Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default New shop snake part 2

He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:

He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

Can't tell from the picture. Is that a small diamondback?
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

Guess he'll take care of the mice. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

A new kind of push stick! :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 6, 11:03 am, alexy wrote:
tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

Can't tell from the picture. Is that a small diamondback?

About 2-plus feet. I just gently evicted him out into the sunshine.
The old snake we had around here unfortunately got caught up in a rat
trap kept in another corner. Looks like I'll have to establish a
rapport with the new guy.

Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

"Steve Turner" wrote in message
tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

A new kind of push stick! :-)

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Nope, snakes take care of the mice, therefore, there's no downside of using
cats for pushsticks....

Brought to you by people eating tasty animals

jc

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

A new kind of push stick! :-)

Nope, snakes take care of the mice, therefore, there's no downside of using
cats for pushsticks....

Brought to you by people eating tasty animals

Hmm, I think I'd rather have a cat to take care of the mice... I wouldn't want to walk into
my shop and have that thing snap me on the leg.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:56:31 -0700 (PDT), tom wrote:

He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

If that was my shop it would be for sale! Well, it would be right
after I cleaned out my shorts.

Gordon Shumway

One positive thing about 'Cash for Clunkers' is that
it took thousands of Obama bumper stickers off the road.
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
He still sleeps. *http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/
A new kind of push stick! *:-)

Nope, snakes take care of the mice, therefore, there's no downside of using
cats for pushsticks....

Brought to you by people eating tasty animals

Hmm, I think I'd rather have a cat to take care of the mice... *I wouldn't want to walk into
my shop and have that thing snap me on the leg.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

My Ex is proof that I ain't afraid of much... but snakes you can keep.
Don't like them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
He still sleeps. *http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/
A new kind of push stick! *:-)

Nope, snakes take care of the mice, therefore, there's no downside of using
cats for pushsticks....

Brought to you by people eating tasty animals

Hmm, I think I'd rather have a cat to take care of the mice... *I wouldn't want to walk into
my shop and have that thing snap me on the leg.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

My Ex is proof that I ain't afraid of much... but snakes you can keep.
Don't like them.

That's what I like about the Yukon, no snakes or skunks except for
Tory politicians.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
On Oct 6, 11:03 am, alexy wrote:
tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

Can't tell from the picture. Is that a small diamondback?
--
Alex -- Replace "nospam" with "mail" to reply by email. Checked
infrequently.

About 2-plus feet. I just gently evicted him out into the sunshine.
The old snake we had around here unfortunately got caught up in a rat
trap kept in another corner. Looks like I'll have to establish a
rapport with the new guy.

You're a braver or crazier man than I to willingly share shop space with a
rattler.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 6, 12:03 pm, Steve Turner wrote:

Hmm, I think I'd rather have a cat to take care of the mice... I wouldn't want to walk into
my shop and have that thing snap me on the leg.

Actually, I've had good relationships with all the rattlers we've had
here over the years. They've always let me know if I was getting too
close. And with two very outdoorsy cats (and one wuss), there's still
room for the snake(s) here. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

Almost-worst case:

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

Be careful.

-Zz
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 6, 4:28 pm, Zz Yzx wrote:
Almost-worst case:

http://www.rattlesnakebite.org/rattlesnakepics.htm

Be careful.

-Zz

Yes. Tom

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 13:01:52 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy
wrote:

On Oct 6, 3:03Â*pm, Steve Turner wrote:
Joe wrote:
"Steve Turner" wrote in message
tom wrote:
He still sleeps. Â*http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/
A new kind of push stick! Â*:-)

Nope, snakes take care of the mice, therefore, there's no downside of using
cats for pushsticks....

Brought to you by people eating tasty animals

Hmm, I think I'd rather have a cat to take care of the mice... Â*I wouldn't want to walk into
my shop and have that thing snap me on the leg.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

My Ex is proof that I ain't afraid of much... but snakes you can keep.
Don't like them.

Diamondback is pretty mild. A 6 foot Puff Adder is a different
story!!!!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 6, 8:48 pm, wrote:

Diamondback is pretty mild. A 6 foot Puff Adder is a different
story!!!!!!

