Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Aussie English can be a ******* #1

diggerop wrote:
"Swingman" wrote in message

(Ask me about the time we pretty well wrecked the only pub open in
Port Hedland and ended up in gaol for the night (basically a chain
link fenced, dog kennel) ... way before you could get there, easily,
any other way than by boat or plane).

Coppers have got no sense of humour sometimes : )

They just locked us down so they could get some rest. The next night we
had to move them off the cooler cover to get a beer ... after closing
time.

The pub sounds like the Pier. Had the "Animal Bar" with mesh screens to
stop the patrons jumping the counter.

Port Hedland has grown to where you probably wouldn't recognise it.
It's even now bursting at the seams from the demand for accomodation
created by mining. Infrastructure cannot keep up.To give you an idea,
house rental prices are currently ranging from $800 per week to $2,500
per week, - most in the $2000 region. It's killing the small businesses,
they can't find accomodation for employees that is anywhere near
affordable. So it has become a soulless place with the majority only
living there short term in houses where the mining companies pay their
rent. When the mining stops, it will be a ghost town.

Broome has lost much of its old charm, it's also grown rapidly, but is
just a very expensive tourist trap. Derby has grown, but nowhere near as
much, - still a sleepy country town.

IIRC, in Port Hedland it was Ansett-ANA who flew in twice a week with an
overnight layover for the crew. The stewardesses were cute, and so
were we apparently, thus the attraction was mutual, but alas, no where
to fulfill desires in such a tiny town!

The local Catholic priest, Father Tobin, IIRC, whose acquaintance we
made in the local pub's public bar, would let us and the stewardesses
party in the rectory after the pub closed ... and party we did, blessed
in _ALL_ aspects of our mutual attractions by Father Tobin's
understanding (and, thinking back, possible tinge of envy), for he was a
young priest who was 'tres cool' waaaaay before his time!

Bless you Father, for we did sin ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08