Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker

Default Kitchen Cabinet Project Completed

Greetings,

I know it has been almost 9 months since I updated my webpage with my
kitchen project. But, I am thrilled to say that it has been completed and
the final pictures have been posted.

I have appreciated this group's feedback the past two years. I would be
pleased to hear your comments and take your questions. I learned a lot
during this long process, but the results are way beyond my expectations.

Dennis Slabaugh
Hobbyist woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

loutent

Hi Dennis,

Really a nice job! What material is the
countertops? They look like granite, but
I noticed that it is wrapped with wood
trim.

We re-did our 20 yr old kitchen last
year. It was a mess for a long while, so
I know what you went through. It feels
great to finish.

Lou

In article , Dennis Slabaugh,
Hobbyist Woodworker wrote:

Greetings,

I know it has been almost 9 months since I updated my webpage with my
kitchen project. But, I am thrilled to say that it has been completed and
the final pictures have been posted.

I have appreciated this group's feedback the past two years. I would be
pleased to hear your comments and take your questions. I learned a lot
during this long process, but the results are way beyond my expectations.

Dennis Slabaugh
Hobbyist woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

Edwin Pawlowski

"Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker" wrote in
message
I have appreciated this group's feedback the past two years. I would be
pleased to hear your comments and take your questions. I learned a lot
during this long process, but the results are way beyond my expectations.

Dennis Slabaugh
Hobbyist woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

Very nice work. You should be very proud.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

Christian

What did you used to "design" the cabinets? I will be starting my kitchen
shortly (if I can finish the friging outside siding).

.... Nice kitchen by the way :c)

Christian

I know it has been almost 9 months since I updated my webpage with my
kitchen project. But, I am thrilled to say that it has been completed and
the final pictures have been posted.

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker

First of all, thanks to all that have taken a moment to review my cabinet
project and thanks for all the great compliments. I know from your questions
that I need to post an overview article of the project from start to finish.
I will try and do that over the next week or so with links to more detailed
description of some of the steps and pitfalls for those that want more
detail.

But to answer a few of the questions off the bat:

The countertops are solid granite tile in a 12" by 12" format with a minimal
grout line. Spectracrete Modified epoxy grout (black) was used. The
underlayment is 3/4" outdoor grade plywood with 1/4" hardy backer board. The
edging was formed from 8/4 quartersawn white oak to match all the other
hardwood used in the project. It was attached with 2 3/4 inch screws into
3/8" holes plugged with ebony.

The entire kitchen design was done by me with old fashioned pencil and paper
on a drafting table. Much of the detail was worked out with each stage of
the construction as I usually employ in my work. This allows for flexibility
and I believe, more accuracy than trying to be bound by a ridged set of
plans and component production.

More later!

Dennis Slabaugh
Hobbyist Woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

Hobbyist Woodworker wrote:

Greetings,

I know it has been almost 9 months since I updated my webpage with my
kitchen project. But, I am thrilled to say that it has been completed and
the final pictures have been posted.

I have appreciated this group's feedback the past two years. I would be
pleased to hear your comments and take your questions. I learned a lot
during this long process, but the results are way beyond my expectations.

Dennis Slabaugh
Hobbyist woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

Andy

Very nice kitchen! Did you make the fridge door cover yourself? A
friend has a similar fridge setup, and is very worried that if it ever
dies, it will be ridiculously expensive to replace. Comments or
experience there?
Thanks,
Andy

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker

Hello Andy,

This is a Jennair model that comes ready to apply a panel. There is a
stainless steel frame (channel) around the door (both the fridge and
freezer) that is accessible by removing the top plate held on with screws.

The challenge is making a panel that will slide down from the top, captured
by the channels on the side rails, that fits perfectly. I cheated and it
worked great:

I divided the door width by two and cut two sheets of 1/4
material(quatersawn white oak plywood) to width and length. I fine-tuned the
width to get the panels to be almost tight at the center and smooth fitting
to the side channels. The trick here is to then apply the 1/4" hardwood
strips to mimic a paneled door like the cabinets. The one down the middle
joins the two pieces of plywood and the upper, lower, and side pieces are
butted to the frame, creating the "tongue" that rides in the channel slots.
After brad nailing the strips in place, I just slid it out, finished it and
now had a perfectly sized panel to slide into the frame again.

Replacing it would be the same as making the original. I have noticed
though, already the wood is taking on the oils from our hands when closing
it. We use the handle to open the door, but inevitably close it by pushing
it on the panel edge.

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Very nice kitchen! Did you make the fridge door cover yourself? A
friend has a similar fridge setup, and is very worried that if it ever
dies, it will be ridiculously expensive to replace. Comments or
experience there?
Thanks,
Andy

GrayFox

In article ,
"Paul O." wrote:

WOW! That is some kitchen. Congratulations on a fine job.
--

I'm in the process of building some wall cabinets. How does one go
about mounting them to the wall?