Do not mess with them. Even when they're dead, respect that fang. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

Guess he'll take care of the mice. :-)

So does this:
http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&storeId=10001&langI d=-1&division=TekSupply&productId=15855

plus this:
http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&storeId=10001&langI d=-1&division=TekSupply&productId=109758

... and they won't inject neurotoxins into your bloodstream if you reach
into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 10:20*pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:
tom wrote:
He still sleeps. *http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

Guess he'll take care of the mice. * *:-)

So does this:
http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053....

plus this:
http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053....

* ... and they won't inject neurotoxins into your bloodstream if you reach
into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Could also take care of you: see http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=18195920
or your other critters.

Best is a good ratter live pushstick. You could also train a dog, use
that cute pink thing you just linked to, or a pellet gun.

Luigi
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
On Oct 6, 8:48 pm, wrote:

Diamondback is pretty mild. A 6 foot Puff Adder is a different
story!!!!!!

Do not mess with them. Even when they're dead, respect that fang. Tom

My neighbor told me a story (which I'm not sure is true; the guy is pretty good at
embellishing) about being with a friend when they killed a rattler. My neighbor was getting
ready to cut the rattle off as a souvenir, but his friend stopped him with a "WHOA!" He
stepped on the snake's neck and cut the head off first, then said "Ok, now you can get the
rattle". As soon as my neighbor started cutting the rattle off, the snake's body reflexed
and the bloody stub where the head had been hit him right in the calf.

--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:48:16 -0400, clare wrote:
Diamondback is pretty mild. A 6 foot Puff Adder is a different
story!!!!!!

Bit of a size exaggeration as a puffy rarely exceeds 1m (3') but a 6" one
is just as capable of causing death or loss of lots of flesh due to its
venom rotting the bite area.
Nice colouring though.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 6, 11:56*am, tom wrote:
He still sleeps. *http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

I'd have him in my Harbor Freight grabber/pickup thingies and march
his a** to the county line.

If you don't move him ... some risk. If you DO move him, but not
far ... he comes back to your shop ... and you don't necessarily know
it.

BTW: I'm told they taste a LOT like chicken, so ... there's another
option....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Neil Brooks wrote:
On Oct 6, 11:56 am, tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

I'd have him in my Harbor Freight grabber/pickup thingies and march
his a** to the county line.

If you don't move him ... some risk. If you DO move him, but not
far ... he comes back to your shop ... and you don't necessarily know
it.

BTW: I'm told they taste a LOT like chicken, so ... there's another
option....

Taste like chicken but chewy like clams.

- Doug
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Oct 7, 8:39*am, Doug Winterburn wrote:
Neil Brooks wrote:
On Oct 6, 11:56 am, tom wrote:
He still sleeps. *http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

I'd have him in my Harbor Freight grabber/pickup thingies and march
his a** to the county line.

If you don't move him ... some risk. *If you DO move him, but not
far ... he comes back to your shop ... and you don't necessarily know
it.

BTW: I'm told they taste a LOT like chicken, so ... there's another
option....

Taste like chicken but chewy like clams.

- Doug

[in voice of stereotypical Middle Eastern guy from movies....]

Ah. Well, then. Bring him to me....
Posted to rec.woodworking

Mark & Juanita wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/

Guess he'll take care of the mice. :-)

So does this:
http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&storeId=10001&langI d=-1&division=TekSupply&productId=15855

plus this:
http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&storeId=10001&langI d=-1&division=TekSupply&productId=109758

... and they won't inject neurotoxins into your bloodstream if you reach
into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yeah, but you can't give those a cute little name and get attached to them.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:48:16 -0400, clare wrote:

Diamondback is pretty mild. A 6 foot Puff Adder is a different
story!!!!!!

Not sire what you're calling a puff adder. In Kentucky where I grew up,
a hognose snake was called a puff adder and they're about as harmless as
a snake can get. A lot of country folks were convinced they were
poisonous. They puff up and strike - with their mouth closed! If that
doesn't work, they roll over and play dead. But if you flip them over,
they flip right back - a dead snake is supposed to be on its back :-).

