Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Kitchen Project - team effort

Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets two
months _before_ the foundation is poured)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:
Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets two
months _before_ the foundation is poured)

The only reason the trim guys exist is to tidy up after the rough
carpenters. ;-) Seriously, a great looking job.
mahalo,
jo4hn
Posted to rec.woodworking

"jo4hn" wrote in message
Swingman wrote:
Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong

way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets

two
months _before_ the foundation is poured)

The only reason the trim guys exist is to tidy up after the rough
carpenters. ;-) Seriously, a great looking job.
mahalo,
jo4hn

Hehe ... thanks!

Back when I was a kid, helping to build houses and barns, it was the framers
and carpenters who worked to "1/8" in 8' " and the saying was: "Don't worry,
the trim guys will fix it".

Now, with "trim carpenters", many who never saw a piece of wood before they
got here, the mantra is: ˇNo se preocupe, los pintores lo fijará!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 12:52*pm, "Swingman" wrote:
Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets two
months _before_ the foundation is poured)

It is amazing how much countertop and cabinetry $ 1500.00 will buy
these days, eh? :-)

Seriously though, I see a LOT of work there.... and it looks great! I
could use you guys up here. The guys who that kind of quality here,
are booking into September already. Did you buy the doors? Do you
always cut the kick out of the gables?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Bonehenge (B A R R Y)" wrote in message
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:52:28 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

Nice!

No Tundra pictures?

LOL, the Tundra was dirty.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong
way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets
two
months _before_ the foundation is poured)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Hey, Those pull out shelves under the island, in particular the ones behind
the middle doors, I bet you can't pull both sides out once the door pulls
are mounted. :~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:52:28 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

Beautiful. Kitchen drawers with real wood sides and dovetails? Nice.

I particularly like the built out soffit and double crown on the
uppers. Seems like everyone around here is just leaving the tops open
the better to collect a lot of dust.

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong way!

I build habitat houses, usually work on the framing crew, then come
back with another guy (who also frames) to finish out inside. We
have a lot of fun discussing the complete lack of competence shown by
the framing crew.

Frank
Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets two
months _before_ the foundation is poured)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Frank Boettcher" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 11:52:28 -0600, "Swingman" wrote:

Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

Beautiful. Kitchen drawers with real wood sides and dovetails? Nice.

Real Maple and DT's, with under mount slides that stop the drawer just
before it slams shut and then gently and quietly pulls the drawer closed. I
almost wore one out playing with it. ;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote

Hey, Those pull out shelves under the island, in particular the ones

behind
the middle doors, I bet you can't pull both sides out once the door pulls
are mounted. :~)

How much ... bottle of "Texas Red" and a box of BlueBell "Sugar Free"
popsicles for steeping? You're on!

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Swingman wrote:

Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong
way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets
two months _before_ the foundation is poured)

Ya'll do some good work!

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote:

Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

Next thing I know you guys are going to want to do a galley on a boatG.

Nice job.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 8, 7:44*pm, "Lew Hodgett" wrote:
"Swingman" wrote:
Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

Next thing I know you guys are going to want to do a galley on a boatG.

FIRST the canting keel.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I like them, especially the back piece of wood on the cabinet by the door
and that everything pulls out. I'm slowly changing all of mine over to pull
outs before I get to old.

--
Mike
Watch for the bounce.
"Swingman" wrote in message
Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong
way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets
two
months _before_ the foundation is poured)

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"asmurff" wrote in message
I like them, especially the back piece of wood on the cabinet by the door
and that everything pulls out. I'm slowly changing all of mine over to

pull
outs before I get to old.

Glad you liked the wooden "backsplash" on the "kitchen desk cabinet". I've
been considering doing that for sometime and finally got the opportunity to
design one and actually do it.

It's expected around here these days for shelves to be pull-outs, so there
are 12 pull outs in the base cabinets altogether in that kitchen, plus the
19 drawers makes for a lot of drawer slides.

The slides for the shelf pull-outs are KV 8400 full extension, and the
drawer slides are Hittich Quadro V6 21 full extension, with a self closing
feature.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
Swingman wrote:

Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong
way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets
two months _before_ the foundation is poured)

Ya'll do some good work!

Amen to that. Nicely laid out,
beautifully executed. I'd hire you guys
in a minute if you were close.

Tanus

Posted to rec.woodworking

The cabinets I had put into our family room all have pullouts and I love
them even now. For someone like me who stands a better than even chance of
eventually being wheelchair bound they are fantastic.

--
"Swingman" wrote in message
"asmurff" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"asmurff" wrote in message
[...]

do you expect to have the countertop installers seal the bottom edge of the
backsplash? i have wine cabinets sitting on top of my counters, and have a
heck of a time preventing water wicking up, causing finish lifting.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie" wrote \

do you expect to have the countertop installers seal the bottom edge of
the backsplash? i have wine cabinets sitting on top of my counters, and
have a heck of a time preventing water wicking up, causing finish lifting.

