DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Sharpening a Forstner bit? (https://www.diybanter.com/woodworking/283880-sharpening-forstner-bit.html)

[email protected] August 6th 09 02:44 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

Pat[_5_] August 6th 09 03:16 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

wrote in message
I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

I use a file on mine all the time.

Lew Hodgett[_4_] August 6th 09 03:30 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

wrote:

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and
the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about
it
before I do.

Even an el-cheapo 3.5" Forstner bit is in the $40-$50 range.

Quality bits are more.

Willing to make that bet, you screw it up, you replace it, or would
you rather have a pro do it?

Lew

jo4hn August 6th 09 04:48 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

wrote:
I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

Here's an instruction page that I printed out years ago:
http://wwch.org/techdata/forstner_bit_speeds.jpg

Highland Hdwe has one at
http://www.google.com/search?q=forst...ient=firefox-a
or better yet http://tinyurl.com/kvresl

mahalo,
jo4hn

[email protected] August 6th 09 05:28 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

On Wed, 5 Aug 2009 18:44:27 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

I've not (yet) needed to sharpen a Forstner bit, but Rockler has a kit
of sharpening tools and instructions for $18:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=22012

John

Tom Veatch[_2_] August 6th 09 05:38 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=Custom&ID=101

should open a white paper on the subject by Highland Woodworking.

If it doesn't, go to http://www.highlandwoodworking.com
scroll to the bottom of the listing on the left under "More Info" and
click on the link "Woodworking Tips Map".
In the right column near the bottom of the page under "Woodworking
Library", click on the link "Sharpening Forstner Bits"

Tom Veatch
Wichita, KS
USA

Jeff Gorman[_2_] August 6th 09 08:12 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

wrote

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

I recall that some sixty-five years ago, ie before diamond tools and
suchlike, my revered woodwork teacher told me (with some satisfaction) how
he had managed to sharpen the peripheral edge with a triangular engineer's
scraper.

I've never tried it, but I imagine it would get into the corners more easily
than the rotary and other tools.

Jeff

--
Jeff Gorman, West Yorkshire, UK
email : Username is amgron

Upscale August 6th 09 08:37 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

wrote in message
I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional?

Guessing yours doesn't have a carbide inserts.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt4weRZs0HM

David Nebenzahl August 6th 09 07:14 PM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

On 8/5/2009 8:48 PM jo4hn spake thus:

Highland Hdwe has one [instruction page] at
http://www.google.com/search?q=forstner+bit+sharpening [...]

That seems to be the Google search page you used to find it. The
Highland page is actually at
http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/i...=Custom&ID=101

Tanus August 7th 09 01:55 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

wrote:
I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

I've never sharpened a Forstner.

However, I've sharpened a lot of other tools in the shop. Most of them
successfully. One of the things that has helped me with my approach
towards sharpening is Leonard Lee's book "The Complete Guide to
Sharpening". It's a bit of a heavy read, but virtually anything that can
be sharpened is covered in that book. I recommend it to anyone who ever
thinks they'll have to sharpen any woodworking tools especially, but
most tools in general.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...=1,43072,43091

Tanus

Martin H. Eastburn August 7th 09 02:59 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

That is a fast and heavy way - I like a cone stone myself.
Use a curve to sharpen a curve.

What I see with the Dremel method - while fast and 'easy' - it can
cut notches and make a wavy line if one isn't perfect in the use.

A stone can be used wrong, but does less in a second to clean up later.

Martin

Phisherman[_2_] August 7th 09 10:57 AM

Sharpening a Forstner bit?

wrote:

I have a large (3.5") Forstner bit that has lost its edge. Is there a
DIY way to sharpen it, or is this something that must be done by a
professional? It looks like I might be able to hone the teeth and the
knife edges, but I'd like to hear what you folks have to say about it
before I do.

Thanks.

Lynn Willis

Sure it is possible and sharpening is a good skill for woodworkers.
Natural lighting, magnification, and patience helps.