I worked a university exhibit of native snakes at the state fair when a
teenager. When people told me that the hognoses should have been in with
the poisonous snakes, I'd pick one up, force its mouth open, and stick in
a finger. I never got bit. The only problem was that after a couple of
days of being handled, they got so tame they wouldn't roll over anymore.

The only poisonous snakes in the US are rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral
snakes, and water moccasins. There is a "false" water moccasin that has
no poison, but his mouth is so foul that getting bit is almost like
getting stuck with a pungee stick.

AFAIK, only the hognose puffs up like a cobra. If you know of another,
let me know. In the meantime, look at:

http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/ehognos.htm

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:20:28 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

... and they won't inject neurotoxins into your bloodstream if you
reach
into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Rattlesnakes are hemotoxic. Only the coral snake is neurotoxic in the US.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 21:06:19 -0700 (PDT), tom wrote:

On Oct 6, 8:48 pm, wrote:

Diamondback is pretty mild. A 6 foot Puff Adder is a different
story!!!!!!

Do not mess with them. Even when they're dead, respect that fang. Tom

My guys beat him to death with a landrover drive shaft and a garbage
can. A bit of excitement for a little while. Then dug a hole and
buried the remains.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 13:24:17 GMT, phil wrote:

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 23:48:16 -0400, clare wrote:
Diamondback is pretty mild. A 6 foot Puff Adder is a different
story!!!!!!

Bit of a size exaggeration as a puffy rarely exceeds 1m (3') but a 6" one
is just as capable of causing death or loss of lots of flesh due to its
venom rotting the bite area.
Nice colouring though.

This Puffy, in Livingstone Zambia, October 1974, if I remeber
correctly was just over 5 feet long and almost 3 inches in diameter.
He was just inside the shop door when we came back from lunch. The
guys were pretty excited, and searched the whole shop after killing it
to be sure it didn't have a friend along!!!
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 15:39:40 -0500, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

[...]

Try Bitis Arietans - average size is about 40 inches, and thick as a
man's wrist. Can grow to roughly 70 inches in length.
They are responsible for more deaths in Africa than any other snake.
They are "Cytotoxic" - toxic to cells - and can cause severe necrosis
and low blood pressure. Only fatal in about 10% of untreated cases,
their death toll is still very high.

Posted to rec.woodworking

-MIKE- wrote:

Mark & Juanita wrote:
-MIKE- wrote:

tom wrote:
He still sleeps. http://tomeshew.spaces.live.com/
Guess he'll take care of the mice. :-)

So does this:

http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&storeId=10001&langI d=-1&division=TekSupply&productId=15855

plus this:

http://www.teksupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&storeId=10001&langI d=-1&division=TekSupply&productId=109758

... and they won't inject neurotoxins into your bloodstream if you
reach
into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Yeah, but you can't give those a cute little name and get attached to
them.

Not that I'd give a rattler a cute little name and get attached to it
either. Unless of course, "Seven pieces" counts as a cute name

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 22:20:28 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

... and they won't inject neurotoxins into your bloodstream if you
reach
into the wrong place at the wrong time.

Rattlesnakes are hemotoxic. Only the coral snake is neurotoxic in the US.

According to this, we are both right:
http://wc.pima.edu/~bfiero/tucsonecology/animals/venom.htm

"... rattlesnakes often have both hemolytic and neurotoxic elements in their
venom"

Rob Leatham
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 19:53:16 -0400, clare wrote:

The only poisonous snakes in the US are rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral
snakes, and water moccasins. There is a "false" water moccasin that has
no poison, but his mouth is so foul that getting bit is almost like
getting stuck with a pungee stick.

AFAIK, only the hognose puffs up like a cobra. If you know of another,
let me know. In the meantime, look at:

http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/ehognos.htm

Try Bitis Arietans -

Sorry - I was talking about the US, or at most North America. Are you
from Africa?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 08 Oct 2009 10:17:25 -0500, Larry Blanchard
wrote:

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 19:53:16 -0400, clare wrote:

The only poisonous snakes in the US are rattlesnakes, copperheads, coral
snakes, and water moccasins. There is a "false" water moccasin that has
no poison, but his mouth is so foul that getting bit is almost like
getting stuck with a pungee stick.

