Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Dust Collector advice

HF just came out with a dust collector for $349 that is "supposed" to have a
CFM of 2760. It comes with an adapter to provide 3, 3 3/4", ports. Of
course, the adapter can be despensed with and you can jury rig any size
port you want.

Now for the question. My shop drops, on my current DC system are 4" PVC and
the DC "supposedly" has a CFM of 1200. Could I run something rated at
twice what I am currently using on those 4"pipes? If so, would there be a
degradation in effeciency?

I am currently running just the impeller and motor unit of a HF dust
collector and routing it through a cyclone and venting the dust outside the
shop in a little, specially built, "outhouse" What I was thinking of doing
is just buying the motor and impeller (less than $200) and replacing the
existing blower.

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 27, 1:23*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
HF just came out with a dust collector for $349 that is "supposed" to have a
CFM of 2760. *It comes with an adapter to provide 3, 3 3/4", ports. *Of
course, the adapter can be despensed with and you can jury rig any size
port you want.

99dB? Wow!

Now for the question. *My shop drops, on my current DC system are 4" PVC and
the DC "supposedly" has a CFM of 1200. *Could I run something rated at
twice what I am currently using on those 4"pipes? *If so, would there be a
degradation in effeciency?

There will certainly be a degradation in efficiency, but it still may
be better than what you have now. ...if you can somehow call 99dB
"better".

I am currently running just the impeller and motor unit of a HF dust
collector and routing it through a cyclone and venting the dust outside the
shop in a little, specially built, "outhouse" *What I was thinking of doing
is just buying the motor and impeller (less than $200) and replacing the
existing blower.

Your dust just goes outside? No filter? I thought about doing that,
but thought the neighbors would get out the torches. ;-) Instead,
I'm leaning towards putting my shop over the garage and leave the DC
(Penn State ordered - not shipped yet :-( ) down in the garage with
the compressor.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 27, 2:36*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 27, 1:23*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:

HF just came out with a dust collector for $349 that is "supposed" to have a
CFM of 2760. *It comes with an adapter to provide 3, 3 3/4", ports. *Of
course, the adapter can be despensed with and you can jury rig any size
port you want.

99dB? *Wow!

If the HF DC runs at 99dB...

Does that mean this one will also run at 99dB?
http://www.lagunatools.com/dustcollector-platinum3

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2009-08-27, Limp Arbor wrote:

If the HF DC runs at 99dB...

Does that mean this one will also run at 99dB?
http://www.lagunatools.com/dustcollector-platinum3

With the exception of the collection bags, the two systems look
identical.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:56:21 -0700 (PDT), Limp Arbor
wrote:

On Aug 27, 2:36*pm, " wrote:
On Aug 27, 1:23*pm, "Dr. Deb" wrote:

HF just came out with a dust collector for $349 that is "supposed" to have a
CFM of 2760. *It comes with an adapter to provide 3, 3 3/4", ports. *Of
course, the adapter can be despensed with and you can jury rig any size
port you want.

99dB? *Wow!

If the HF DC runs at 99dB...

Does that mean this one will also run at 99dB?
http://www.lagunatools.com/dustcollector-platinum3

Could be, but I'll never find out. 70dB is more in line with reality.

Posted to rec.woodworking

All dust collection questions are to be taken to the God of DC Bill
Pentz. Read from his wisdom and learn.

http://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

Interesting note, living in California I never worried about it but I
have heard that venting to the outside can evacuate all of the heat
from your shop and that can be an issue in colder clims.

On Aug 27, 11:23*am, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

[...]

I noticed the 99db level, but I can wall it off to reduce the overall effect
of the noise. The main thing I am interested in is the effeciency. Would
I be better off using the $200 to take my wife out for a really nice dinner
or upgrading the DC?

I know, it is impossible to tell until I do it. But Scripture says, "There
is wisdom in many counslors." :-)

Deb
Posted to rec.woodworking

Dr. Deb wrote:

I noticed the 99db level, but I can wall it off to reduce the overall effect
of the noise. The main thing I am interested in is the effeciency. Would
I be better off using the $200 to take my wife out for a really nice dinner
or upgrading the DC?

Now /that's/ a tough question. What's the db reading on your wife?

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Morris Dovey" wrote in message
Dr. Deb wrote:

I noticed the 99db level, but I can wall it off to reduce the overall
effect
of the noise. The main thing I am interested in is the effeciency.
Would
I be better off using the $200 to take my wife out for a really nice
dinner
or upgrading the DC?

Now /that's/ a tough question. What's the db reading on your wife?

My thoughts exactly... then again if you leave the collector on it may drown
out the other...

Posted to rec.woodworking

Morris Dovey wrote:

Dr. Deb wrote:

I noticed the 99db level, but I can wall it off to reduce the overall
effect
of the noise. The main thing I am interested in is the effeciency.
Would I be better off using the $200 to take my wife out for a really
nice dinner or upgrading the DC?

Now /that's/ a tough question. What's the db reading on your wife?

Actually, the wife is about 30db. So using the DC to drown her out is
really serious over kill. ;-)

Deb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Aug 28, 7:00*am, "Dr. Deb" wrote:
Morris Dovey wrote:
Dr. Deb wrote:

I noticed the 99db level, but I can wall it off to reduce the overall
effect
of the noise. *The main thing I am interested in is the effeciency.
Would I be better off using the $200 to take my wife out for a really
nice dinner or upgrading the DC?

Now /that's/ a tough question. What's the db reading on your wife?

Actually, the wife is about 30db. *So using the DC to drown her out is
really serious over kill. *;-)

You really shouldn't say things like that in a public forum. Next
you're going to be tell us about the one-armed man...

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 08/27/2009 12:23 PM, Dr. Deb wrote:

HF just came out with a dust collector for $349 that is "supposed" to have a
CFM of 2760. It comes with an adapter to provide 3, 3 3/4", ports. Of
course, the adapter can be despensed with and you can jury rig any size
port you want.

That unit has 5 micron bags, which isn't great. It also needs far more
filter area to work properly. A rough calculation shows the filters to
be undersized by at least a factor of 4 for the nominal airflow.

Chris
Posted to rec.woodworking
Joe Joe is offline

By this chart, I wouldn't buy anything rated at 99db, no matter how good the
(perceived) deal.

http://www.gcaudio.com/resources/howtos/loudness.html

jc