Posted to rec.woodworking
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default 220 V table saws and ground

On Sun, 20 Dec 2009 08:39:38 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
.. .
On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 08:37:44 -0500, "Mike Marlow"
wrote:

IL, NY, and VT, too. Not sure when they did it in AL (we've only been
here a year) but all the new developments are underground.

NY still has tons of overhead power. New services too. It's far from
mostly underground.

*NEW* developments are underground.

Not all. As recently as over the past 5 years, new developments have been
served by overhead from the 13K down the road, to the drop to the house.

Where was this. In the P'ok area it was a big deal in the '80s
because some would have had to cut through ledge to put in services.
It wasn't worth the bother so houses didn't get built.

Upstate in the Central NY state area. When I read my most recent reply to
you, I thought it might look unclear. I'm not suggesting that underground
does not exist or even that it's not the most common by far, for new
developments. Just stating that there are still some not-so-uncommon cases
of overhead, even for these developments.

I lived in the P'ok area from the mid '70s through the mid '90s. We
were told by several builders and local politicians that underground
utilities were state mandates, at least in new developments over just
a few houses. Perhaps it wasn't a state mandate but I don't know
where else it would have come from. It certainly wasn't in the power
company's interest.