Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 220 V table saws and ground

"krw" wrote in message
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 22:25:46 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
. ..
On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 10:55:30 -0600, Swingman wrote:

Pat Barber wrote:

Swingman wrote:

The Gulf Coast desperately needs a change to underground electrical
infrastructure due to the historical and ever present hurricane
threat.

In every house I build I try mightily to install an underground feed
from the pole/line to the new service even though it adds +/- $1k to
the cost, location and municipal building requirements permitting.

In North Carolina, you would be hard pressed to NOT
find a underground service. They made that the standard
here well over 30 years ago.

IL, NY, and VT, too. Not sure when they did it in AL (we've only been
here a year) but all the new developments are underground.

NY still has tons of overhead power. New services too. It's far from
mostly underground.

*NEW* developments are underground.

Not all. As recently as over the past 5 years, new developments have been
served by overhead from the 13K down the road, to the drop to the house.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:37:44 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

.. .

Pat Barber wrote:

Swingman wrote:

[...]

Where was this. In the P'ok area it was a big deal in the '80s
because some would have had to cut through ledge to put in services.
It wasn't worth the bother so houses didn't get built.
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

IL, NY, and VT, too. Not sure when they did it in AL (we've only been
here a year) but all the new developments are underground.

NY still has tons of overhead power. New services too. It's far from
mostly underground.

*NEW* developments are underground.

Not all. As recently as over the past 5 years, new developments have been
served by overhead from the 13K down the road, to the drop to the house.

Where was this. In the P'ok area it was a big deal in the '80s
because some would have had to cut through ledge to put in services.
It wasn't worth the bother so houses didn't get built.

Upstate in the Central NY state area. When I read my most recent reply to
you, I thought it might look unclear. I'm not suggesting that underground
does not exist or even that it's not the most common by far, for new
developments. Just stating that there are still some not-so-uncommon cases
of overhead, even for these developments.

--

-Mike-

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:39:38 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

I lived in the P'ok area from the mid '70s through the mid '90s. We
were told by several builders and local politicians that underground
utilities were state mandates, at least in new developments over just
a few houses. Perhaps it wasn't a state mandate but I don't know
where else it would have come from. It certainly wasn't in the power
company's interest.

New Table Saws hildy Woodworking 2 July 4th 07 02:13 AM
How do SawStop Table Saws Compare as Saws? woodworker88 Woodworking 8 August 11th 05 04:42 AM
table saws Roonaldo Woodworking 14 September 20th 04 02:41 PM
Mitre saws, table saws, or flip saw? Tim Nicholson UK diy 6 May 9th 04 11:29 AM
Table Saws - what to do? HomeBrewer Woodworking 26 February 9th 04 01:03 AM