GMasterman

Default Gib screws and nuts

Got an old Sheldon 11X40 and need to replace the gib screws and lock nuts. The
1/4X28 screws are no real big problem but I have never seen any of the small
cross-section nuts like the factory used. No room for standard nuts. Any ideas?
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
GMasterman wrote:
Got an old Sheldon 11X40 and need to replace the gib screws and lock nuts. The
1/4X28 screws are no real big problem but I have never seen any of the small
cross-section nuts like the factory used. No room for standard nuts. Any ideas?

You mean thinner than the average nut? Or smaller across the
flats?

The first two assume that the lathe works well enough to
accomplish the task using it, or that you have another lathe.

1) Make them by drilling, tapping, and parting off from hex stock.

2) Put them in a hex collet with a depth stop and face them down
thinner.

3) Put them on a mag chuck on a surface grinder and thin them
down.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
jim rozen

In article , GMasterman says...

Got an old Sheldon 11X40 and need to replace the gib screws and lock nuts. The
1/4X28 screws are no real big problem but I have never seen any of the small
cross-section nuts like the factory used. No room for standard nuts. Any ideas?

1) take smaller nuts (say, 10-32) and drill and tap up to 1/4-28.

2) If it is thickness you are worried about, face down standard
nuts by using a threaded mandrel to hold them.

3) Fabricate your own! That's what lathes are all about.

Jim

please reply to:

GMasterman

Thanks for the ideas. The nuts need to be smaller in dia than standard nuts.
The originals were longer in length and were round for half of the nut length.
My problem is now that the lathe is out of service while I source a crossfeed
screw bushing. Without it, there is no way to use the lathe to make repair
parts. Guess I need two lathes?

jim rozen

In article , GMasterman says...

Thanks for the ideas. The nuts need to be smaller in dia than standard nuts.
The originals were longer in length and were round for half of the nut length.
My problem is now that the lathe is out of service while I source a crossfeed
screw bushing. Without it, there is no way to use the lathe to make repair
parts. Guess I need two lathes?

I guess the nuts were really locknuts for the individual gib
screws.

Just go ahead and use the machine without locknuts on those
screws, once you have the crossfeed bushing sorted out. Most
smaller, cheaper lathes like the 9" SB don't even have
locknuts installed from the factory, you just snug down
the screws and leave them at that. So fix up the locknuts
that way and then install them.

Jim

please reply to: