Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Roto zip -- circles ?

I've never used one before but what's the word on the rotozip tool?

I can see how it would be nice for drywall etc but I'm looking for a
better way to cut circles in 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or mdf board.
(rather than a router).

Are these working looking at? -- is there a circle jig that works with
it?

Certainly you're moving less material with it than a router which may
be a good thing.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I've never used one before but what's the word on the rotozip tool?

Pretty much a waste of money unless you use it for what it was originally
designed to do, cut dry wall .

I can see how it would be nice for drywall etc but I'm looking for a
better way to cut circles in 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or mdf board.
(rather than a router).

Goo luck, most bits are .125", 1/8", they bend, fle, chatter, and break.

Are these working looking at? -- is there a circle jig that works with
it?

Certainly you're moving less material with it than a router which may
be a good thing.

Nou unless cutting dry wall.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 11:53*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I've never used one before but what's the word on the rotozip tool?

I can see how it would be nice for drywall etc but I'm looking for a
better way to cut circles in 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or mdf board.
(rather than a router).

Are these working looking at? -- is there a circle jig that works with
it?

Certainly you're moving less material with it than a router which may
be a good thing.

I've used the circle cutter with my RotoZip several times. I made a
cat tower with three 3/4" MDF stacked cubes. I used the RotoZip to
make the holes in the top and fronts of the cubes. I also used the
Rotozip and circle cutter to cut a hole in HardiBacker for the toilet
flanges in my previous house. Forget cutting floor tile, though. The
bit just gets glowingly embarrassed.

Worked for me, though the HardiBacker dust was hell on the bearings.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 2:25*pm, Keith Nuttle wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I have not use the rotozip, but have the equivalent cutter for my
dremmel. *I have used it to cut holes into dry wall, and into the
plywood paneling. *I would highly recommend the dremmel and that
attachment.

I'd think a Dremmel would be a little wimpy for MDF. All the RotoZip
is, after all, is a big Dremmel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"mkr5000" wrote in message
I've never used one before but what's the word on the rotozip tool?

I can see how it would be nice for drywall etc but I'm looking for a
better way to cut circles in 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or mdf board.
(rather than a router).

Are these working looking at? -- is there a circle jig that works with
it?

Certainly you're moving less material with it than a router which may
be a good thing.

I like my RotoZip. Made an adjustable base for it and use as a small router.
Convenient for small work. Uses 1/4 inch router bits. WW

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 9:53*am, mkr5000 wrote:
I've never used one before but what's the word on the rotozip tool?

I can see how it would be nice for drywall etc but I'm looking for a
better way to cut circles in 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or mdf board.
(rather than a router).

Are these working looking at? -- is there a circle jig that works with
it?

Certainly you're moving less material with it than a router which may
be a good thing.

As has been mentioned the rotozip and/or dremel don't work real well
for wood- with the possible exception of routing shallow cavities for
inlays. You might be better off looking at a laminate trimmer (mini-
router) and building a trammel for it or use it with template guides
to cut circles. I have a Ridgid laminate trimmer for this purpose that
I usually use with a 1/4" spiral bit. Maybe three passes around,
adjusting depth of cut to go through 1/2" mdf. Major clouds of dust!
I try to catch most in dust collector. Hope this helps.
Posted to rec.woodworking

dale martin wrote:
On Dec 4, 9:53 am, mkr5000 wrote:
[...]

Excellent idea! I have the $25 Harbor Freight model that I used for some
laminate trimming. Worked swell for that.

If cutting large holes in thick wood, I'd expect one to have to replace the
bit a few times.

Then, too, there's the jigsaw technique for cutting the interior of a wood
sheet... The OP didn't say whether he wanted a circulare hole or a circular
plate. If the latter, there's a technique for so doing using a table saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"mkr5000" wrote in message
I've never used one before but what's the word on the rotozip tool?

Pretty much a waste of money unless you use it for what it was
originally designed to do, cut dry wall .

Where it really _shines_ is _plaster_. It's good in drywall but I wouldn't
rush out to get one for that purpose unless I was installing the stuff for a
living. With plaster and a carbide bit though it's just plain wonderful.

I can see how it would be nice for drywall etc but I'm looking for a
better way to cut circles in 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or mdf board.
(rather than a router).

Goo luck, most bits are .125", 1/8", they bend, fle, chatter, and
break.

