Posted to rec.woodworking

Default 9mm Forstner bit in UK?

Anyone know where I can buy a 9mm (not 3/8") Forstner or sawtooth bit in the
UK?

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:20:14 +0100, Norman Billingham wrote:

Anyone know where I can buy a 9mm (not 3/8") Forstner or sawtooth bit in
the UK?

Alright, I'll bite... why? Why does 0.525mm make such a difference
(3/8")? Why not use a 9mm centrepoint drill?

I expect you have got good reasons, I'm just curious as to what they
might be...

As an aside, for the hole you need to drill could you plunge a router
instead of using a Forstner? I know I've done that when I needed an odd
sized hole.
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Norman Billingham" norman.at.tumulus.org.uk wrote in message ...
Anyone know where I can buy a 9mm (not 3/8") Forstner or sawtooth bit in the
UK?

I'm a little surprised in the fact +0.52mm isn't accurate enough for you.

However, I wondered if you'd considered a 9mm spade bit for your task? They're more readily available, all indicators on Screwfix and Axminster led to a 3/8ths size bit, for the forstner bit. Rutlands who I consider at the top end of the British market also only do either a 3/8ths or 8 and 10mm forstner bit.

I feel you may have to compromise, or, have your own bit milled to exact specifications?

Regards
John
wheelzuk
Posted to rec.woodworking

"wheelzuk" wrote in message
"Norman Billingham" norman.at.tumulus.org.uk wrote in message
Anyone know where I can buy a 9mm (not 3/8") Forstner or sawtooth bit in
the
UK?

I'm a little surprised in the fact +0.52mm isn't accurate enough for you.

However, I wondered if you'd considered a 9mm spade bit for your task?
They're more readily available, all indicators on Screwfix and Axminster led
to a 3/8ths size bit, for the forstner bit. Rutlands who I consider at the
top end of the British market also only do either a 3/8ths or 8 and 10mm
forstner bit.

I feel you may have to compromise, or, have your own bit milled to exact
specifications?

Just curiosity mixed with perfectionism. I have some 9mm rare earth magnets
I'm using to make door catches. They fit perfectly snugly into a 9mm hole
and are loose in a 3/8" one. A 9mm brad point drill does the job nicely but
is too long to give clearance under the drill press for the edge-on wood.

There are (were) many ways out of the problem, and I did the job with a 9mm
brad point drill on a horizonal borer.

I could have shaved a bit off a 3/8" Forstner and there are other ways of
doing the job but I was surprised to find its so easy to get 3/8" and so
hard to find 9 mm in these metric days - hence the query.

Spade bits are for DIY and rough work not fine cabinet making - unless you
are prepared to do a fair bit of work on them.

Posted to rec.woodworking

Norman Billingham wrote:
"wheelzuk" wrote in message
[...]

Uh, why not just cut off a brad-point bit to the length you need? 30
seconds with a Dremel and you're done.

FWIW, googling "metric forstner bit" showed many sources for 10mm and
larger, and one set with 6mm, but no 9mm--the set jumps from 6 to 10.

There are (were) many ways out of the problem, and I did the job
with
a 9mm brad point drill on a horizonal borer.

I could have shaved a bit off a 3/8" Forstner and there are other
ways of doing the job but I was surprised to find its so easy to get
3/8" and so hard to find 9 mm in these metric days - hence the
query.

Spade bits are for DIY and rough work not fine cabinet making -
unless you are prepared to do a fair bit of work on them.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Norman Billingham wrote:
"wheelzuk" wrote in message
[...]

Mainly becasue if I'd done that with the only 9mm brad point I had to hand I
would have ended up trying to grip the flutes in the chuck!

FWIW, googling "metric forstner bit" showed many sources for 10mm and
larger, and one set with 6mm, but no 9mm--the set jumps from 6 to 10.

Yes - that's what I found. Just wondered if anyone knew better.

Anyway, problem solved now

Thanks to all for comments

Forstner Bits Frank Drackman Woodworking 15 September 5th 07 04:39 AM
Forstner bit Steve UK diy 5 April 3rd 07 07:34 AM
Forstner bit set advice Steve Hall Woodworking 13 March 1st 07 05:07 PM
Forstner bit extension Ian Malcolm Woodturning 6 February 17th 07 12:28 AM
Sharpening a Forstner Bit Ray Sandusky Woodturning 3 September 7th 03 08:01 PM