Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Sharpening a Forstner bit?

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis
Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

I use a file on mine all the time.

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and
the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about
it
before I do.

Even an el-cheapo 3.5" Forstner bit is in the $40-$50 range.

Quality bits are more.

Willing to make that bet, you screw it up, you replace it, or would
you rather have a pro do it?

Lew

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 18:44:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

I've not (yet) needed to sharpen a Forstner bit, but Rockler has a kit
of sharpening tools and instructions for $18:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22012

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=Custom&ID=101

should open a white paper on the subject by Highland Woodworking.

If it doesn't, go to http://www.highlandwoodworking.com
scroll to the bottom of the listing on the left under "More Info" and
click on the link "Woodworking Tips Map".
In the right column near the bottom of the page under "Woodworking
Library", click on the link "Sharpening Forstner Bits"

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

I recall that some sixty-five years ago, ie before diamond tools and
suchlike, my revered woodwork teacher told me (with some satisfaction) how
he had managed to sharpen the peripheral edge with a triangular engineer's
scraper.

I've never tried it, but I imagine it would get into the corners more easily
than the rotary and other tools.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote in message
I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional?

Guessing yours doesn't have a carbide inserts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4weRZs0HM

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8/5/2009 8:48 PM jo4hn spake thus:

Highland Hdwe has one [instruction page] at
http://www.google.com/search?q=forstner+bit+sharpening [...]

That seems to be the Google search page you used to find it. The
Highland page is actually at
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=Custom&ID=101

Posted to rec.woodworking

That is a fast and heavy way - I like a cone stone myself.
Use a curve to sharpen a curve.

What I see with the Dremel method - while fast and 'easy' - it can
cut notches and make a wavy line if one isn't perfect in the use.

A stone can be used wrong, but does less in a second to clean up later.

Martin

Tom Veatch wrote:

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=Custom&ID=101

should open a white paper on the subject by Highland Woodworking.

If it doesn't, go to http://www.highlandwoodworking.com
scroll to the bottom of the listing on the left under "More Info" and
click on the link "Woodworking Tips Map".
In the right column near the bottom of the page under "Woodworking
Library", click on the link "Sharpening Forstner Bits"

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Posted to rec.woodworking

wrote:

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

Sure it is possible and sharpening is a good skill for woodworkers.
Natural lighting, magnification, and patience helps.

Sharpening Clamp - Bench - Saw Sharpening Vise2.jpg (1/1) Tom Watson Woodworking Plans and Photos 2 August 21st 08 06:44 PM
Sharpening Clamp - Bench - Saw Sharpening Vise2.jpg (0/1) Tom Watson Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 August 21st 08 02:17 PM
9mm Forstner bit in UK? Norman Billingham[_2_] Woodworking 5 June 16th 08 02:53 PM
Forstner bit Steve UK diy 5 April 3rd 07 07:34 AM
Sharpening a Forstner Bit Ray Sandusky Woodturning 3 September 7th 03 08:01 PM