A Rotozip _is_ a router, but one with marginal depth adjustment and a rather
flimsy base that doesn't keep the bit square to the work--the problem with
the standard Rotozip bits in plywood and MDF is that they just plain don't
cut very fast and tend to burn. The Rotozip has 1/4" collets either in the
box or inexpensively available that allow it to be used with ordinary router
bits but it doesn't have any advantage I can identify over a router when
used with them.

The one time I tried to cut a plywood circle with a Rotozip I realized very
quickly that it is the wrong tool for the job.

If your objective is to have something small to cut plywood I'd recommend a
Bosch Colt or the like over a Rotozip.

Are these working looking at? -- is there a circle jig that works
with it?

Certainly you're moving less material with it than a router which may
be a good thing.

Nou unless cutting dry wall.

Or plaster.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

*snip*

Then, too, there's the jigsaw technique for cutting the interior of a
wood sheet... The OP didn't say whether he wanted a circulare hole or
a circular plate. If the latter, there's a technique for so doing
using a table saw.

If he needs a circular hole, a set of drill bits will cost way less than
the Rotozip and probably leave him much happier. If he needs circular
plates (with a centered hole in the middle), a good hole saw set will
probably cost about the same as the Rotozip and probably work much better.

In short, small rotary tools have few uses in woodworking.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

Puckdropper wrote:
"HeyBub" wrote in
m:

*snip*

Then, too, there's the jigsaw technique for cutting the interior of a
wood sheet... The OP didn't say whether he wanted a circulare hole or
a circular plate. If the latter, there's a technique for so doing
using a table saw.

If he needs a circular hole, a set of drill bits will cost way less
than the Rotozip and probably leave him much happier. If he needs
circular plates (with a centered hole in the middle), a good hole saw
set will probably cost about the same as the Rotozip and probably
work much better.

In short, small rotary tools have few uses in woodworking.

Puckdropper

Uh, if one needs, say, a two foot diameter hole, that's a Hell of a drill
bit. Same for a hole saw.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in
:

Puckdropper wrote:

If he needs a circular hole, a set of drill bits will cost way less
than the Rotozip and probably leave him much happier. If he needs
circular plates (with a centered hole in the middle), a good hole saw
set will probably cost about the same as the Rotozip and probably
work much better.

In short, small rotary tools have few uses in woodworking.

Puckdropper

Uh, if one needs, say, a two foot diameter hole, that's a Hell of a
drill bit. Same for a hole saw.

They've got them that big, but the rental on the digging machine would
probably cost more than the Rotozip and probably work much worse. ;-)

Holes up to 3", holesaws and drill bits. Larger holes, Jigsaws and
routers. (It's difficult to turn a jigsaw in small holes, say 1 1/2"
diameter or less.)

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 4, 12:53*pm, mkr5000 wrote:
I've never used one before but what's the word on the rotozip tool?

A) better way to cut circles in 1/2" or 3/4" plywood or mdf board.
(rather than a router).

B) is there a circle jig that works with it?

C) moving less material with it than a router which may be a good
thing.

A) No, it is not a good tool for 1/2" and 2/4" plywood or MDF

B) Yes, My kit (SEARS version) came with one. (And a "routing/er"
attachment!

C) bits are, generally 1/8" diameter which removes less material, but
is also weaker than a 1/4" bit and prone to breakage. Esp in thicker
wood,

You did not indicate the size of the holes you want / expect to cut.
And it is not clear in my mind if you are cutting a hole in or cutting
a circle of the plywood or MDF.

I've cut circles with a band saw, table saw, jig saws, router,
"rotozip" and hole saws and I would never select the "rotozip" over a
decent router for the stock you indicated.

The best part of my "rotozip is the flexible extension, But it suffers
from an inability to accept a 1/4" bit/cutter.

$#!! Ooops...roto-hammer bits Gunner Asch[_2_] Metalworking 10 May 29th 17 12:16 AM
Roto Rooter ...or? and disposal model Higgs Boson[_2_] Home Repair 9 October 17th 09 08:12 PM
roto zip drywall cutter question # Fred # Home Repair 8 January 10th 07 05:51 AM
roto bor cutters plynn Metalworking 0 July 22nd 05 07:22 PM
Tip for Roto-Zip saw users Charley Woodworking 4 April 16th 05 05:15 PM