AFAIK, only the hognose puffs up like a cobra. If you know of another,
let me know. In the meantime, look at:

http://www.snakesandfrogs.com/scra/snakes/ehognos.htm

Try Bitis Arietans -

Sorry - I was talking about the US, or at most North America. Are you
from Africa?

Spent time there.
2 years in Livingstone Zambia, and a shorter time in Burkina Faso.
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 22:05:04 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Rattlesnakes are hemotoxic. Only the coral snake is neurotoxic in the
US.

According to this, we are both right:
http://wc.pima.edu/~bfiero/tucsonecology/animals/venom.htm

"... rattlesnakes often have both hemolytic and neurotoxic elements in
their venom"

Interesting. Now that you've jogged my sometimes faulty memory, I seem
to remember an article from several years ago that mentioned neurotoxins
found in some rattlesnake venom. It (IIRC) said this was something new
and was either an evolutionary change or the result of some
crossbreeding. OTOH, it may just have been the result of better lab work.

I also found it interesting that there is a western variety of coral
snake. I was taught there was only the one native to Florida and
southern Georgia. We live and learn. Thanks for the info.

Posted to rec.woodworking

--
Paul O.
"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
om...
On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 22:05:04 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Rattlesnakes are hemotoxic. Only the coral snake is neurotoxic in the
US.

According to this, we are both right:
http://wc.pima.edu/~bfiero/tucsonecology/animals/venom.htm

"... rattlesnakes often have both hemolytic and neurotoxic elements in
their venom"

Interesting. Now that you've jogged my sometimes faulty memory, I seem
to remember an article from several years ago that mentioned neurotoxins
found in some rattlesnake venom. It (IIRC) said this was something new
and was either an evolutionary change or the result of some
crossbreeding. OTOH, it may just have been the result of better lab work.

I believe that what is being refered to here is the Mojave Green found in
the Mojave desert in Calif. It supposedly is a cross between a Diamond
Back and an African Green snake. I have run across a few wandering around
in the desert. Looks like a Diamond Back with a greenish tint. They say if
you get bit out in the desert, that you won't have time to get anywhere
for help.

Paul O.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Paul" wrote:

I believe that what is being refered to here is the Mojave Green
found in the Mojave desert in Calif. It supposedly is a cross
between a Diamond Back and an African Green snake. I have run
across a few wandering around in the desert. Looks like a Diamond
Back with a greenish tint. They say if you get bit out in the
desert, that you won't have time to get anywhere for help.

Sounds like the same snake I was referring to in my earlier post.

If you expect to survive the bite, you have to be lucky enough to be
quick and get to an E/R which has the right serum according to the
local news.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:07:32 +0000 (GMT), Stuart
wrote:

In article
,
Luigi Zanasi wrote:

That's what I like about the Yukon, no snakes or skunks except for
Tory politicians.

The only poisonous snake we have in the UK is the Adder, rarely fatal
except to the very young or very frail. Also very rarely found.

The skunks here are Labour politicians.

We have timber rattlers, water moccasins, pigmy rattler, and
copperhead. Copperheads are common, shy, but you always need to know
where you are putting your hands and feet. We also have large black
rat snakes, some 7 feet long, but these are harmless and feast on
copperheads.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Phisherman" wrote:

We also have large black
rat snakes, some 7 feet long, but these are harmless and feast on
copperheads.

If that is the same black snake I know, they do a better job than a
cat around the barn keeping the rat/mouse population under control.

Lew

New shop snake! tom Woodworking 20 October 31st 09 11:57 PM
Shop Tricks From PM - Part III Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 2 May 25th 09 11:58 PM
Convert model w/snake, to non-snake? karlt10 Woodworking 4 November 26th 06 08:23 AM
The Time The Monkey Came To Live At Rube's Shop-Part Of GoodBye-4 Tom Watson Woodworking 1 January 18th 06 07:14 AM
How come your shop smells so funny? Part II DOC Metalworking 14 December 20th 04 06:52 AM