Bernard Randall

Default IPE Butcher Block Table

"Dave" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I happen to stumbled across an inexpensive source for a wood called IPE
http://www.woodfinder.net/woods/ipe.htm and am considering making a

butcher
block table top out of it. It's slightly dark for my taste, but SWMBO
really likes it for some reason. The sample I have is very hard and very
dense - it barely floats. I'm considering an end-grain top with

dimensions
somewhere around 22x34x10 inches glued from 3/4 stock. I've never worked
with this stuff (IPE) before, but it seems *plenty* hard and very fine
grained - a good combination for a butcher block top. BTW, the sample I
have comes from a deck supply wholesaler.

The top alone would be heavy (around 300 lbs), which implies very stable

if
the base is constructed correctly g. No problem, other then moving it
around when it's finished...

(1) Does anyone know what the toxicity of IPE wood is, or care to comment

on
it's suitability for this application?

(2) In it's natural state, this wood feels somewhat "oily" (for lack of a
better term). Is TightBond II going to hold it together assuming it's
planed/jointed/clamped appropriately, etc., or will I need another type of
glue?

Any other experiences working with this wood appreciated, including

answers
to any questions I should have asked but didn't (or didn't know to ask)

Thanks,

++ Dave

December issue of Fine WW had an article on gluing oily woods like teak,

rosewood, cocobolo. One of the practices is to wipe the wood with
solvel(laquer thinner, etc) immediately before gluing up. I know this is
the method West epoxy resin recommends for teak in boat work.

The only toxicity reports seem to be that some individuals have skin
irritation from sawdust created by maching operations.

The dimensions you mention are similar to the tradition butcher block that
were in common use in the U.K. in the past. I once was asked to
re-condition one of these and found they were through bolted in both the X &
Y axes to counter act the tremendous seasonal expansion/contraction
pressure, these blocks were usually made from beech and were subject to
daily scrub down. Just a thought.

Bernard R