Posted to uk.d-i-y
mike

Default ScottishPower gas charges

Hi everyone
I got my gas bill today and it makes for some instresting
reading, If I am right. This this a way to bill all customers a pound
or two more on their bill.
My bill reads

Start date 05/09/05 meter reading 4594(actual read)
end date 16/10/05 meter reading 4703( estimted)
units used 109 @1.554 makes £18.91 for 42 days

Then the price goes up

start date 17/10/05 meter reading4703 (estimated)
end date 04/12/05 meter reading 4927 (actual read)
units used 224 @1.764 makes £44.12 for 49 days

My point is I know that I used 333 units over the total 91 days but not
that my gas
use almost doubled after the price rise. Seeing that at the date of
the change over point for the price rise ,Scottish Power Manweb had no
ideal how much gas I have
really used until my meter was read on the 04/12/05. In other words I
think I used more gas at the lower price and less gas at the higher
price.

Mike Cole

Posted to uk.d-i-y
EricP

On 9 Dec 2005 09:13:58 -0800, "mike" wrote:

[...]

Tell them you have been plotting the daily use of your gas and just
happen to have the exact meter reading for that day as a result.
)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Matt

On 9 Dec 2005 09:13:58 -0800, "mike" wrote:

My point is I know that I used 333 units over the total 91 days but not
that my gas
use almost doubled after the price rise. Seeing that at the date of
the change over point for the price rise ,Scottish Power Manweb had no
ideal how much gas I have
really used until my meter was read on the 04/12/05. In other words I
think I used more gas at the lower price and less gas at the higher
price.

Write back and dispute the bill, tell them that the house has been
unoccupied from 17/10 - 4/12

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Pearson

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
My point is I know that I used 333 units over the total 91 days but not
that my gas
use almost doubled after the price rise. Seeing that at the date of
the change over point for the price rise ,Scottish Power Manweb had no
ideal how much gas I have
really used until my meter was read on the 04/12/05. In other words I
think I used more gas at the lower price and less gas at the higher
price.

Mike Cole

I'd contact the regulator - I'm sure they would take a very dim view of this
sort of underhand practice!
Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Jonathan Pearson wrote:
"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
My point is I know that I used 333 units over the total 91 days but
not that my gas
use almost doubled after the price rise. Seeing that at the date of
the change over point for the price rise ,Scottish Power Manweb had
no ideal how much gas I have
really used until my meter was read on the 04/12/05. In other words I
think I used more gas at the lower price and less gas at the higher
price.

Mike Cole

I'd contact the regulator - I'm sure they would take a very dim view
of this sort of underhand practice!
Jon

It was an estimation, and probably by someone who can't add up, the correct
standing bill will be formalised when he submits his own reading.

This is why I like using prepayment meters...save the hassle of missing the
meter reader and getting in touch with the supplier and recieving paperwork
--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

It was an estimation, and probably by someone who can't add up, the
correct standing bill will be formalised when he submits his own
reading.

That's not what he said. The start and end of the quarter were *actual*
readings. What was estimated was the reading on the date when the price went
up part-way through the quarter. OP claims (but probably has no direct
evidence) that the actual reading on that date would have been higher than
the estimate - so that more of the quarter's consumption should have been
charged at the old lower price and less at the new higher price.

The fairest way to make an estimate may be pro-rata with number of days -
but that wouldn't really work in the spring when consumption is going down
with time.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Wade

Jonathan Pearson wrote:

I'd contact the regulator - I'm sure they would take a very dim view of this
sort of underhand practice!

Why is it underhand? Price change readings are almost always estimated;
it's perfectly standard industry practice. To demonstrate malpractice
you'd have to show that the estimating algorithm being used was unfair.

Over the dates given by the OP, it was very much colder during the
second period then during the first, so it's entirely plausible that the
daily gas consumption would be much higher during the second period.
But it's just not worth getting worked up about, because any error only
applies to the difference between the old and new prices. I calculated,
roughly, that if the OP had had an even rate of consumption, the bill
would have been about £1.40 less, even after adding 5% VAT.

In any case, IME, if you can supply your own more accurate (and
plausible) figure, it will be accepted.

Oh, and the OP seems to have a metric meter.

--
Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steven Briggs

In message , Set Square
writes
The3rd Earl Of Derby wrote:

It was an estimation, and probably by someone who can't add up, the
correct standing bill will be formalised when he submits his own
reading.

That's not what he said. The start and end of the quarter were *actual*
readings. What was estimated was the reading on the date when the price went
up part-way through the quarter. OP claims (but probably has no direct
evidence) that the actual reading on that date would have been higher than
the estimate - so that more of the quarter's consumption should have been
charged at the old lower price and less at the new higher price.

The fairest way to make an estimate may be pro-rata with number of days -
but that wouldn't really work in the spring when consumption is going down
with time.

Or in this case the autumn quarter, with consumption rising through
October and into November.
TBH, I think the OP's bill was fine, I would expect mid-October-November
consumption to be at least twice that of September-mid-October.

--
steve
Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jonathan Pearson

Andy Wade wrote:
Jonathan Pearson wrote:

[...]

Rubbish!!!

