Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Aussie English can be a ******* #1

Upscale suggested a what is it? type competition on the meaning of Aussie
slang, so I thought I'd give it a go. The winner gets a years supply of hens
teeth.

......... a bit of a preamble.
The origins of Australian slang are much argued about. Some would have it
that it is a direct offshoot from cockney rhyming slang, others say it
developed here around the beginning of last century. Much of it is vulgar
and deliberately so. The English landed gentry were greatly offended by much
of it, which pleased the Aussies no end. The word ******* is probably the
most common and confusing. Depending on context and inflection, it can have
many different meanings. Most are not intended to be offensive. The English
however, found it's use highly offensive in any context, which suited us
just fine.
An example of a an exchange that famously occurred during a test cricket
match between England and Australia in the 1930's: The English captain
walked into the Australian dressing rooms after the match and complained
that one of the Australians had called him a *******.
The Australian captain turned to his players and said "all right, which one
of you *******s called this ******* a *******?"
It's used all over Australia, but just to make it more confusing, it's usage
can differ state by state. My good wife hails from NSW, I'm a Western
Australian and she has never heard some expressions that were commonly used
here in W.A. To make it nearly impossible, some words which are spelled and
pronounced the same, can have entirely different meanings. It's also
continuously added to, so some of it arose in recent times. Slang was seldom
used by women.

Try this on for size. What is the conversation all about?

"The missus says she saw a Joe Blake. Thought I'd go take a captain."
"Do you need a hand?"
"Nah. I've got me bowyangs and I'll give it a burl with the bluey. She'll be
apples"

diggerop : )

Posted to rec.woodworking

"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message

Try this on for size. What is the conversation all about?

"The missus says she saw a Joe Blake. Thought I'd go take a captain."
"Do you need a hand?"
"Nah. I've got me bowyangs and I'll give it a burl with the bluey. She'll
be apples"

diggerop : )

Wife saw a snake
bowyangs are boot protectors or leathers
Chase with the dog? and then she'll be happy

Am I close?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 10:21*pm, "diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote:
[...]

I'll print this out and study it in the thunder box.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message

Try this on for size. What is the conversation all about?

"The missus says she saw a Joe Blake. Thought I'd go take a captain."
"Do you need a hand?"
"Nah. I've got me bowyangs and I'll give it a burl with the bluey. She'll
be apples"

diggerop : )

Wife saw a snake
bowyangs are boot protectors or leathers
Chase with the dog? and then she'll be happy

Am I close?

That was quick.

You got the gist of it, though not exactly. Close enough for me : )
Hens teeth on their way as soon as I get them from the supplier.

Joe Blake = snake
Take a captain = Captain Cook = take a look
Bowyangs = leather straps or often string, used to tie moleskins (Heavy
cotton trousers) to the tops of a man's boot, purpose being to keep grass
seeds out of his boots and socks and also make it more difficult for a snake
to strike the skin of the leg.
Bluey = blue heeler (Australian cattle dog. ) Very fast and protective dogs.
Good ones can grab a snake by the back of the neck and kill it.
She'll be apples = Nothing to do with the wife, - used as a reply to his
mates query if he'd like a hand, it means "no thanks, I'll be fine on my
own."

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Nov 11, 8:30 pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message

Try this on for size. What is the conversation all about?

"The missus says she saw a Joe Blake. Thought I'd go take a captain."
"Do you need a hand?"
"Nah. I've got me bowyangs and I'll give it a burl with the bluey. She'll
be apples"

diggerop : )

Wife saw a snake
bowyangs are boot protectors or leathers
Chase with the dog? and then she'll be happy

Am I close?

Aussie Haiku? Cool. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Nov 11, 7:46*pm, Robatoy wrote:
[...]

From the Anti FAQ:

This newsgroup is about USA woodworking and maybe its northern
sycophantic satellite. God Bless America! It's rec.WOODworking, not
rec.TIMBERworking! You guys went downhill when you joined up with the
other Euro-idiots and went with that inane metric system. Serves you
right you gotta pay double for the tools we get for real cheap in the
good ole USA. Anyways, who wants to get buzzed with a 240-volt piece
of euro junk? Buy American! Besides, what kind of woodworking can you
do without Home Despot?

Same goes for drunken Ozzies (as if there were any other kind, I know
it's redundant), and inny othirs who walk upside down. Sheesh,
butchering all that nice jarrah, silky oak & jummywood with those pot
metal Triton POS.

Message for Strines: This newsgroup uses the Queen's English (or at
least the *******ised seppo version). If you want to post in your
weird lingo, m8, go create your own newsgroup, m8. PS: I don't care if
you get ****ed off that I stuck you with the whingeing poms, y'all
sound alike anyhoo.

So there!

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:21:06 +0800, "diggerop" toobusy@themoment
wrote:

slang, so I thought I'd give it a go. The winner gets a years supply of hens
teeth.

The only thing I can translate out of this is that hens don't have
teeth, so the winner gets nothing.

