Posted to alt.home.repair

Default roto zip drywall cutter question

I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut
drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical
boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a
guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of an
electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit or
just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros making it
look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut
drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical
boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a
guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of an
electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit or
just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros making it
look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.

Its your technique. The last two you cut will be perfect.
;-)
--
Grandpa
Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut
drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical
boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a
guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of an
electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit or
just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros making it
look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.

Are you cutting clockwise around the electrical boxes? If you do that
then the clockwise rotation of the bit tends to pull the bit away from
the edge of the box. If you make the cut counter clockwise around the
box the bits rotation tends to pull the bit tight to the work. I would
suggest that you always run your cuts in the direction that will cause
the leading edge of the bit to rotate away from the work so that it
tends to push the tool tighter to the cut.
--
Tom Horne

for general use." Thomas Alva Edison
Posted to alt.home.repair

# Fred # wrote:
I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut
drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical
boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a
guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of an
electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit or
just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros making it
look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.

1. You want to use guide-point bits.

http://www.amazon.com/Rotozip-GP10-G.../dp/B0000224P6

2. Cut counter-clockwise around the outlet box. This will make the bit
tend to hug the box rather than wander. (If you're cutting out along
studs for a window or door opening, you'd want to cut clockwise.)

Posted to alt.home.repair

1. You want to use guide-point bits.

http://www.amazon.com/Rotozip-GP10-G.../dp/B0000224P6

2. Cut counter-clockwise around the outlet box. This will make the bit
tend to hug the box rather than wander. (If you're cutting out along studs
for a window or door opening, you'd want to cut clockwise.)

Thanks, will get some guide point bits.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 8 Jan 2007 18:58:19 -0800, "# Fred #"
wrote:

I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut
drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical
boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a
guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of an
electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit or
just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros making it
look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.

If you are cutting into the wood, too much of your bit is exposed.

--Andy Asberry--
------Texas-----
Posted to alt.home.repair

"# Fred #" wrote in message
. ..
I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut
drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical
boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a
guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of
an electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit
or just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros
making it look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.

Not answering your question but why not just use a jab saw? You're cutting
outlet boxes, not intricate artwork. With a jab saw it should take all of 2
minutes to cut the hole and since you're doing it by hand can follow the
pattern perfectly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"# Fred #" wrote in message
I'm using a 1/8" roto zip sabre cut bit (wood and plastic siding) to cut
drywalls but having a little problem following the outline of electrical
boxes or wall studs. Trimming the drywall off using the wall studs as a
guide I sometimes cut into the wood or trying to following the outline of
an electrical box the bit sometimes wonder off. Am I using the right bit
or just my poor technique? I now have a new appreciation for the pros
making it look so easy trimming around the walls and boxes.

Did you ever use a sheet rock hammer, square on the head with and a
blade on the serious end ? I've cut many a outlets with one.

--
Oren

WTB Roto/carve Table saw duplicator dtoggs Woodturning 12 March 24th 21 05:15 AM
Drywall cutter Eigenvector Home Repair 4 September 10th 06 10:04 PM
roto bor cutters plynn Metalworking 0 July 22nd 05 07:22 PM
Tip for Roto-Zip saw users Charley Woodworking 4 April 16th 05 05:15 PM
Fly cutter question(s) Airy R.Bean Metalworking 5 January 26th 05 05:47 PM