Posted to rec.woodworking

Default RE NYW Kitchen Project

"Tom Watson" wrote in message
On Thu, 3 Dec 2009 13:17:34 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

Swingman has the Blue $50 version, the one I posted a link to first.
Not the Tek4 green version posted second.

I did a little reading about these gizmos last night and, despite
being a cheap bastage, I went for the Tek4 model. I already had their
Tek4 infrared thermometer and was impressed by its design and
performance.

You have it already!!!!!! LOL

The new level gizmoid is really cool. I've got at least two ceiling
projects I can use it on.

At this rate I might actually make it into the twenty first century
before I die...

Now be careful....

An old friend of mine that I have been dragging kicking and screaming into
the 21st century now has more nail guns than me, think. ;~) He has never
owned a router but asked my advice. He bought a double base combo, Bosch
IIRC and a router table, "he did not know they existed 3 weeks ago", and 1,
"one", router bit.

He called me this morning to tell me how rounding over some white oak went
with that "1" bit with the router in the router table. I think he almost
squealed. ;~) Another slippery slope.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Leon" wrote:

Snowing at your house yet? Too cold to work outside. ;~(

Per Google, it's 36F in Houston real time which puts it in the "tad nippy"
category.

And it is not even Christmas yet. LOL.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Do both sides of the door in one hanging with these, Jeffo:
(****, I can't find them anywhere) Well, they're rotatable hooks with
an expandable 30mm disc which fit into the euro hole in the cabinet
doors so you can hang 'em for spraying. I could have sworn LVT had
them, and I can't find them on WWHardware, either. Go figure.

You mean these:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...%20fin ishing

or these:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...nishing%20hook

or these:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...nishing%20hook

~Mark.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 07:24:13 -0600, the infamous Swingman
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

I love your Day 2 toe-kick drawers and their enlightened description
of use.

Before they became common, had one client that kept things she didn't
want the maid to find in the kitchen toe-kick drawers.

Hah! She didn't want the maid using them, or what? wink

Impossible to see, I learned early that if you use them you'd better let
the floor guys know not to nail them shut when applying shoe molding.

That would tend to lower the usability factor a tad. but an Azebiki
would get in there and fix things in a hurry, huh?

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 07:57:40 -0800, the infamous "Lew Hodgett"
scrawled the following:

"Leon" wrote:

Snowing at your house yet? Too cold to work outside. ;~(

Per Google, it's 36F in Houston real time which puts it in the "tad
nippy" category.

It's 28F here right now, due for 18F tomorrow morning. Ditto Monday,
when I go off workin' again. Brrrrr! My Columbia long johns are all
ready for me to don when I go back out in those temps.

But at least I have more work coming in at this time of year. I think
I'm going to regret one client's yard maintenance (I usually don't do
that but this lady is paying me $30/hr to rake leaves, so she's a
keeper.) from December to February or March. That account pays all my
monthly bills except the truck payment.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:19:23 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:
Note to WeeGee: The Master Rockhard Table Top Varnish I used on the
freebie dining table was as follows:

"Put a beautiful, hard amber finish on your fine furniture projects!
This top-of-the-line phenolic resin “short oil” varnish has a low
percentage of oil for a super durable finish. Perfect for tabletops
where a harder finish is required. "

I love Behlen's Rockhard Table Top Varnish, but if you're sanding for a repair
or a re-coat and you happen to break through from one coat into the next, it
*will* give you "witness lines". DAMHIKT. This is why I tend to prefer
lacquer type finishes where later coats always "melt" into prior coats.

Yeah, I hear that. I'm heavily into rubbing vs. spray finishes, and
the oils tend to melt and meld nicely.

http://www.waterlox.com/site/431/default.aspx
Waterlox is tung oil and phenolic resin.

"Waterlox vs. Urethane - Waterlox forms a protective finish that won’t
chip, peel, crack, or wrinkle. Waterlox never requires sanding for
adhesion purposes. So touch-ups can be done at any time without
sanding down to the bare wood. Waterlox gives you a naturally
beautiful, protective finish that never looks like a sheet of plastic"

Based on that description, it sounds like Waterlox isn't that much different
than Behlen's Rockhard... What do you perceive the differences to be Larry?

Night and day. Rockhard is a thick, shiny finish while Waterlox is a
thin, rubbing finish which allows the feel of the wood to come
through. I use the satin, BTW. While Waterlox -can- be applied
thickly, it has a whole different feel, even at that thickness. It
could be the quantity of oil in Waterlox. It's mostly tung oil.

I've never sanded an old, weathered, abused Waterlox finish, so I
don't know if it'd leave witness lines, but I've never seen a WL in
new finish application and smooth sanding between coats.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 11:45:59 -0500, the infamous Woody
scrawled the following:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Do both sides of the door in one hanging with these, Jeffo:
(****, I can't find them anywhere) Well, they're rotatable hooks with
an expandable 30mm disc which fit into the euro hole in the cabinet
doors so you can hang 'em for spraying. I could have sworn LVT had
them, and I can't find them on WWHardware, either. Go figure.

