Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Hearing Protection

On Fri, 27 Nov 2009 22:00:00 -0500, "Bill"
wrote:

Trying to be considerate, I tried to browse old posts on my usenet server
related to this topic, and I noticed that the product

Peltor H10A Professional Noise Canceling Earmuff

was used by some. It seems "healthy" to me not to have everything
completely muted, and being able to hear voices at normal voices would be a
plus (though I'm not sure how well this product would help satisfy either of
those goals).

Is the one above a "good, safe choice"? Any other models you might
recommend I consider? I suppose if I had a pair, I might start wearing
them when I mow the lawn, though that idea hadn't occurred to me before.

Thank you,
Bill

There are a number of products on the market that allow you to hear
normal level noise but block louder noises.

If you are a subscriber to Fine Woodworking's website, you can view
this: http://www.finewoodworking.com/fwnpdf/011189066.pdf

Do you prefer muffs or plugs? Here's a basic earmuff that attenuates
loud noises but lets conversation through:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...18&cat=1,42207

Here's an over the ear plug option:
http://www.amazon.com/SensGard-Revol.../dp/B00149DR5G

Here is a plug that reduces volume but lets conversation through
http://www.hearinghealthhouse.com/pr...2d2c6b9e30dab6