As to your Joe Blake test, I'm at a loss from the get go. Guess I need
some cultural immersion.
Posted to rec.woodworking
Max Max is offline

"diggerop" wrote

The origins of Australian slang are much argued about. Some would have it
that it is a direct offshoot from cockney rhyming slang, others say it
developed here around the beginning of last century. Much of it is vulgar
Try this on for size. What is the conversation all about?

"The missus says she saw a Joe Blake. Thought I'd go take a captain."
"Do you need a hand?"
"Nah. I've got me bowyangs and I'll give it a burl with the bluey. She'll
be apples"

diggerop : )

I'm taking it to the library and while I'm sitting on the throne I'll see if
I can dig it.

Max

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message

(Ask me about the time we pretty well wrecked the only pub open in Port
Hedland and ended up in gaol for the night (basically a chain link fenced,
dog kennel) ... way before you could get there, easily, any other way than
by boat or plane).

Coppers have got no sense of humour sometimes : )

The pub sounds like the Pier. Had the "Animal Bar" with mesh screens to stop
the patrons jumping the counter.

Port Hedland has grown to where you probably wouldn't recognise it. It's
even now bursting at the seams from the demand for accomodation created by
mining. Infrastructure cannot keep up.To give you an idea, house rental
prices are currently ranging from $800 per week to $2,500 per week, - most
in the $2000 region. It's killing the small businesses, they can't find
accomodation for employees that is anywhere near affordable. So it has
become a soulless place with the majority only living there short term in
houses where the mining companies pay their rent. When the mining stops, it
will be a ghost town.

Broome has lost much of its old charm, it's also grown rapidly, but is just
a very expensive tourist trap. Derby has grown, but nowhere near as much, -
still a sleepy country town.

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

(Ask me about the time we pretty well wrecked the only pub open in
Port Hedland and ended up in gaol for the night (basically a chain
link fenced, dog kennel) ... way before you could get there, easily,
any other way than by boat or plane).

Coppers have got no sense of humour sometimes : )

They just locked us down so they could get some rest. The next night we
had to move them off the cooler cover to get a beer ... after closing
time.

[...]

IIRC, in Port Hedland it was Ansett-ANA who flew in twice a week with an
overnight layover for the crew. The stewardesses were cute, and so
were we apparently, thus the attraction was mutual, but alas, no where
to fulfill desires in such a tiny town!

The local Catholic priest, Father Tobin, IIRC, whose acquaintance we
made in the local pub's public bar, would let us and the stewardesses
party in the rectory after the pub closed ... and party we did, blessed
in _ALL_ aspects of our mutual attractions by Father Tobin's
understanding (and, thinking back, possible tinge of envy), for he was a
young priest who was 'tres cool' waaaaay before his time!

Bless you Father, for we did sin ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Swingman" wrote in message
news:ip-dnT1irJV4E2HXnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@giganews. to fulfill desires in such
a tiny town!

The local Catholic priest, Father Tobin, IIRC, whose acquaintance we made
in the local pub's public bar, would let us and the stewardesses party in
the rectory after the pub closed ... and party we did, blessed in _ALL_
aspects of our mutual attractions by Father Tobin's understanding (and,
thinking back, possible tinge of envy), for he was a young priest who was
'tres cool' waaaaay before his time!

Bless you Father, for we did sin ...

Heh. Some really good down to earth types among them, especially in the
north.

Was his first name Noel? If so, this is his e-mail add.

Retired from Geraldton diocese, which covers Port Hedland

diggerop

Posted to rec.woodworking

diggerop wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message
news:ip-dnT1irJV4E2HXnZ2dnUVZ_tudnZ2d@giganews. to fulfill desires in
such a tiny town!

The local Catholic priest, Father Tobin, IIRC, whose acquaintance we
made in the local pub's public bar, would let us and the stewardesses
party in the rectory after the pub closed ... and party we did,
blessed in _ALL_ aspects of our mutual attractions by Father Tobin's
understanding (and, thinking back, possible tinge of envy), for he was
a young priest who was 'tres cool' waaaaay before his time!

Bless you Father, for we did sin ...

Heh. Some really good down to earth types among them, especially in the
north.

Was his first name Noel? If so, this is his e-mail add.

Retired from Geraldton diocese, which covers Port Hedland

Being much much closer to a good catholic upbringing at the time, he
was, respectfully, "Father Tobin" to me and I don't recall his first
name, although he couldn't have been ten years older than me.

Son-of-gun! ... (don't know if he would remember, but what the hell, may
give it a go, thanks!).

But damn ... that was 46 years ago!

Small world, eh ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Unique Aussie Furniture Lee Michaels Woodworking 3 June 17th 07 12:41 AM
Aussie Planes John B Woodworking 1 January 25th 06 04:33 PM
OT Aussie released from torture camp Roger Martin Metalworking 28 February 13th 05 10:52 PM
Startingprocedure for Vicmark 300 with aussie electronics? Bjarte Runderheim Woodturning 4 November 6th 04 04:50 PM
OT - COOL AUSSIE "TRAIN" Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT Woodworking 1 July 10th 03 10:24 AM