Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Dave

Default IPE Butcher Block Table

I happen to stumbled across an inexpensive source for a wood called IPE
http://www.woodfinder.net/woods/ipe.htm and am considering making a butcher
block table top out of it. It's slightly dark for my taste, but SWMBO
really likes it for some reason. The sample I have is very hard and very
dense - it barely floats. I'm considering an end-grain top with dimensions
somewhere around 22x34x10 inches glued from 3/4 stock. I've never worked
with this stuff (IPE) before, but it seems *plenty* hard and very fine
grained - a good combination for a butcher block top. BTW, the sample I
have comes from a deck supply wholesaler.

The top alone would be heavy (around 300 lbs), which implies very stable if
the base is constructed correctly g. No problem, other then moving it
around when it's finished...

(1) Does anyone know what the toxicity of IPE wood is, or care to comment on
it's suitability for this application?

(2) In it's natural state, this wood feels somewhat "oily" (for lack of a
better term). Is TightBond II going to hold it together assuming it's
planed/jointed/clamped appropriately, etc., or will I need another type of
glue?

Any other experiences working with this wood appreciated, including answers
to any questions I should have asked but didn't (or didn't know to ask)

Thanks,

++ Dave