Scottish power has 5million customers, hence if everyone is chraged an extra
£1.40, then that makes them an additional £7400,000 for trying it on -
hopefully the regulator will throw the book at them!

Jon

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Colin Wilson

Scottish power has 5million customers, hence if everyone is chraged an extra
£1.40, then that makes them an additional £7400,000 for trying it on -
hopefully the regulator will throw the book at them!

The chief exec now gets over £1M per year. Customers need to be milked
a little every now and then :-p

--
Please add the word "newsgroup" in the subject line of personal emails
**** My email address includes "ngspamtrap" and " ****

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Steven Briggs wrote:

The fairest way to make an estimate may be pro-rata with number of
days - but that wouldn't really work in the spring when consumption
is going down with time.

Or in this case the autumn quarter, with consumption rising through
October and into November.
TBH, I think the OP's bill was fine, I would expect
mid-October-November consumption to be at least twice that of
September-mid-October.

Quite. The point which I was trying to make - maybe not too
successfully(!) - was that if a price increase had occurred in the spring
quarter, where the daily consumption was going *down*, the OP would have
objected to an estimate based on a flat rate of consumption. But he would
have accepted a flat rate in the autumn when consumption is rising. He can't
have it both ways!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

"mike" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi everyone
I got my gas bill today and it makes for some instresting
reading, If I am right. This this a way to bill all customers a pound
or two more on their bill.
My bill reads

Start date 05/09/05 meter reading 4594(actual read)
end date 16/10/05 meter reading 4703( estimted)
units used 109 @1.554 makes £18.91 for 42 days

Then the price goes up

start date 17/10/05 meter reading4703 (estimated)
end date 04/12/05 meter reading 4927 (actual read)
units used 224 @1.764 makes £44.12 for 49 days

My point is I know that I used 333 units over the total 91 days but not
that my gas use almost doubled after the price rise. Seeing that at the date
of
the change over point for the price rise, Scottish Power Manweb had no
idea how much gas I have really used until my meter was read on the
04/12/05.
In other words I think I used more gas at the lower price and less gas at
the higher
price.

Mike Cole

SP maths do look inflationary but surely the second period would have been a
bit
colder.
IMO, as long as the gas provider has a trustworthy (meter staff) reading
once a
year, can be whenever, its accountants are happy.
As you regret being fleeced for gas by SP, you ought to move away to
taking up a dual-fuel direct-debit plan with nPower promising an annual
payback. They apparently guarantee no rises nor fuel-price hikes till 2007.
And yet these passed-on bulk price rises would affect the whole of Europe's
energy customers. We're happy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim Gregory

"Jim Gregory" wrote in message
"mike" wrote in message
[...]

Oops!
I was so wrong about no price rises! Just heard today from nPower about
their -new- prices for credit customers as from 1 Jan 2006 ...
Elect Standard - over 728 kWh pa - will charge @ 7.85p per kWh unit (if
under, @ 15.18p)
Gas Standard - over 4572 kWh pa - will charge @ 1.80p per kWh unit (if
under, @ 3.45p)
So if you use less energy than index, then it's nearly double the price.
all prices excluding VAT
Annual discount for monthly Direct Debit dual-fuel increased to £60.
How does this compare with next year's Scottish Power ManWeb prices?
Jim

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Set Square

Jim Gregory wrote:

Oops!
I was so wrong about no price rises! Just heard today from nPower
about their -new- prices for credit customers as from 1 Jan 2006 ...
Elect Standard - over 728 kWh pa - will charge @ 7.85p per kWh unit
(if under, @ 15.18p)
Gas Standard - over 4572 kWh pa - will charge @ 1.80p per kWh unit
(if under, @ 3.45p)
So if you use less energy than index, then it's nearly double the
price. all prices excluding VAT
Annual discount for monthly Direct Debit dual-fuel increased to £60.
How does this compare with next year's Scottish Power ManWeb prices?
Jim

Don't know about the latest prices, but I'm on a Scottish Power tariff which
has frozen prices until the end of 2006. I am paying:
Gas: 1.326p per kWh and a standing charge of 56.34pa
Electricity: 4.82p per kWh and a standing charge of 63.24pa

These prices are *inclusive* of 5% VAT, and subject to a total annual dual
fuel/on-line discount of 10.50pa

The equivalent Npower prices from above (inc of VAT, and calculating
effecting standing charges a
Gas 1.89p + 79.21pa
Electricity: 8.24 + 56.03pa

I know which I'd rather have!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Set Square wrote:
Jim Gregory wrote:

[...]

New prices for Npower is Quarterly...
Elect : inc of vat £31.02
at £7.96
Gas : inc of vat £17.41
at £2.15

--
Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Bye bye international call charges! [email protected] UK diy 10 September 11th 05 10:28 PM
Shipping and Handling Charges? [email protected] Woodturning 34 July 23rd 05 01:13 AM
rca repair charges [email protected] Electronics Repair 16 July 16th 05 11:31 PM
Credit card charges keith_765 UK diy 0 June 27th 05 09:08 AM
OT-: Kerry exposed Gunner Metalworking 38 March 17th 04 03:11 AM