You mean these:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...nishing%20hook

Bingo! Thanks. I forgot to search the Rockler site. (slaps forehead)

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 09:42:31 -0500, the infamous Tom Watson
scrawled the following:

wrote:

Swingman has the Blue $50 version, the one I posted a link to first.
Not the Tek4 green version posted second.

I did a little reading about these gizmos last night and, despite
being a cheap bastage, I went for the Tek4 model. I already had their
Tek4 infrared thermometer and was impressed by its design and
performance.

The new level gizmoid is really cool. I've got at least two ceiling
projects I can use it on.

Coffered, arches, or what? Spill!

At this rate I might actually make it into the twenty first century
before I die...

nah.

Nah.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Fri, 4 Dec 2009 10:09:49 -0500, the infamous "Lee Michaels"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Jaques" reveals his true culinary tastes by admitting...

You bet. Don't forget Taco Bell (everything) and Jack in the Box
(that leetle Franch restaurant in town) tacos.

'Course when I build a Dagwood at home, it has an inch of lettuce and
or sprouts in it.

..., so I bought a hot dog at Costco to splurge some of the savings.

I read an article recently about the CEO of Costco. It turns out those hot
dogs are world famous. The do an incredible volume of those hot dogs and
pledge to always make them available for a reasonable price. And they are
extra big sellers overseas.

You are not alone in "splurging" on Costco hot dogs.

If you figure that they get you in there for the dollar and a half
dog, then you spend your normal _minimum_ of $100 on other crap there,
they make a killing by trapping you with the dog in the first place.
Excellent marketing ploy, wot?

That particular loss leader ALWAYS turns a profit for 'em.

--
Follow the path of the unsafe, independent thinker. Expose your ideas
to the dangers of controversy. Speak your mind and fear less the label
of 'crackpot' than the stigma of conformity. And on issues that seem
important to you, stand up and be counted at any cost.
-- Thomas J. Watson
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Fri, 04 Dec 2009 10:19:23 -0600, the infamous Steve Turner
scrawled the following:

it sounds like Waterlox isn't that much different
than Behlen's Rockhard... What do you perceive the differences to be Larry?

Night and day. Rockhard is a thick, shiny finish while Waterlox is a
thin, rubbing finish which allows the feel of the wood to come
through. I use the satin, BTW. While Waterlox -can- be applied
thickly, it has a whole different feel, even at that thickness. It
could be the quantity of oil in Waterlox. It's mostly tung oil.

Gotcha; thanks.

--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 2, 12:22*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:

and some food coloring

Ah, that's the ticket. Thanks for that one. Only wish you had told me
twenty years ago!

Posted to rec.woodworking

Default OT: How Cold was it ?

On Mon, 07 Dec 2009 12:40:55 -0600, the infamous Morris Dovey
scrawled the following:

Robatoy wrote:

I called Environment Canada's weather service today. Turns out we have
a little extra cool weather we can spare. So, we are sending our
Southern friends some of our finest coolness.

Enjoy!

Thank you too much! I'll remember you when tornado season comes around...

And we'll send SODS and pine bark beetles. I have frozen pipes this
morning and no water. I'm hoping they didn't burst first. It's up to
26F now, so I'm praying for a thaw.

--
To know what you prefer instead of humbly saying Amen
to what the world tells you you ought to prefer,
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Larry Jaques wrote:
And we'll send SODS and pine bark beetles. I have frozen pipes this
morning and no water. I'm hoping they didn't burst first. It's up to
26F now, so I'm praying for a thaw.

Wishin' for ya'...but you're in heat wave it seems; we just managed to
get above 10F at 1PM (but at least bright sun and the wind went down so
windchill is now 0F).

Posted to rec.woodworking

Robatoy wrote:

I called Environment Canada's weather service today. Turns out we have
a little extra cool weather we can spare. So, we are sending our
Southern friends some of our finest coolness.

Enjoy!

Thank you too much! I'll remember you when tornado season comes around...

And we'll send SODS and pine bark beetles. I have frozen pipes this
morning and no water. I'm hoping they didn't burst first. It's up to
26F now, so I'm praying for a thaw.

2 inches of very wet snow last night, raining and 39F right now, slush as
far as I can see. This was also the first of the season, here in
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

--
Froz...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Do both sides of the door in one hanging with these, Jeffo:
(****, I can't find them anywhere) Well, they're rotatable hooks with
an expandable 30mm disc which fit into the euro hole in the cabinet
doors so you can hang 'em for spraying. I could have sworn LVT had
them, and I can't find them on WWHardware, either. Go figure.

You mean these:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...nishing%20hook

Bingo! Thanks. I forgot to search the Rockler site. (slaps forehead)

Thanks for the tip guys. I should pass through here more often, you
pick up some handy info! I'll give them a try next time I'm finishing
a bunch of doors