Posted to rec.woodworking
diggerop diggerop is offline

Default Aussie English can be a ******* #1

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message

"diggerop" toobusy@themoment wrote in message

Try this on for size. What is the conversation all about?

"The missus says she saw a Joe Blake. Thought I'd go take a captain."
"Do you need a hand?"
"Nah. I've got me bowyangs and I'll give it a burl with the bluey. She'll
be apples"

diggerop : )

Wife saw a snake
bowyangs are boot protectors or leathers
Chase with the dog? and then she'll be happy

Am I close?

That was quick.

You got the gist of it, though not exactly. Close enough for me : )
Hens teeth on their way as soon as I get them from the supplier.

Joe Blake = snake
Take a captain = Captain Cook = take a look
Bowyangs = leather straps or often string, used to tie moleskins (Heavy
cotton trousers) to the tops of a man's boot, purpose being to keep grass
seeds out of his boots and socks and also make it more difficult for a snake
to strike the skin of the leg.
Bluey = blue heeler (Australian cattle dog. ) Very fast and protective dogs.
Good ones can grab a snake by the back of the neck and kill it.
She'll be apples = Nothing to do with the wife, - used as a reply to his
mates query if he'd like a hand, it means "no thanks, I'll be fine on my
own."

diggerop