Steve Knight

Default IPE Butcher Block Table

The sample I have is very hard and very
dense - it barely floats. I'm considering an end-grain top with dimensions
somewhere around 22x34x10 inches glued from 3/4 stock. I've never worked
with this stuff (IPE) before, but it seems *plenty* hard and very fine
grained - a good combination for a butcher block top. BTW, the sample I
have comes from a deck supply wholesaler.

ipe is very hard for sure. it may dull your knives (G)

(1) Does anyone know what the toxicity of IPE wood is, or care to comment on
it's suitability for this application?

it is a oily wood is I don't know if it would be a great idea. but it would hold
up to water very well. it would outlast you.

(2) In it's natural state, this wood feels somewhat "oily" (for lack of a
better term). Is TightBond II going to hold it together assuming it's
planed/jointed/clamped appropriately, etc., or will I need another type of
glue?

you need to freshly mill it then use a poly glue gorilla glue is the best.
dampen both sides too.

Any other experiences working with this wood appreciated, including answers
to any questions I should have asked but didn't (or didn't know to ask)

lots of very fine dust. cuts cleaning and planes well too. a lot of work to sand
though.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes