Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

Default New shop snake!

Back in the corner behind the drill press, where I store hazardous
materials for later disposal, he sleeps... Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:54:06 -0700, tom wrote:

Back in the corner behind the drill press, where I store hazardous
materials for later disposal, he sleeps... Tom

I like snakes, but how do you hear a warning rattle with a power tool
running?

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:54:06 -0700, tom wrote:

Back in the corner behind the drill press, where I store hazardous
materials for later disposal, he sleeps... Tom

I like snakes, but how do you hear a warning rattle with a power tool
running?

I certainly hope Tom is in habit of wearing his boots in the shop if
going to let it nest there permanently--they're useful and I don't kill
them but certainly do move them away from the places that are commonly
inhabited/working.

They'll warn if they have time and feel encroached upon, but stick a
hand in front of one not knowing it happens to be there or step on his
tail and he'll strike first, warn later....got the t-shirt; fortunately,
did have on boots and that was the saver of the calf muscle. That was
50 years ago or so and I hope it's yet another 50 before a repeat
performance.

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

--

Holy *! So he missed you? Yes, I'm careful. I saw him from about 3
feet away, while I was moving toward the recycling area in the corner.
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
He was so cold he didn't move after petting/waking him with a loop of
rope on a stick. You don't really step/reach into unknown territory
anywhere here, even if it's within 200 feet of the house. And I built
that drill press cabinet specially so a snake couldn't hide easily. I
suppose I'll soon repair that garage door gasket. Tom

Where are you located?

To reply, eat the taco.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bbqboyee/

Posted to rec.woodworking

Steve Turner wrote:
tom wrote:
He was so cold he didn't move after petting/waking him with a loop of
rope on a stick. You don't really step/reach into unknown territory
anywhere here, even if it's within 200 feet of the house. And I built
that drill press cabinet specially so a snake couldn't hide easily. I
suppose I'll soon repair that garage door gasket. Tom

Where are you located?

My 1st guess, Arizona.
2nd guess, New Mexico.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 6, 8:29 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

My 1st guess, Arizona.
2nd guess, New Mexico.

Tucson.
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:
On Oct 6, 8:29 pm, -MIKE- wrote:

My 1st guess, Arizona.
2nd guess, New Mexico.

Tucson.

Ding, ding, ding!

What's my prize?

Yeah, yeah, I know. :-)

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

Subject

I'll pass.

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:

Back in the corner behind the drill press, where I store hazardous
materials for later disposal, he sleeps... Tom

Dude! Glad things turned out OK. Saw further down you are in Tucson
also. Not sure my approach would have been to tap him with a rope on a
stick -- more like smack him firmly with a pointy stick

Rob Leatham

Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

tom wrote:
On Oct 6, 4:27 pm, dpb wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

Well, no, he didn't really miss, just that he got just below the top of
the boot shaft (every cowboy wears his boots punchin' cattle ). I
dismounted at gate to open and he was on backside of the post sorta'
around it in the weeds/grass. I stepped either on or close enough to
the rattler end that he felt it and reached around the front side and
got my other boot full on. Left a goodly set of double scratches and
the tip of one fang. Fortunately, he then retreated into the warning
pose and it was a draw although I'm sure while he was startled I was far
more frightened. I was about 14/15...

The other fable besides the "they'll _always_ warn" one disproved that
day was that "the horse will always know they're there first"...

Haven't seen too many this summer probably because the horde of barn
cats pretty much keeps the rodents and most other stuff out of the barn
and other outbuildings (the coyotes haven't been doing their job of
thinning the herd very effectively). See them most often sunning in the
road...

We've never had a real infestation right around us but over west of town
10-15 miles where they have always had prairie dog infestations you
don't do anything w/o looking first...

Posted to rec.woodworking
tom tom is offline

On Oct 6, 10:15 pm, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Dude! Glad things turned out OK. Saw further down you are in Tucson
also. Not sure my approach would have been to tap him with a rope on a
stick -- more like smack him firmly with a pointy stick

Unless you've moved recently, I'm less than a couple of miles from
you. Tom
Posted to rec.woodworking

tom wrote:

anywhere here, even if it's within 200 feet of the house. And I built
that drill press cabinet specially so a snake couldn't hide easily. I
suppose I'll soon repair that garage door gasket. Tom

I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of guy, but I do have a country
boys attitude about snakes ... poisonous one can be tough on your dogs
and grandchildren.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

dpb wrote:

... See them most often sunning in the
road...

