Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Shipping Charges

"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message
news:241120092152219627%dave@N_O_T_T_H_I_Sbalderst one.ca...
In article , Mark &
Juanita wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 11:46:47 -0600, the infamous "Leon"
scrawled the following:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

In most cases, we'd be spending that time posting in newsgroups which
produces no income. :-)

Well actually I have cultivated several customers from this group.

I did, too, years back. I have a whole stable of Knight planes as a
result of one. I think his website is 3 gens beyond mine now.

I'll have to do that again this year, huh?

Haven't seen Steve Knight on here in ages. Just took a look at his web
page, looks like he is still going strong.

I've got a custom jack plane he built for me, as well as one of his
beta scrub planes.

Good to see he's still going strong. His kits are tempting, especially
given the quality of his irons.

http://knight-toolworks.com/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009 21:52:21 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone
scrawled the following:

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

In most cases, we'd be spending that time posting in newsgroups which
produces no income. :-)

Well actually I have cultivated several customers from this group.

I did, too, years back. I have a whole stable of Knight planes as a
result of one. I think his website is 3 gens beyond mine now.

I'll have to do that again this year, huh?

Haven't seen Steve Knight on here in ages. Just took a look at his web
page, looks like he is still going strong.

I've got a custom jack plane he built for me, as well as one of his
beta scrub planes.

Good to see he's still going strong. His kits are tempting, especially
given the quality of his irons.

Ayup, them arn is sharp and beefy bastids, they is.

Luigi's in Portland. Hey, WeeGee, been by Steve's place yet?

--
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 6:31*am, Gerald Ross wrote:
Charlie Self wrote:

Our new carrier took about a year to set the route up to her needs,
but she is still far from making it home for a late lunch. Still, in
her short time, she's gone from delivering our mail at anywhere from 2
p.m. to 3:30 p.m. to getting it here by 1:45 a.m. most days.

So you can read the mail before breakfast! *Have another cup of
coffee, Charlie. :)

Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

It's a damned poor mind that can only
think of one way to spell a word.

The joys of Uncle Arthur..arthritis, in real terms. That was supposed
to be 11:45.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 24, 2:15*pm, Dave Balderstone
wrote:
In article , Larry Jaques

wrote:
Priced 'em on eBay? *It's a whole 'nother world there. *I've found
9x12" bubble envelopes at Walgreens at 3/$1 on sale, too.

I was shopping locally for a Hoya R72 IR filter for my camera... Quoted
between $98 and $140 canuckbux.

Got one from a camera shop somewhere in Montana via eBay for $40.31
Canadian, shipping in.

I did something similar for an 82mm UV filter I needed. Those things
are not cheap, but I got one for $45 delivered, instead of $110 from
B&H. There's no place locally to buy that size filter...I think I
could have gotten it in Charlottesville, which is about 2-1/2 hours
each way.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"-MIKE-" wrote in message

In most cases, we'd be spending that time posting in newsgroups which
produces no income. :-)

Well actually I have cultivated several customers from this group.

I did, too, years back. I have a whole stable of Knight planes as a
result of one. I think his website is 3 gens beyond mine now.

I'll have to do that again this year, huh?

So did I. I ended up with 3 planes and eventually selling him well over
1,000 mouth blocks. He does not use mouth blocks anymore. :~(

Posted to rec.woodworking

Have you noticed that most of the woodworking supply companies have
quietly changed over to shipping charges being based on how much you
pay for rather than how much it weighs. This used to be a hallmark of
bottom feeders such as JC Whitney and Harbor Freight.

I first really noticed it when I ordered a couple of small gifts for
my grandson from Lee Valley. Shipping was $11.50. The order weighed 14
oz including packaging.

I live out in the hinterland and everything comes by FedEx or UPS.
Even the nearest Lowe's is 40 miles away. This really hurts.
Gerald Ross

I feel your pain. Have you noticed that shipping costs have gone up?

I took a 6"x6"x7" box weighing a pound over to the UPS store and they
told me, to ship it two states away, would cost me $18. WTH?? I asked
why so much and they started spouting a list of fees like gas fees and
rural fees, etc. Rural I said? This isn't a rural address, it's next
to a huge mall in the heart of town!I told the UPS person I won't be
using them anymore and recommending the same to everyone else. With
those charges, especially in this economy, they're asking to get hurt.

Needless to say I didn't use UPS. Instead I got my package shipped via
Fed Ex for $5.61, including insurance. It arrived in two days.

I used to do shipping and receiving for a living and am frankly
appalled at the overcharges for average people to ship. If shipping
costs continue to rise, there will be no point in sending gifts. Be
better to send money or wait till you can get together. I'd rather
give that $18 as a money gift than waste it on shipping.

`Casper
Posted to rec.woodworking

I shipped two pallets containing about 1400 pounds each of steel targets.
They went out by Fed Ex ground. I think truck to airport, airport by
truck to site in mountains. Cheaper than truck lines by several hundred
dollars.

Martin

Casper wrote:
[...]

OT - The Jury is in and the charges are out! RAM³ Metalworking 4 July 3rd 08 04:54 AM
ScottishPower gas charges mike UK diy 14 December 10th 05 12:04 PM
Water charges ben UK diy 11 September 6th 05 07:21 PM
Shipping and Handling Charges? [email protected] Woodturning 34 July 23rd 05 01:13 AM
rca repair charges [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 July 16th 05 11:31 PM