Not really a "backsplash", more along the lines of a wooden 'letter rack'
for the kitchen "desk", sitting on top of polished granite, and relatively
removed from any source of moisture that would "wick". Outright spills
shouldn't be more of a problem then they would be under normal
circumstances, if I understand you correctly?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
"charlie" wrote \

do you expect to have the countertop installers seal the bottom edge of
the backsplash? i have wine cabinets sitting on top of my counters, and
have a heck of a time preventing water wicking up, causing finish
lifting.

Not really a "backsplash", more along the lines of a wooden 'letter rack'
for the kitchen "desk", sitting on top of polished granite, and relatively
removed from any source of moisture that would "wick". Outright spills
shouldn't be more of a problem then they would be under normal
circumstances, if I understand you correctly?

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/8/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

well, our wine rack cabinet is about 18" to the left of the sink. normal
splashes get sucked under the rack pretty quickly and are impossible to wipe
up fast enough since it's not a perfect seal. since the endgrain of the
cabinet is against the countertop, water gets wicked up eventually over the
years. i had to run a bead of silicone along the bottom edge, which isn't
that attractive.

if the bottom edge of the rack is against the countertop and not sealed
against water intrusion or raised up off the countertop, i'd expect that the
same thing would happen to this install.

regards
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to rec.woodworking

Down in the lower pictures, you show a line of base
cabinets going from "about" 24" deep down to a really narrow
set that'a maybe 12". What's up with that ?

Swingman wrote:

Here's one Leon and I teamed up on that is now ready to turn over to the
backsplash/tile subcontractor:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/Projects16.htm

We'd like to particularly thank the framing crew for making the window
opening over the sink oversize, then moving the window 4" ... the wrong way!

Other than that ...

(What the hell ... that's what you get for building the kitchen cabinets two
months _before_ the foundation is poured)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Purty-mus.....

Who did the finish ???

I just designs and builds 'em, Bubba ... if you ever catch this cabinetmaker
finishing kitchen cabinets, under any circumstances, bend over and kiss your
ass goodbye cuz the world is fixing to come to an end!

As always, my paint contractor of long standing. He sprays NC lacquer (while
I get the hell-outta-Dodge) on the stained trim/crown molding/etc, and might
as well do the kitchen cabinets at the same time.

One "convenience" I ain't gonna do without ...I so much as look at a can of
lacquer and get a migraine of epic proportions/duration.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote

Down in the lower pictures, you show a line of base
cabinets going from "about" 24" deep down to a really narrow
set that'a maybe 12". What's up with that ?

Indeed ... a 12" deep base cabinet, which perfectly complements the narrow
serving hallway between the kitchen and the formal dining room.

... and I just love building angles "transition" cabinets. AAMOF, I love it
so much I built one that goes the wrong way three years ago and still
haven't built a "mirror image" kitchen for it to go in.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie" wrote in message
well, our wine rack cabinet is about 18" to the left of the sink. normal
splashes get sucked under the rack pretty quickly and are impossible to
wipe up fast enough since it's not a perfect seal. since the endgrain of
the cabinet is against the countertop, water gets wicked up eventually
over the years. i had to run a bead of silicone along the bottom edge,
which isn't that attractive.

Any possibility of adding thin feet to the bottoms?

Posted to rec.woodworking

"charlie" wrote

if the bottom edge of the rack is against the countertop and not sealed
against water intrusion or raised up off the countertop, i'd expect that

the
same thing would happen to this install.

I'd expect not, mainly due to location, but having also built/installed a
good many appliance garages on countertops to foresee this particular
kitchen desktop "fixture" suffering a similar problem. Putting it another
way ... having also built this house, along with many others, there are a
multitude of other things I would lose sleep over first.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

Now I thought you made a comment about
a HVLP turbine system back a week or two ago
when I was whining about my lack of finishing ability.

You know you want one don't you ???

Swingman wrote:

I just designs and builds 'em, Bubba ... if you ever catch this cabinetmaker
finishing kitchen cabinets, under any circumstances, bend over and kiss your
ass goodbye cuz the world is fixing to come to an end!

As always, my paint contractor of long standing. He sprays NC lacquer (while
I get the hell-outta-Dodge) on the stained trim/crown molding/etc, and might
as well do the kitchen cabinets at the same time.

One "convenience" I ain't gonna do without ...I so much as look at a can of
lacquer and get a migraine of epic proportions/duration.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Pat Barber" wrote in message
Now I thought you made a comment about
a HVLP turbine system back a week or two ago
when I was whining about my lack of finishing ability.

You know you want one don't you ???

Oh yeah! ... but for my own personal projects, not for spraying kitchen
cabinets in new construction where I pay the same square foot painting costs
whether the painting contractor finishes the kitchen cabinets along with
everything else, or not.

AAMOF, and as I've actually noticed myself getting older these past couple
of years, I've been considering not doing any more kitchens in the houses I
build, mainly due to the increase in aches and pains coupled with the time
it takes away from management tasks, but it is the only alternative to the
lousy workmanship/materials and "give a ****" attitude in most other kitchen
cabinet choices.

