks.
They do them up to 4.5m but this is for the corded type, and it actually
comes in two pieces. What is even more tear jerking is that this is priced
at over £50.

They also do the cut-to-length coiled type at a shade under £7 for 6m or so.

--
Toby.