Charley

Default Tip for Roto-Zip saw users

Whenever I've used my Roto-Zip to cut figured patterns in plywood I've
always been frustrated with how much splintering of the bottom edges of the
cut line occurs. The other day I tried something new to reduce this problem
and it works really great.

I used a sheet of foam insulation as a backer to the 1/4 inch plywood that I
was cutting. I set the depth of cut so that the tip of the Roto-Zip blade
cuts into the foam, but doesn't exit the bottom of it. The foam insulation
holds the edges of the cut line and almost totally eliminates the chipping
of the bottom side of the plywood. The foam also collects and holds much of
the sawdust, and it doesn't seem to foul the Roto-Zip blade. It also allows
you to put the whole project on top of the workbench and not have it hanging
off the edge to allow for the blade protrusion from the bottom, so you don't
have to worry about hitting your workbench with the blade. You can also
re-use the foam panel many times before it gets so many cut lines in it that
it's effectiveness is reduced.

--
Charley

Mike S.

Good tip, saved it, thanks

--
Mike S.
Cape Girardeau, Mo.

http://members.tripod.com/n0yii/woodworking.htm
"Charley" wrote in message
news
[...]

Skippy Jones

"Charley" wrote in message
news
[...]

This is a great tip as well when you're trying to cut large sheets of
plywood or any sheet good on the floor with a clamp guide and circular saw.
this way you don't need to raise the piece up, just place it on the foam and
cut away.

Joe Bleau

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 14:58:29 GMT, "Charley"
wrote:

Whenever I've used my Roto-Zip to cut figured patterns in plywood I've

A really great tip. I think most of quickly realized that it has uses
well beyond the rotozip. Thanks.

Patrick Fischer

Thanks Charley. Filed in my "why didn't I think of this" file. g

--
Patrick Fischer
Olalla, WA

"Everyone is entitled to my opinion"