IOW, I have continued to do it because it _personally_ feels good to know
that there is at least something in one of my new home construction projects
these days that actually has an element of "pride of workmanship" attached
to it ... and goodness knows that is an almost extinct _quality_, literally.

Besides, doing so also affords a rare privilege to work with folks like
Leon, a craftsman in the finest sense of the word who has "pride of
workmanship" infused in his bones, an almost totally extinct trait in the
industry today.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

"charlie" wrote in message
well, our wine rack cabinet is about 18" to the left of the sink. normal
splashes get sucked under the rack pretty quickly and are impossible to
wipe up fast enough since it's not a perfect seal. since the endgrain of
the cabinet is against the countertop, water gets wicked up eventually
over the years. i had to run a bead of silicone along the bottom edge,
which isn't that attractive.

Any possibility of adding thin feet to the bottoms?

i thought of that. unfortunately, it's installed flush up against the soffet
above it and tied into a lightbridge over the sink. it'd also allow an
accumulation of sink gunk that it would be nigh impossible to clean. if i
could train swmbo to not have to turn on the water full blast and splashing
all over the counter and backsplash...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 11:03*am, "Swingman" wrote:

IOW, I have continued to do it because it _personally_ feels good to know
that there is at least something in one of my new home construction projects
these days that actually has an element of "pride of workmanship" attached
to it ... and goodness knows that is an almost extinct _quality_, literally.

I ask people about the houses they have built/bought. Invariably, the
focus is always on the quality of the kitchen.
It is a very important component when people evaluate "the happiness
with their new abode."

And yet... the kitchen is where the spec builders try their damnest to
save a buck. How many times have I walked into a new home and
appreciated the lay-out, the location, the windows, the view.. and
then be stopped dead in my tracks to do a vaudeville-version of a
triple-take when I see the piece-of-**** kitchen they stuck in there
at the end.

Many times, it is a matter of the home-owner walking through the place
and following the suggestions of the trim carpenters...."Oh yes, I
would LOVE a bit more substantial base-board....yessss some ceiling
fans would be nice...oh please wire in the speaker-wires......" Then..
by the time the closing date rears its inevitable, ugly head, they're
all out of money... "best we back off on the kitchen..".."Rob, isn't
there ANYTHING you can do on the price of that Quartz?"

At this point my reply is usually preceded by:
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...flol_seal1.jpg

seriously...

If I hadn't been doing this for as long as I have, I would have
thought I'd be accustomed to this way of thinking. But it never stops
to amaze me what pieces of **** that are sold as kitchens. So, it is a
pleasure to see a nice piece, like Karl's and Leon's.... even though
NEITHER have answered my question if they DO cut out their kicks from
their gables or if they use a separate kick....or even if they make
their own doors (if they did, I'd be interested to know how they
justified the extra work as there are many great door-makers.)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote

pleasure to see a nice piece, like Karl's and Leon's.... even though
NEITHER have answered my question if they DO cut out their kicks from
their gables or if they use a separate kick

Sorry, didn't see that post, apparently.

The cabinets are made with built-in kicks. I usually put one or two
"toe-kick drawers" in also ... this kitchen only had one of those, which is
shown open, to the left of the stove, in one of the pictures, IIRC.

.....or even if they make
their own doors (if they did, I'd be interested to know how they
justified the extra work as there are many great door-makers.)

Doors ... how times have changed, eh?

For a one or two off kitchen cabinet job, I'll do them myself.

For an entire set of "kitchen cabinets in new residential construction" I've
learned by experience that it is a waste of time/money to fabricate the
doors/drawer fronts myself.

Initially I was not of that mind and tried varying combinations of doing the
cut list/panel glue-ups, subbing out the milling, providing the wood and
doing the final assembly, etc; then finally got smart and just let a shop
that does nothing but doors do the whole door/drawer front enchilada ... and
at a far cheaper price than I could pay myself to do it.

Drawers is a different story.

Stubbornly drawn the line in this reasoning at drawers. Although the same
economics probably apply, I have yet to sub that task out, and I'll probably
quit before it comes to that. Besides, drawers are one of the few
opportunities I get to work with hard maple, a wood I really enjoy working
with.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mar 11, 4:29*pm, "Swingman" wrote:

For a one or two off *kitchen cabinet job, I'll do them myself.

I like buying them. That way, when one of them warps to the point
that one corner lifts off the frame by an inch... I got somebody to
call. *S*

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Robatoy" wrote in message
On Mar 11, 4:29 pm, "Swingman" wrote:

For a one or two off kitchen cabinet job, I'll do them myself.

I like buying them. That way, when one of them warps to the point
that one corner lifts off the frame by an inch... I got somebody to
call. *S*

I still build my kitchen doors. ;~) In fact many of my kitchen face lifts
are simply new doors and drawers.