Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen

Default Delta Dust collector upgrade advice wanted

Hello Group,
I have one of the Delta 3/4 hp roll-around dust collectors. (For those
unfamiliar with this model it has the motor/blower set on top of a 30
gallon can and exhausts though a cloth bag. It has served me well
except I'm certain it allows some fine dust to be dispersed throughout
the room. One thought I had was to run the ehaust to a window mounted
flange but this would pump a lot of warm air outside. I'd prefer to
add a second stage if possible.
Any suggestions- both generic or commercial are welcome. Since I just
upgraded my shop equipment to include a a 15 inch planer plus a new
table saw and jointer I'm having serious thoughts about making my DC
stationary and serving all equipment instead of rolling it around as
I've done in the past.
Thanks in advance for your comments,

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
George

"marc rosen" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello Group,
I have one of the Delta 3/4 hp roll-around dust collectors. (For those
unfamiliar with this model it has the motor/blower set on top of a 30
gallon can and exhausts though a cloth bag. It has served me well
except I'm certain it allows some fine dust to be dispersed throughout
the room. One thought I had was to run the ehaust to a window mounted
flange but this would pump a lot of warm air outside. I'd prefer to
add a second stage if possible.
Any suggestions- both generic or commercial are welcome. Since I just
upgraded my shop equipment to include a a 15 inch planer plus a new
table saw and jointer I'm having serious thoughts about making my DC
stationary and serving all equipment instead of rolling it around as
I've done in the past.
Thanks in advance for your comments,

Felt Bag if you're just fastidious. If you're fastidious, flush with bucks
and want to revise your rolling stand, one of the folded paper filters. Any
place that sells replacement or "upgrade" bags should have them.

Had mine for years, guess the cake inside the standard bag has consolidated,
because running it in front of the light shows about zilch.

Posted to rec.woodworking
marc rosen

Hello George,
With my current shop lighting I only see dust coming out when I turn on
the DC. I guess as the relaxed bag inflates it allows some leakage
through the mesh. I'll check out the folded paper bags. Thanks,
Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

marc rosen said:

Hello George,
With my current shop lighting I only see dust coming out when I turn on
the DC. I guess as the relaxed bag inflates it allows some leakage
through the mesh. I'll check out the folded paper bags. Thanks,
Marc

Err... that would be sintered felt _bags_,
or pleated paper filter _cartridges_

Felt bags aren't too expensive, pleated paper cartridge retrofits are.
And you need some mechanism to knock the dust out of the cartridges
occasionally.

FWIW,

Greg G.

Posted to rec.woodworking
dnoyeB

marc rosen wrote:
Hello Group,
I have one of the Delta 3/4 hp roll-around dust collectors. (For those
unfamiliar with this model it has the motor/blower set on top of a 30
gallon can and exhausts though a cloth bag. It has served me well
except I'm certain it allows some fine dust to be dispersed throughout
the room. One thought I had was to run the ehaust to a window mounted
flange but this would pump a lot of warm air outside. I'd prefer to
add a second stage if possible.
Any suggestions- both generic or commercial are welcome. Since I just
upgraded my shop equipment to include a a 15 inch planer plus a new
table saw and jointer I'm having serious thoughts about making my DC
stationary and serving all equipment instead of rolling it around as
I've done in the past.
Thanks in advance for your comments,

Marc

How about one of those buckets of water thats supposed to catch the dust
from a clothes dryer so you can vent it indoors? Didnt work too well fo
rmy mothers dryer though...

--
Thank you,

Posted to rec.woodworking
Pat Barber

Call these folks and ask them:

http://www.americanfabricfilter.com/bags_wood.htm

I would also consider getting a MUCH bigger unit and
setup a more effective arrangement that doesn't require
all that rolling around.

The Delta 1.5hp is an excellent unit for smaller shops.

You can use a garbage can setup and have a fairly effective
two stage arrangement. "If" you have the room and money,
look at the "Dust Gorilla" from Oneida.

http://store.oneida-air.com/Merchant...C ode=GORILLA

marc rosen wrote:

Hello Group,
I have one of the Delta 3/4 hp roll-around dust collectors. (For those
unfamiliar with this model it has the motor/blower set on top of a 30
gallon can and exhausts though a cloth bag. It has served me well
except I'm certain it allows some fine dust to be dispersed throughout
the room. One thought I had was to run the ehaust to a window mounted
flange but this would pump a lot of warm air outside. I'd prefer to
add a second stage if possible.
Any suggestions- both generic or commercial are welcome. Since I just
upgraded my shop equipment to include a a 15 inch planer plus a new
table saw and jointer I'm having serious thoughts about making my DC
stationary and serving all equipment instead of rolling it around as
I've done in the past.
Thanks in advance for your comments,

Marc

Posted to rec.woodworking
r49miner

Marc, isolved my dust problem by building a shop cyclone. I got the plans
and research info off the web at

http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/Index.cfm

I'm sure the site has been updated since I did it. The 5hp motor from Harbor
Freight is the only thing I would not go with. I tried it and it just could
not handle the load with out getting hot.

Hope this helps

Chuck