Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker

Hello Andy,

This is a Jennair model that comes ready to apply a panel. There is a
stainless steel frame (channel) around the door (both the fridge and
freezer) that is accessible by removing the top plate held on with screws.

The challenge is making a panel that will slide down from the top, captured
by the channels on the side rails, that fits perfectly. I cheated and it
worked great:

I divided the door width by two and cut two sheets of 1/4
material(quatersawn white oak plywood) to width and length. I fine-tuned the
width to get the panels to be almost tight at the center and smooth fitting
to the side channels. The trick here is to then apply the 1/4" hardwood
strips to mimic a paneled door like the cabinets. The one down the middle
joins the two pieces of plywood and the upper, lower, and side pieces are
butted to the frame, creating the "tongue" that rides in the channel slots.
After brad nailing the strips in place, I just slid it out, finished it and
now had a perfectly sized panel to slide into the frame again.

Replacing it would be the same as making the original. I have noticed
though, already the wood is taking on the oils from our hands when closing
it. We use the handle to open the door, but inevitably close it by pushing
it on the panel edge.

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker
www.woodworkinghobby.com

"Andy" wrote in message
oups.com...
Very nice kitchen! Did you make the fridge door cover yourself? A
friend has a similar fridge setup, and is very worried that if it ever
dies, it will be ridiculously expensive to replace. Comments or
experience there?
Thanks,
Andy