Cats, too...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 07 Oct 2009 08:23:49 -0500, Swingman wrote:

tom wrote:

anywhere here, even if it's within 200 feet of the house. And I built
that drill press cabinet specially so a snake couldn't hide easily. I
suppose I'll soon repair that garage door gasket. Tom

I'm pretty much a live and let live kind of guy, but I do have a country
boys attitude about snakes ... poisonous one can be tough on your dogs
and grandchildren.

I used to catch garter, king, and black snakes and turn them loose in our
garden. Never had to spray for bugs :-).

Now I have a wife who's deathly afraid of them, but since I'm getting too
old to spend a lot of time gardeniing I don't care.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 6 Oct 2009 10:54:06 -0700 (PDT), tom wrote:

Back in the corner behind the drill press, where I store hazardous
materials for later disposal, he sleeps... Tom

I have a blue-tailed skink in my shop that sits on top of a concrete
block when the sunlight hits it. Some day he will catch that pesky
cricket hiding in the sawdust. I provide a small water dish for him,
and he takes care of the spiders.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"dpb" wrote in message
tom wrote:
On Oct 6, 4:27 pm, dpb wrote:
Larry Blanchard wrote:
[...]

i've heard that people have been killing the so many of the ones who do
rattle that the ones who don't are reproducing and passing down that trait.
i had one that was living under my trash can who didn't rattle til i poked
him with the long handled shovel.

didn't think the wife could move that fast tho. she makes me take out the
trash now.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:17:02 -0700, charlie wrote:

i've heard that people have been killing the so many of the ones who do
rattle that the ones who don't are reproducing and passing down that
trait.

That could well be. I have a strong suspicion that cougars are losing
their fear of humans now that they aren't hunted any more. The fear is
no longer a survival trait.

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
om...
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:17:02 -0700, charlie wrote:

i've heard that people have been killing the so many of the ones who do
rattle that the ones who don't are reproducing and passing down that
trait.

That could well be. I have a strong suspicion that cougars are losing
their fear of humans now that they aren't hunted any more. The fear is
no longer a survival trait.

you mean like this?

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMG_4692.jpg
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMG_4698.jpg

this was my back patio with the neighborhood bobcat

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 18:27:00 -0500, the infamous dpb
scrawled the following:

Larry Blanchard wrote:
On Tue, 06 Oct 2009 10:54:06 -0700, tom wrote:

Back in the corner behind the drill press, where I store hazardous
materials for later disposal, he sleeps... Tom

I like snakes, but how do you hear a warning rattle with a power tool
running?

I certainly hope Tom is in habit of wearing his boots in the shop if

And let's hope they're not the type with the cut-down tops, huh?

---

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:14:28 -0700, the infamous "charlie"
scrawled the following:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news:OsqdnevENNwXmUjXnZ2dnUVZ_radnZ2d@pghconnect. com...
On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 14:17:02 -0700, charlie wrote:

i've heard that people have been killing the so many of the ones who do
rattle that the ones who don't are reproducing and passing down that
trait.

That could well be. I have a strong suspicion that cougars are losing
their fear of humans now that they aren't hunted any more. The fear is
no longer a survival trait.

you mean like this?

http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMG_4692.jpg
http://s587.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=IMG_4698.jpg

this was my back patio with the neighborhood bobcat

Mr. Bobcat is just sitting there, almost yawning, while your herd is
in full panic mode. That's hilarious. I can almost hear the PFfffft!
from the pics. Har!

When I was living in Vista, CA, I was taken by a friend over to
Oceanside to a couple who adopted a tame mountain lion. They named it
Kitty and kept her outside on the back patio. I got to sit down next
to it and saw that her paws anf forelegs were the same size as my
hands (fist) and forearms. Amazing. I petted him and scratched her
neck and got a very throaty purr. Sounded more like a Harley idling.
She allowed me to play with her for several minutes before getting up
and dragging about 100 lbs of chain back across the yard and jumping
casually up onto the roof in back. At that point the neighbor dog
went ape****. I heard 2 weeks later that the stupid mutt got through
the fence somehow and became Kitty's lunch. Animal Control took her
and killed her for doing that, damnit. I almost cried, but I was too
angry at the dog and the neighbors who caused her death.

That was an extremely fun afternoon, and a very dangerous experience.
She'd been declawed but not defanged so she was still lethal, as the
idiot barker next door found out.

RIP, Kitty. I'll remember you 'til my dying day.

To bring this back on topic, it was a wooden dog fence.

---

Snake ID SteveB Home Repair 21 September 14th 07 04:56 PM
Convert model w/snake, to non-snake? karlt10 Woodworking 4 November 26th 06 08:23 AM
toilet snake bevusa Home Repair 1 April 19th 06 01:46 AM
snake recommendations mike Home Repair 3 November 19th 04 03:57 AM